Arminanism leads to Open-Theism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
From what little I have read on Open-Theism it seems that the majority of the proponents come from an Arminian background. It seems that Arminianism is gateway to Open Theism. I do not think Arminianism automatically leads to Open Theism but I do believe some of the presuppositions when carried out to their logical conclusion lead down that path. I know some of my conversations with Arminians sound awfully close to that of Open Theism. But I find when one mentions open theism to an Arminian they often get defensive. I do not want to be unfair because I know on the other hand that we who are Calvinists often get accused of being hyper-calvinists/fatalists. Any personal experience with this and conversations with people? Is Open Theism a new theory or has it been around throughout history? Really would like to do some more study on tie between Arminianism and Open-Theism. Does anyone know any books that deal with this connection? Thank you!

For His Glory-
Matthew

Explicitly Open Theism is a relatively recent development (Richard Rice's 1980 book The Openness of God made way for all sorts of stuff like Pinnock, Sanders, and Moltmann) though you have folks arguing similar things in the early 19th century. You can find parts of a lot of church fathers that sound like open-theism, since they predate the idea. Once an idea pops up, it pushes everybody into corners and you see it everywhere.

I have had discussions with Arminians about Open-Theism, and I see them as perhaps logically connected but it's not really enough of a well-developed connection to bring up in conversation. That is, accusing an Arminian of being an Open Theist would be imprudent, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's frequently the logical result. Robinson's The Storms of Providence is a great defense of Arminianism+Open Theism (though I disagree), and the author certainly believes there is an inevitable connection between the two.

The only time I have heard any Reformed thinker write or say something remotely resembling Open Theism (like Wolterstorff) it's because they were talking about something else.

I used to spend time debating open theists at Theologyweb and at some point, I concluded that open theism is the most logically consistent form of arminianism. For example, if anyone can be saved at any time (throughout the course of their life) as arminians believe and claim, to be consistent the future must be open for that to be true. Further if God can make mistakes as opens theists claim, that explains the people God saved and chose to fall away etc.

Books I recommend on Open Theism: No Other God: A Response to Open Theism by John M. Frame and Beyond the Bounds by a dozen Reformed scholars, one co-editor John Piper, and J.I. Packer endorsement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back