Are the judicial curses of Deuteronomy 28 still in force upon apostate Jewry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your input, Tim. Perhaps it makes no difference whether to say that unregenerate Jewry is under the Deuteronomic curses or under the continuing wrath that sent forth those curses. The curses once executed upon the expiry of the covenant nation and the covenant are still upon the people, whether one refers to the curses themselves or the power of them. Like a ball thrown it is out of the hand and in the air headed where it was aimed.

I put my thoughts out for PB’s “peer review” as I want to make no mistakes in this booklet I am preparing to send out, especially not on matters of such eternal weight. I want to be provocative and stir up the sleeping spirit of unregenerate Jewry so as to revisit this matter—their walking by mocking (or ignoring) their sin-bearing Messiah—before the end comes and all options are closed but an eternal Gehenna.

Romans 2:10, 12-24 sets up an opposition

I would say it is setting up a correlation so far as the "works" principle is concerned. The distinction is between the modes of bringing this principle to bear on Jews and Gentiles respectively. It is not speaking of the law in its totality since the law provided for atonement. It is bringing out the law as the standard of righteousness in its specific demand of "doing," and using this as a necessary preliminary for showing that all the world is guilty before God and in need of gospel righteousness. If the apostle were setting up an opposition between Jew and Gentile he would effectively be arguing against his own point that the gospel is for Jew and Gentile alike.

Steve, are we thinking along the same lines as to the "temporal" nature of these curses? As I understand it they pertain to the promised land. To be in the land is life and to be cast out of the land is death. That being the case, to be out of the land for a "covenant Jew" means to be cursed. I cannot see how there can be a progressive fulfilment of the curses without bringing back the temporal element which is wrapped up in the land promise.

Thank you for your thoughts, Matthew!

When they were cast out into the nations there was no temple or land to return to, so, yes, this was being cut off from all that grounded them, and was spiritual death. This must have been a shock and an agony for them, though the apostate rabbis—as per their way—smoothed it over with the same false assurances their spiritual descendants do today: there may be atonement for sin without the shedding of blood in the approved worship: “God is still with us,” they are told.

But unbeknownst to them simultaneously with their initial expulsion the land promises of the Old Covenant were done away with in the abrogation of that covenant, and replaced in the New Covenant “in Christ” (and later in the full realization of His new creation).

Fast forward to 1948: the return to the Jewish state—which some place their hope in—is but an illusion of Return from the exile, the true Return being only in their Messiah.

The seemingly temporal nature of the executed curses—or the abiding wrath loosed by them—is really the foretaste of the eternal wrath of God upon the despisers of His law; the curses may have had their final temporal execution, but the wrath sent forth is not quenched, nor will be, till the wicked either turn to their God in repentance (per Deut 30:1-6), or are consumed.

The matter of the Deuteronomic curses is a primary weapon in piercing their delusional self-assurance, and the rabbinic falsehoods.

This situation modern Jewry is in spiritually is opaque to them. It needs to be spelled out clearly, so that the elect may be awakened to the peril, and seek Messiah. I take this dramatic approach—the booklet, A Poet Arises In Israel—to provoke the spirit of unregenerate Jewry out of its stupor, that some may flee the everlasting fiery Gehenna fast approaching, not only them, but all humankind out of Christ.

The seemingly temporal nature of the executed curses—or the abiding wrath loosed by them—is really the foretaste of the eternal wrath of God upon the despisers of His law; the curses may have had their final temporal execution, but the wrath sent forth is not quenched, nor will be, till the wicked either turn to their God in repentance (per Deut 30:1-6), or are consumed.

Steve, to me this means we can take a step back to obtain a broader view of the "curses" in terms of God's moral government over all the earth. As they were "a just recompence of reward" we see God's providential order underlying them, and this order is imposed upon all nations. They are not covenantal curses per se, but the administration of justice on which the curses were established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back