Are you a Theonomist?

Would you consider yourself a Theonomist?

• Yes…

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • No…

Votes: 58 50.9%
  • Not sure I really understand the whole debate, etc…

Votes: 20 17.5%
  • I’m working through the doctrine right now.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Bahnsen Rocks!

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • It seems logical not sure what the big fuss is…

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, Evie. Whether one considers himself or herself to be a Theonomist, one would do well to adhere to that portion of the WCF.

Personally, because of all the baggage over the term, I prefer to utilize the term "theonomian" instead of "theonomist." Theonomian, mind you, is the opposite of antinomian. I have reliquished copyright on the term and you are all free to us it at will. :judge:

Truly... madly... deeply. :book2::coffee:

I won't be offended if anyone here agrees with the "madly" part! :lol:

On a more serious note, personally, when it comes down to it, I don't think as Christians we have any choice :2cents:

Last edited:
I classify myself as mildly Theonomic.

Though I wouldn't classify myself as a Reconstructionist, for one, I'm Realized Millenial not Post Mil.

Not quite, but I take the "general equity" very seriously.

I agree, and by the estimation of MOST Evangelicals, that makes you a Theonomist. Here in the very narrow slice of reality called 'PB', it is another story.

Aren't the categories "Bahnsen Rocks!" and "It seems logical not sure what the big fuss is…" essentially the same as saying "Yes"? If so, then does that mean that the number of people who voted for Theonomy would not only include those who chose "Yes" but also those who chose those two categories I just mentioned?

Agreed, Evie. Whether one considers himself or herself to be a Theonomist, one would do well to adhere to that portion of the WCF.

Personally, because of all the baggage over the term, I prefer to utilize the term "theonomian" instead of "theonomist." Theonomian, mind you, is the opposite of antinomian. I have reliquished copyright on the term and you are all free to us it at will. :judge:

or an antiantinomian. a double negative=positive. :lol:

Aren't the categories "Bahnsen Rocks!" and "It seems logical not sure what the big fuss is…" essentially the same as saying "Yes"? If so, then does that mean that the number of people who voted for Theonomy would not only include those who chose "Yes" but also those who chose those two categories I just mentioned?

Give that man a cigar!

I consider myself theonomic...but many theonomists would not since I don't walk lock-step with certain economic principles (i.e. Austrian school), I believe in the Lord's Day and that the 2nd commandment forbids images of Christ (for some reason, many theonomists reject these items).

I would be surprised if many who are saying they are not actually know what a "Theonomist" believes concerning the Law of God, especially given the fact that it is Righteous and Good.

I would be surprised if many who are saying they are not actually know what a "Theonomist" believes concerning the Law of God, especially given the fact that it is Righteous and Good.

No I'm very well studied in Theonomy as a former Theonomist having read Rushdoony's Institutes, Bahnsen, and many other Theonomist writings. So I think I'm qualified to answer in the negative with a clear conscience and comprehension of what is being asked.

Something tells me the Law of God forum is going to go the way of the EP forum here pretty soon...

I keep coming back to this thread to see when the awkward smiling stops and the guns start a-blazin'!

*Note: I'm not interested in a fight beginning...nor am I encouraging it...it's just that's where most theonomy/EP threads end up.

Would you consider yourself a Theonomist?

Me personally I'm leading in that direction.

Sinds my view has been changed towards the moral law as being the rule of life for the christian iam leading towards being a theonomist, with the exception that iam a convince non-sabbatherian (believe that the Lord's day is not the sabbath) and iam in line with Johannes Cocceius (1603–1669). John Gill (1697 –1771) and Jay E. Adams. I hold to a christian theocracy form goverment.

I agree with Fred Greco. God's law is for everyone. And I also take General Equity seriously. Therefore I am a little t theonomist, because there is no other standard.

However, we MUST understand general equity correctly, lest we merge the civil sword with ecclesiastical discipline, as did some of the Reformers.

Here is a good summary of the Apostle Paul's use of General Equity, which should guide how we interpret OT law verses:

John Frame has noted that the New Testament church "fulfills the Old Testament theocracy" (Barker 1990, 95). In applying the Old Testament laws to the church, Paul did not apply them exactly as they were applied in the Old Testament. For instance, In 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, Paul addresses a situation where a man is living with his father's wife. According to Old Testament law, the man and the woman should receive capital punishment (Leviticus 20:10). However, this was not recommended by Paul. Rather, the proper punishment of this crime for Paul is excommunication (vv. 2, 13). Furthermore, Paul's statement in verse 13 is a quotation of a formula found in Mosaic penal sanctions (Deut. 17:7, 12; 12:19; 19:21, 21:21; 22:21, 24: 24:7).

Third Millennium Ministries

See also: Theonomy, A Reformed Baptist Assessment

No.

While I can see the idealism of it, I do not see the capabilities of the reality without major problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back