Arminian Salvation and mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenney,

I think the key word here is "struggle". Does your sin bother you? Do you constantly struggle with it? Take a look at Romans 7 and I think you will know why I think this is one sure sign that you are saved and are making progress in these areas as God sanctifies you. Personally, I think you are in good company with the Apostle Paul.

I agree. The longer I live the more I'm convinced that, in some ways, the Christian is defined by "The Struggle" against sin. Someone who is not regenerate is not going to even give it a thought for the most part. Oh they may have some thoughts of fear regarding punnishment and whatnot but they will not truly struggle with sin itself. It's like a saying I heard once,"Everyone wants to be free from Hell. Not everyone wants to be free from their sin."

Before saying anything else, though, I want to say that the first person/people you should go to if you ever struggle with doubting your salvation is/are your pastor/shepherding elder/elders.
You are right about that. I don't know why I didn't think of it already! That is exactly what I would have told someone else who asked me the same question!

As Scott Bushey put it in one post, he believes that "Arminianism is heresy and those holding to it will perish. I don’t know of ever meeting an Arminian."
I hadn't thought about this, either. What threw me was the assumed common definition. I didn't mean the classical five points of Arminianism. I only meant modern evangelical who isn't a Calvinist.

Look to Christ...

speak with one or more of your elders or pastors on the matter...

Also read Scripture

All excellent advice.

I will follow these three suggestions and maybe read some of the other things you recommended, too.

Thank you!

Someone whom I consider my brother in Christ has just told me I am unregenerate

I would start off by saying that anyone who calls themself a Christian, says "You are unregenerate" and causes you to stumble will be judged on this very act. Paul tells the Corinthians in 1 Cor 8: "11For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died. 12And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ."

saving conversion

I don't have the book here at my home at the moment - I either donated it to the church for the library, or it's at my office, but one book that really helped me to understand the conversion process was Solomon Stoddard's "The Nature of Saving Conversion." The book takes the reader through the stages of conversion, from awakening to conversion, through sanctification. Note: Solomon Stoddard was Jonathan Edwards' grandfather, so it was written in the 1700s.

One reason this book helped me a lot was because of similar questions, doubts, fears, etc. I had similar to yours, Jenney.

Likewise, C.S. Lewis's "God in the Dock" and "Mere Christianity" have helped me to understand our struggles with sin, knowing we will never be completely without sin in our flesh, but that our heart, soul, mind, and strength are focused on glorifying God and enjoying Him forever.

I believe that an Arminian is saved once they realize the sovereignty of God and His incredible power, in which case they would reject modern Arminianism, the belief that humans choose God, have some power over God, and can partly adjust His Will for us based on our actions. I believe people feel this way because they are stubborn in accepting what God has given them when they try to be really good people, and they have faltering faith that He will one day bring them something great. I personally know that God will sometimes turn our lives upside-down to give us a clear choice: trust Him or don't. Naturally, if we trust Him, we will do good.

Arminians seem almost gnostic to me, finding wisdom and knowledge in themselves, whereas the Gospels make it clear that we can only find wisdom when God dwells in our hearts (Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.) Focus on "the kingdom of God is within you."

I hope that helps. Any corrections are welcomed :think:

(((Jenney)))

Friend, what great advice and encouragement you've gotten from this thread. I'll be praying for you. I know I struggle with the same failings and fears so often.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one, but I used to be a saved Arminian. In fact, I was such for over 20 years. It was through my studies of God's Word that I became Reformed.

So yes, an Arminian may be saved, even though he gives himself a little too much credit for that salvation. Getting it right is where Bible Study comes in (very lacking in many Arminian churches.)

Jenney,

You sound genuinely saved to me. I ask myself the same thing everyday, "What if I'm wrong?" Thank God it's all in His hands.

Are Arminians saved?

The seasoned teacher of Arminianism who rejects Calvinism has real reason to worry, in my opinion. It's one thing to be a new Christian in a popular church learning the Bible for the first time. It's quite another to be in the same Arminian church after 20 years (and after Bible school, understanding alternatives like Calvinism) teaching that stuff.

Do we have the Holy Spirit indwelling and guiding us or not?

If one knows the Bible thoroughly and knows Calvinism thoroughly and doesn't make the connection, how can he have the Holy Spirit guiding him into all truth?

???

P.S. any Calvinist who says YOU can't be saved because you haven't properly assessed someone else's salvation is a schmuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back