Are you a Theonomist?

Would you consider yourself a Theonomist?

• Yes…

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • No…

Votes: 58 50.9%
  • Not sure I really understand the whole debate, etc…

Votes: 20 17.5%
  • I’m working through the doctrine right now.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Bahnsen Rocks!

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • It seems logical not sure what the big fuss is…

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking a class on ethics next and will be required to read Bahnsen's, "Theonomy in Christian Ethics," I will decide then. Right now all I have heard are really bad things but they are examples of extremism from the internet. (At least I hope it is extremism).

-----Added 5/8/2009 at 09:33:23 EST-----

Now I am kind of wondering if it isn't like spiritual gifts in the NT. It was appropriate for that time for the of building up the church but has since fallen out of use because they are no longer necessary. Likewise, these laws were necessary for the building upof a godly nation and are now no longer necessary because we have the church. :think:
Now we are living in an age where the law is written on our hearts, whereas it was not then.

I love God and think that if He says His Law is perfect then it is incumbent for me to think they are perfect. That is why I am a Theonomist.

It largely depends on how one defines "theonomist". My own views line up closely with George Gillespie.

No, and I think Bahnsen is vastly overrated as a theologian. I am a recovering Theonomist so I think I understand the position.

I thought Bahnsen was a great man of God, but do not agree with Theonomy.

The judicials should be studied for their general equity, which doesn't mean e.g. the death penalty for flagrant Sabbath breakers, etc. In Old Covenant Israel, those without an animal sacrifice for sin had to be executed. Hebrews 10:26-29 explains something of the antitypical fulfilment of that.

I believe that the civil government should allow and prohibit what God wants the civil government to allow and prohibit. I'm figuring out from Scripture what God wants the civil government to allow and prohibit.

I agree with Josh Hicks first post in this thread, that is, Original Westminster Standards are as far as I would go in theonomic reasoning, and anyway I am a decided Amilennialist

Here is my position, people within the the church should be punished by the church by means of excommunication etc. People outside of the church should be punished by the magistrate according to the OT punishments but only by way of example, I believe there is an overall abundant graciousness in the NT that should be applied to method of civil punishment, like the puritans did I would have adulterers whipped but not killed etc. I have much more studying to do on this matter :) .

I agree with Josh Hicks first post in this thread, that is, Original Westminster Standards are as far as I would go in theonomic reasoning, and anyway I am a decided Amilennialist
It should be noted, though, Charlie, that Theonomists also claim the original WCF as well. It's not so cut and dry.

I am also unaware that Theonomy requires a certain Millennial position. There are plenty of Theonomists who are not Christian Reconstructionists and vice-versa.

I'm still trying to work out this doctrine. It is taking me longer than i first thought. I feel like i'm on a see saw one day for it the next against it. But leaning away from it as of now. When I first encountered this doctrine it seemed logical being new to Reformed thought. But some of the works I was led to read has me leaning away from it. Can not tell you intelligently why though.

My point (or failure of a point :drool:) of being amillennial is that I believe Christ's emphasis is on mercy and grace towards a world that will never comform to the same. Unlike Postmilennailists the church will prove to be the single strand of holiness through a circle of that is the worlds unholiness. The magistrate should go by the ten commandments and the upholding of those ten commandments by divers punishments but remembering the general gracious and merciful overhaul that came with Christ making the Old Covenant New by His blood.

And then there is that fact that I need to study more neverendingly(new word)! :D

Not sure whether I have a big or little "T." I am sure that Christ is the overlord of all the universe. That includes governments, churches, families, and individuals. I believe that He promulgated His laws, statutes, regulations etc through the writers of Scripture. To rightly divide Scripture is to acurately discern what God's law requires for any given potential action, word or thought. As vice-regents under King Jesus we Christians have a duty to bring all that we have authority over into line with His statutes. Right now that includes myself, my family, and tangenitally through voting, my church. Since I consider the current government to be a tyranny of the mob, I do not participate in trying to change it through political action. Only Divine intervention by way of individual Christians' lawful living will change the mob. I have enough to do trying to bring the little that Christ has given me charge over in line within His regulatory system without worrying what the state ought to do. If the Lord considers me faithful enough to offer me government of something more at some future time then I will honorably try do what the King requires. Again not sure if the "T" is big or little.

I believe that we have God's law as a rule of life.
I believe that the OT is in effect in areas where the NT does not abrogate.
Another words I believe every thing in the OT is binding unless the NT abrogates.
I however at this point of time am not a re constructionist.
Am I as clear as mud?

I believe that we have God's law as a rule of life.
I believe that the OT is in effect in areas where the NT does not abrogate.
Another words I believe every thing in the OT is binding unless the NT abrogates.
I however at this point of time am not a re constructionist.
Am I as clear as mud?

Yes, but when the sediment settles, you'll be a theonomist ;-)

I mean since Pastors Keister, Greco and Buchanan have all come around in the last week or so, it must be a trend :)

I sure am not an autonomous but I believe that we are to obey God's law as a rule of life.
If being a theonomist means that the Bible is a safe rule for conduct then I am one.

I am a Theonomist who believes in natural law.

CT

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you briefly explain what this means?

Also, to answer the OP, yes, I am a Theonomist, though I prefer not capitalizing it for pragmatic reasons.

Last edited:
If accuracy was important, the poll should have only allowed one choice (yes, no, undecided), not multiple choice.:2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back