Art Azurdia resigns

Discussion in 'Ecclesiology' started by Paul1976, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc_q_jayce

sc_q_jayce Puritan Board Freshman

Recently, Art Azurdia posted an open letter of confession for the public to view.

At face value, it seems that he is owning up to his sin and recognizes the grave consequences of what he did. As someone who had never heard of Art until this incident, I found myself encouraged from reading the letter. I hope it encourages you all as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Grant Jones

Grant Jones Puritan Board Junior

All things considering a good letter and a good illustration of repentance in words. May the words in the letter be a true reflection of his heart.

Nonetheless we owe the man, his family, and Trinity our sincere prayers.

3. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Good to see this open letter. I see genuine repentance in the words.

I continue to pray that our ordained servants, versus having another expose their sins, examine themselves often and, when appropriate, take the proper steps to reconcile themselves with God, family, and their church.

4. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

I wrote the below in response to a Facebook post where the poster was highlighting a new book on the Church by Francis Chan. It is applicable, in large measure, to the issue of a minister's work:

Our corruption is a powerful enemy within but the power of Christ is more powerful. Mortificaiton of sin within our members is only possible when we recognize that sin is at war within our members and never letting our guard down. It is possible to fight only insofar as we look to Christ for power. It is also a "we" in sanctification. The injunctions in Hebrews are to encourage one another to press on. We cannot fight the battle alone. I check in on my Pastor and he checks in on me.

That said, fearfully, the congregation ought to be able to look to me and see me battling sin and being transformed by the power of the Gospel. I ought to be someone who understands how sin operates and demonstrate that I'm battling sin by the power of Christ even as I'm encouraging them to do so.

When we say we love good preaching, we ought to be asking ourselves how often the Biblical themes of being brought from death to life and that we should live as if sin is no longer our master. This is part of the liberating power of Christ and if it is not evidenced in the preaching from the pulpit then it should be a warning sign that, if the people are not being reminded constantly of what Paul and the other Apostles reminded, that something is amiss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.