April Fools Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
This issue seems to weigh on me every April fools day and I am not sure it has ever been discussed. I have some questions regarding this recognized day of the year.

What I question is why April Fools day is so acceptable when a day such as Halloween is not? April Fools is a day to “celebrate” foolishness and to promote deception. This is certainly not a day set aside by the church but by the world, so why does the Puritan board of all places insist on promoting it?

I do love a good joke and my sense of humor gets carried away at times and sometimes I have come across as offensive due to my dry sense of humor. In such cases the intent whether successful or not is for the receiver of the communication to immediately know that the sender is being facetious. But with April Fools the intent is for the receiver to not know that the sender is being facetious. To me that is simply deception for the sake of entertainment at someone else’s expense.

So I am not sure April Fools is a weaker brother situation or is even a matter of being regarded as offensive, but is a matter where Christians should decide if it is wise to join the world in a day to promote deception for the sake of fun or entertainment.

"To me that is simply deception for the sake of entertainment at someone else’s expense."

This is also known as the movie industry, television, magic show, fiction books and marketing. It's not all bad and it's not all good.

I don't know if we should do such things but I know that I don't get fool on April Fool's Day at all....until I join the PB.

You guys are crazy! But I love ya all.

This issue seems to weigh on me every April fools day and I am not sure it has ever been discussed. I have some questions regarding this recognized day of the year.

What I question is why April Fools day is so acceptable when a day such as Halloween is not? April Fools is a day to “celebrate” foolishness and to promote deception. This is certainly not a day set aside by the church but by the world, so why does the Puritan board of all places insist on promoting it?
Christopher,
You raise some good questions. Something to think about.

"To me that is simply deception for the sake of entertainment at someone else’s expense."

This is also known as the movie industry, television, magic show, fiction books and marketing. It's not all bad and it's not all good.

Good point, but in these cases the receiver of the communication approaches the movie, the magician, the novel, the ad, etc. knowing exactly what these mediums are and what their intent is. The point of April Fools is to catch someone off guard so that they will actually believe something that is not real.

When I read a novel or see a card trick I am actively participating, not blind sided as if saying, "Hey where did this fictional book come from that I mistakenly read and believed to be true?"

Still the element that makes these media entertaining is the unexpected. If you knew what was going to happen then you would not be entertained. Some people go see David Copperfield and still start crying in fear when he saws himself in half. It's the unexpected that gets the adrenaline pumping and isn't that what we are looking for. Adrenaline addiction is the last vice that the fundamentalists haven't found a scripture against yet. Rats, I just gave them an idea. Expecting a verse against adrenaline addiction in 10....9.....8.....7......

Still the element that makes these media entertaining is the unexpected. If you knew what was going to happen then you would not be entertained. Some people go see David Copperfield and still start crying in fear when he saws himself in half. It's the unexpected that gets the adrenaline pumping and isn't that what we are looking for. Adrenaline addiction is the last vice that the fundamentalists haven't found a scripture against yet. Rats, I just gave them an idea. Expecting a verse against adrenaline addiction in 10....9.....8.....7......

I don't see a problem with this and enjoy a good show or book that provides the unexpected. But the audience still provides the required action of attending or watching or reading. April Fools day seems to promote deception where the audience or victim or whatever is passive. They are not willingly opening the book or watching the show; they are unexpectedly fooled in an everyday situation where the expectation is to not be tricked, told a fictional tale, or sold a marketable product etc.

Of course some may wake up April 1st expecting foolishness. But in the case of the magic show only those who pay will get their desired thrill from the unexpected, whereas on this day admission is free and you are attending whether you like it or not.

You've backed me into a corner Christopher and all I can say.... well, all I can say is.....

In ev'ry job that must be done
There is an element of fun
you find the fun and snap!
The job's a game

In ev'ry task you undertake
Becomes a piece of cake
A lark! A spree!
It's very clear to see

That a...
Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
The medicine go down
The medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
In a most delightful way

A robin feathering his nest
Has very little time to rest
While gathering his
Bits of twine and twig

Though quite intent in his pursuit
He has a merry tune to toot
He knows a song
Will move the job along

For a...
The medicine go down
The medicine go down
In a most delightful way

For a...
The medicine go down
The medicine go down
In a most delightful way
In a most delightful way

Why not just let others be funny? Even if you don't think its funny. That's what I do. I don't really "get" AprilFools either, never been a prankster, so I usually got 'gotchad', and it sorta soured me on it by about 3rd grade. But I don't begrudge those who have fun with it, as long as they apologize for inadvertently hurting others. I accept that they didn't mean it in a cruel way.

Why should my standard of funny/sober be everyone else's? Any more than my politics? We try too hard to conform ourselves, and others, to the "Christian" look, feel, sound, etc. What is that anyway?

Maybe if there's a problem, it's with me... So, live and let live.

Bruce, you may not be a prankster but you have been a solid, level headed inspiration to me since I started on the Board. Thank you for your gift of framing a healthy perspective on a myriad of topics.:handshake:

Why can April Fools day be acceptable where Halloween is not?

I question the intent of the day in that it is by design a day to celebrate foolishness. I think more can be said from scripture against God's people celebrating foolishness or making light of deception over dressing up and going door to door asking for candy. Yet the confessional Christian is quick to condemn Halloween and yet promotes and participates in April Fools Day.

Herein lies my :scratch:

I am not saying do not let others be funny and I am not suggesting each one of us conform to the same standard of funny/sober. I can be funny without outright deceiving a person who is not expecting such and then laughing at the fact that they do not know what is going on. That would be funny to me and me alone and not funny to the other person because they are oblivious to the "trick." Once it is revealed then sure it may or may not be funny to them. Their response is not so much the question as the allowance and lightheartedness of foolishness and deception which are both condemned by God's word.

:detective:

Why can April Fools day be acceptable where Halloween is not?

Because Halloween falls on Reformation Day, so we have more important things to celebrate.

(That's my story, stickin' to it). :p

(BTW, like Bruce, I've never been big on AFD, so probably you'd be better off with someone else's opinion).

What ever happened to 'May Day'? That seemed like a nice one. Take a basket of flowers to someone. Leave the basket at the doorstep. Ring the doorbell. And then run!

Kind of like Halloween in reverse!

What ever happened to 'May Day'? That seemed like a nice one. Take a basket of flowers to someone. Leave the basket at the doorstep. Ring the doorbell. And then run!

Kind of like Halloween in reverse!

May Day! May Day!
'Tis the happy play day.
All the woods with flowers are gay,
Lord and ladies come and play.
Hinds and yeomen, queen and king,
Come do honor to the spring,
And join us in our merrymaking!
-E. Nesbit

But there is a darker side to May Day, as shown in the significant ending of the Campion song, "My Love Hath Vow'd"

"If this shame of love's betraying
But this once I cleanly shun
I will go no more a-maying."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back