Are there different types of preaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Is preaching ever divorced from Worship? Are there more than one type of Preaching? For example, since preaching is the proclamation of God's word, i.e. the preacher as he reads God's word, he is God's mouthpiece, the standard of said preaching is within the confines of an organized assembly of believers, i.e. a call and benediction, can it be said that there are two types of preaching, one that happens in the settings described and one's outside those settings, i.e Whitefield preaching in open fields?

Does all preaching require a call and benediction?
What does the allowance for 2 types of preaching bring as a result? For example, non-ordained street preachers.
Whenever preaching occurs, is it safe to say that this is worship?

Since preaching is a means of grace and only the ordained are allowed to make proclamations, making a distinction between preaching in an assembly and preaching outside an assembly, may facilitate the error of street preaching by every Tom, Dick and Harry, no?

Jus Divinum ch 5

2. The constituting of ordinances, whereby his Church shall be edified: as preaching the word, Matt. x. 7; 1 Cor. i. 17; Matt, xxviii. 18-20; Mark xvi. 15. Administering of the sacraments. Baptism, John i. 33, with Matt. iii. 13, &c., and xxviii. 18, 19. The Lord’s supper, 1 Cor. xi. 20, 23, &c.; Matt. xxvi. 26, &c.; Mark xiv. 22, &c.; Luke xxii. 19, 20. Dispensing of censures, Matt. xvi. 10, with xviii. 15-18, &c.

3. The ordaining and appointing of his own church officers, by whom his ordinances shall be dispensed and managed in his Church. “He gave gifts to men; and he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers,” Eph. iv. 7, 8, 11; compare 1 Cor. xii. 28; 1 Thess. v. 12; Acts xx. 28.

4. The dispensing of Christ’s ordinances, not in the name of magistrates, ministers, churches, councils, &c., but in Christ’s own name. The apostles did “speak and teach in the name of Jesus,” Acts iv. 17, 18. “Whatsoever ye ask in my name,” John xiv. 13, 14, and xvi. 23. “Baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son,” Matt, xxviii. 18, 19. “They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus,” Acts xix. 5. “In the name—with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, to deliver such a one to Satan,” 1 Cor. v. 4. Yea, assemblies of the Church are to be in Christ’s name: “Where two or three are gathered together in my name,” Matt, xviii. 20.

The New England Puritans gave sermons on a number of occasions including election days and commencement (at the start of a college year). I don't know what an order of service would have been, or of it was just a sermon. Jonathan Edwards first became noticed for an election sermon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back