Are natural talents and gifts from God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood-bought

Puritan Board Freshman
I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum section.

James 1:17 - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

I understand that talents differ from gifts as gifts are received and talents are natural. But are they all from God? The above verse speaks of "good" and "perfect" gifts.

For example, a singer who naturally has a great voice uses this talent to sing profanity and rebellion against God. Did God bless this person even though she misuses her talent?

Or if Stephen Hawkings uses his natural intelligence to speak foolish words about Almighty God? Does his intelligence come from nature or the grace of God?

Every natural talent comes from His grace. There is no moral capacity assigned to a talent. The morality or lack thereof comes from the person exercising the talent.

Every natural talent comes from His grace. There is no moral capacity assigned to a talent. The morality or lack thereof comes from the person exercising the talent.

Yes, I agree that the morality is upon the person exercising the talent.

But does God choose to bless certain people with talents? And is every talent from God's grace?

Yes, I agree that the morality is upon the person exercising the talent.

But does God choose to bless certain people with talents? And is every talent from God's grace?

Any talent given to any person is by His grace.

What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (I Corinthians 4:7b)

All natural gifts are from God, whether strength and health of body and mind, beauty, intellectual abilities, artistic and sporting abilities, etc, etc.

We have any good gifts from God in the context that we are sinners, therefore they are graciously given to us.

But does God choose to bless certain people with talents?

If you're born with legs and someone else isn't, it's in God's providence. If you've been given an ability to sing but not to paint, it's in God's providence.

And is every talent from God's grace?

We're sinners, so all good gifts are either of God's common or saving grace.

Adding to what Richard said, there is also a measure of ability that Adam possessed that has been corrupted by sin within us.
To some, it is corrupted more; to others, less.
To these would be things like: an ability to think clearly, remember well, reason intelligently, have orderly affections, emotions, and desires, etc.

It may seem natural to view these as special "gifts" in others, when the lack thereof are perhaps greater "corruptions" in ourselves.
God then would, by his grace, limit the degree of corruption that some might experience compared to others.

I am sure that people have gifts.
It also makes sense that some experience different manifestations/degrees of corruption.

Just another thought to consider while figuring this out...

Blessings!

Charles that's so interesting yeah I have to agree with that it all comes from God and also it will vary from person to person

Great gifts in unbelievers sometimes make believers feel more poignantly the sadness that these unbelievers lack the saving knowledge of the Giver of these gifts.

Some good replies, thanks brothers.

This matter has been on my mind in recent time. I know that both the WCF and LBCF speak about God's eternal decree in how he has ordained whatsoever comes to pass, but is not the author of sin. But I am still digesting the matter of God's sovereignty. And the James 1:17 verse seems like it is only speaking of "good" and "perfect" gifts as if bad gifts aren't from God.

I need to search the scriptures more on this matter of God ordaining everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back