Art and sexuality from a reformed perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
A friend of mine is doing research on christian perspectives on art and sexuality. She's having trouble finding reformed writings on the topic and so asked me if I could think of any books or articles. I can't, but I thought someone here might have suggestions? I feel like this might be a topic addressed in "How Then Should We Live?" (Schaeffer), but as I haven't read it (I know, I know), I wasn't sure. Suggestions?

For sexuality, John Piper and Wayne Grudem co-authored a book entitled "Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood". I've read parts of it but haven't gotten through all of it yet--it's a pretty big book. :)

For sexuality, John Piper and Wayne Grudem co-authored a book entitled "Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood". I've read parts of it but haven't gotten through all of it yet--it's a pretty big book. :)

I think she's looking for more of a philosophical treatise on the subject. I've only read parts of the book you mention, but it seems to me that it was more of a practical work - yes?

She was particularly interested in knowing if Calvin, Kuyper etc had written on the subject and I know she looking through a book by Augustine too -I think that's more the stuff she's interested in. Its for an academic journal.

I think she's looking for more of a philosophical treatise on the subject. I've only read parts of the book you mention, but it seems to me that it was more of a practical work - yes?

She was particularly interested in knowing if Calvin, Kuyper etc had written on the subject and I know she looking through a book by Augustine too -I think that's more the stuff she's interested in. Its for an academic journal.

I'm pretty sure Kuyper's written on aesthetics. I'm not sure about Calvin though.

I'd probably agree that "Recovering" is more practical than philosophical, but it's been a long time. :)

edit: Okay, Kuyper talks about aesthetics briefly in his "Lectures on Calvinism". Calvin seems to have some sporadic references to it which he collects therein. Or that's the impression I'm getting from Google.

This is a book by Palmer Robertson which I haven't got or read, but I'm pretty sure they'll be some valuable material in it:-

The Genesis of Sex: Sexual Relationships in the First Book of the Bible: Amazon.co.uk: O. Palmer Robertson: Books

This little book is written by Roger Scruton who is an English, conservative, and, I think, Christian of some shape.

It is a brief but interesting discussion of aesthetics in which he also discusses the relationship of art and p0rnography and refutes the latter:-

Beauty: Amazon.co.uk: Roger Scruton: Books

A small intro by Schaeffer:-

Art and the Bible (L'Abri Pamphlets): Amazon.co.uk: Francis A. Schaeffer: Books

This edition has an essay by someone else aswell, which I haven't read:-

Art and the Bible: Two Essays (IVP Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Michael Card, Francis A Schaeffer: Books

We have these two books:

Art in Action by Nicholas Wolterstorff
and

Rainbows For the Fallen World by Calvin Seerveld

(For a review of Rainbows with references to other Reformed books on art, see here, or pass it on to your friend.)

The second book is difficult to find but the reviewer in the article above can often get rare books to people--you can search the site for book inquiries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back