Apostles, renewed Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I am wondering if there are any articles or books unpacking the idea that the 12 Apostles represent the renewed Israel? I came across something about it awhile ago but, I am at a loss to find it.

Yes. Moses is an eminent type of Christ. Christ expounds the law to the twelve disciples in the Sermon on the Mount, just as Moses delivered the law from Mount Sinai.

See Ada R. Habershon, "A Study of the Types" (Kregel) for all the ways Moses prefigures Christ, including some fanciful notions.

But we learn from Romans 9-11 also, that although Christ is a new beginning for Israel, it isn't such a new beginning that the Israel of God (Gal 6:16) , the NT Church of Jewish and Gentiles believers, isn't a continuation of and engrafting into the root of the OT Israel/Church.

Joshua is also a type of Christ along with Moses, see Habershon. Just as at the beginning of the Book of Joshua, God promised that He would be with the Israelites as they took possession of the Land He had given them, so Christ promised before His Ascension, to be with the Church (the Israel of God/the Commonwealth of Israel - Eph.2) as they conquered the whole Earth with the sword of the Spirit, until the end of the age.

The inheriting of the earth by the Church is a process that is never perfectly fulfilled until the Eschaton (Matt.5:5)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back