Arthur Pink on Saving Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minh

Puritan Board Freshman
I am compelled to share this as I myself am severely convicted of this misused of the Wonderful Knowledge.

Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.” (Matthew 7:26-27)

"Ah, dear reader, a saving knowledge is not a knowledge of Divine things, but is a Divinely-imparted knowledge. It not only has God for its Object, but God for its Author. There must be not only a knowledge of spiritual things, but a spiritual knowledge of the same. The light which we have of them must be answerable to the things themselves: we must see them by their own light. As the things themselves are spiritual, they must be imparted and opened to us by the Holy Spirit. Where there is a knowledge of the Truth which has been wrought in the heart by the Spirit, there is an experimental knowledge of the same, a sensible consciousness, a persuasive and comforting perception of their reality, an assurance which nothing can shake. The Truth then possesses a sweetness, a preciousness, which no inducement can cause the soul to part with it." [1]

And a voice from a Puritan on this subject:

"What shall we do, then, to know God in a soul-saving manner? I answer, let us implore the help of God's Spirit. Paul never saw himself blind—until a light shone from heaven (Acts 9:3). God must anoint our eyes before we can see! What need did Christ have to bid Laodicea to come to him for eye salve, if she could see before (Rev. 3:18)? Oh, let us beg the Spirit, who is "the Spirit of revelation" (Eph. 1:17). Saving knowledge is not by speculation —but by inspiration , "the inspiration of the Almighty gives them understanding" (Job 32:8)." [2]

Reference:
[1] A.W.Pink, The Holy Spirit, The Spirit Teaching. link: http://www.godrules.net/library/pink/255pink19.htm
[2] Thomas Watson, The Godly Man's Picture, Chapter 1. link: https://www.monergism.com/godly-mans-picture-ebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back