Arthur Walkington Pink (1886-1952)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Today (July 15, 2022) is the 70th anniversary of the death of A. W. Pink, at the age of 66.

As Martyn Lloyd-Jones told someone: "Read Pink!"

Given his dangerous and highly defective ecclesiology, which has had spiritually disastrous consequences for those who have imitated him, I would be very, very wary of ever telling anyone - without significant qualification - to "Read Pink." A man who needlessly absented himself from public worship for so long is not someone we should be promoting in the uncritical way we often do.

Given his dangerous and highly defective ecclesiology, which has had spiritually disastrous consequences for those who have imitated him, I would be very, very wary of ever telling anyone - without significant qualification - to "Read Pink." A man who needlessly absented himself from public worship for so long is not someone we should be promoting in the uncritical way we often do.
My thoughts exactly.

Would this information be present in his biography?

A. W. Pink lived in the same town as Rev. Kenneth MacRae yet never sat under his ministry. In fact, he could not even be bothered meeting up with him as the times when the latter was free did not suit him. (As if a busy pastor has the time to cater to such whims.) I am sad to say it, but we have to face reality: In terms of his view of the church, the man was a disaster who led astray many impressionable people.

Just a tangental sidetone... Even though he was a theological weakling compared to Pink, it does seems C. S. Lewis better grasped the importance of church attendance. In his writings he sometimes alluded to a discontentment with the Anglican churches he attended and/or their leaders (see Screwtape Letters and Grand Miracle). But he nonetheless felt it was important to remain a faithful attender his entire life (see Surprised by Joy). No Christian leader, no matter how prominent, is perfect, each having their individual struggles, strengths and weaknesses, and, by the grace of God, particular contributions to Christ's church.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate? Are you sure about the word "needlessly" ? I mean, are you sure he was not ill, or taking care of an ill family member, or some such sort of thing? Is it possible he was getting over a bad experience and had what today we call PTSD? ( not necessarily an excuse, but it can be understandable for a time. I've know several people who went through a terrible church experience not their fault, and ended up taking months or a year off just to get over it).

Just wondering. I love his book on the Sovereignty of God. Thanks for any explanation.

Could you elaborate? Are you sure about the word "needlessly" ? I mean, are you sure he was not ill, or taking care of an ill family member, or some such sort of thing? Is it possible he was getting over a bad experience and had what today we call PTSD? ( not necessarily an excuse, but it can be understandable for a time. I've know several people who went through a terrible church experience not their fault, and ended up taking months or a year off just to get over it).

Just wondering. I love his book on the Sovereignty of God. Thanks for any explanation.

From what I recall from reading Iain Murray's biography of A. W. Pink, in addition to things that I came across in his writings, the primary reason he did not attend church was that he could find nowhere that was good enough for him. While I agree that there are valid reasons for people not being able to attend church such as illness, I do not believe that getting over a bad experience is one of them.

I just re-read the Ian Murray biography a bit ago, and recall that Pink had a misinformed conscience and doctrine about church attendance and membership. He seemed to think that if the church had any practice or confessional stance he didn’t adhere to, then he couldn’t in good conscience join with them (even in attendance?).

It is indeed sad. He does have some works, particularly his later ones I believe, that are solid and valuable, though maybe always with caveats. Discernment is required.

Didn’t Dr. Lloyd-Jones also hold to independency as far as church government? He might have seen A. Pinks ecclesiastical history as less problematic.

I think there are two issues that were difficult for Pink which is why I tend to be more charitable toward him:
1. I get the clear impression that Pink had a neurological disability, probably autism spectrum, which may explain his social isolation and difficulties relating to people.
2. Iain Murray said he lived in a difficult time in the life of the church. There were not not a lot of confessional Reformed churches in Western nations at the time. Pink found this difficult.
Discernment is required.
Agreed.
Didn’t Dr. Lloyd-Jones also hold to independency as far as church government?
I believe so. But if you are criticising Pink for holding to independency, essentially you also have to criticise all Reformed Baptists.

Note: the best edition of Iain Murray's biography of Pink is his Revised 2004 edition. He tries to be more balanced in his critique of Pink.

Here’s a synopsis (that agrees with Ian Murray’s account) of the Pinks’ time in the Hebrides and their experience in church, and with Rev. MacRae:

…they resolved to make what was their last move, travelling to the Hebrides, an island of the north west coast of Scotland where they lived until their deaths. They arrived in mid-October 1940 at the Manse of Wallace B. Nicholson the Free Presbyterian minister in North Uist.

They moved to a flat in Lewis Street in Stornoway and remained in that street for the next 12 years in fact until Arthur Pink died. The community was overwhelmingly Gaelic speaking with many having no spoken English. The two confessional congregations in Stornoway, the Free Church and the Free Presbyterian, had small afternoon services in English. They attended the Free Church for three months but it was unused to strangers, and there was no provision made for welcoming such people as the Pinks. The commitment to no idle chatter after the service was over meant that people went out quietly and straight home, even though they might have been deeply touched by the sermon. The Pinks thought the atmosphere was chilly and stopped attending church.

Attempts were made for Kenneth MacRae, the minister, and Arthur Pink to meet but they could not find a suitable time, and perhaps the attempt was half-hearted in both cases, Mr. MacRae had never heard of Pink nor of his magazine and later came to regret that he had not been more diligent in visiting the stranger who had been visiting his church. He often went to see Mrs. Pink after the death of her husband. So for the last years of their lives the Pinks did not attend church.

Arthur no longer made friends as he did when he had been a younger man and he did not encourage people to visit them though two men travelled far on different occasions to knock on the door of 28 Lewis Street and were allowed in. But in the magazine such visits were not welcomed Pink believing that more could be accomplished by letter than by a personal visit.

So there in Scotland he died quite painfully of a form of anaemia, refusing to take any drug that would dull his mind and prevent him doing his work. On July 15, 1952, he passed away into the full joy of the words he loved to quote–
He and I in one bright glory endless bliss shall share;
Mine, to be for ever with him, His that I am there.

I think there are two issues that were difficult for Pink which is why I tend to be more charitable toward him:
1. I get the clear impression that Pink had a neurological disability, probably autism spectrum, which may explain his social isolation and difficulties relating to people.
2. Iain Murray said he lived in a difficult time in the life of the church. There were not not a lot of confessional Reformed churches in Western nations at the time. Pink found this difficult.

Agreed.

I believe so. But if you are criticising Pink for holding to independency, essentially you also have to criticise all Reformed Baptists.

Note: the best edition of Iain Murray's biography of Pink is his Revised 2004 edition. He tries to be more balanced in his critique of Pink.
To add to Pink's difficulties, he was from Southern England and he was living in the Outer Hebrides in the 1940's - culture shock would have been considerable, and it's not clear that the locals were necessarily as welcoming as they could have been. The local Christians reportedly thought he was "an English nutter".

Lloyd Jones needs to be quoted in full as well: what he actually said was "“Don’t waste your time reading Barth and Brunner. You will get nothing from them to aid you with preaching. Read Pink” In a time when the Banner of Truth did not yet exist and Puritans books were almost impossible to find, Pink mediated warmly devotional Puritan theology and Lloyd Jones had found his writings helpful during his own bouts of depression. He therefore advocated his writings as more helpful to young preachers than the neo-orthodox writers who were hitting the headlines in those days. Are we surprised?

It seems (though I could be wrong) that Lloyd Jones primarily knew Pink through his writings, not personally. Is it possible that perhaps he knew little of Pink's personal eccentricities? It's not like Pink got out much and Lloyd Jones wasn't regularly in the Highlands of Scotland.

All that to say that anyone who reads Pink should do so with discernment, like any author, but I suspect that there are still many good things to glean.

PS it's always risky to psychologically analyze the dead, but I had the same thought as you, Stephen, about Pink potentially fitting what we now call the Autism spectrum.

I'm a fan of A.W. Pink. Been so for many years. I've read Murray's bio of Pink, and recommend Richard Belcher's 'Born To Write' as well. I thought it a bit more sympathetic, and personal than Lian Murray's is.

Here's a pair of audio biographical lectures by Thomas Sullivan. One focusing on the life, the second more on the writings with the life interspersed, some overlap, but both well worth a listen.

Finally, a video bio of Pink that I thought well done, but a pastor whose name is unknown to me.

To add to Pink's difficulties, he was from Southern England and he was living in the Outer Hebrides in the 1940's - culture shock would have been considerable, and it's not clear that the locals were necessarily as welcoming as they could have been. The local Christians reportedly thought he was "an English nutter".

Lloyd Jones needs to be quoted in full as well: what he actually said was "“Don’t waste your time reading Barth and Brunner. You will get nothing from them to aid you with preaching. Read Pink” In a time when the Banner of Truth did not yet exist and Puritans books were almost impossible to find, Pink mediated warmly devotional Puritan theology and Lloyd Jones had found his writings helpful during his own bouts of depression. He therefore advocated his writings as more helpful to young preachers than the neo-orthodox writers who were hitting the headlines in those days. Are we surprised?

It seems (though I could be wrong) that Lloyd Jones primarily knew Pink through his writings, not personally. Is it possible that perhaps he knew little of Pink's personal eccentricities? It's not like Pink got out much and Lloyd Jones wasn't regularly in the Highlands of Scotland.

All that to say that anyone who reads Pink should do so with discernment, like any author, but I suspect that there are still many good things to glean.

PS it's always risky to psychologically analyze the dead, but I had the same thought as you, Stephen, about Pink potentially fitting what we now call the Autism spectrum.
Before the Murray and Belcher biographies were published, I suspect that many were not aware of Pink’s circumstances, especially those who only knew of him through reprints that were published after his death.

I don't think I've read the Richard Belcher biography through, but I remember one passage in which he notes that when Pink was in the pastorate, he would do things like shut himself in his office immediately after the service was over.

While he wasn't quite "mystical" and perhaps wouldn't have used words like "God told me," Pink's view of divine guidance was probably more subjective than many of us would feel comfortable with. If I recall correctly, he basically left Australia because he felt "God wasn't in it." And that was essentially the end of his public ministry.

I don't think I've read the Richard Belcher biography through, but I remember one passage in which he notes that when Pink was in the pastorate, he would do things like shut himself in his office immediately after the service was over.
Yes, he was not a people person and was more successful in itinerant evangelistic ministry than pastoral ministry, but ultimately his phobias brought him to devoting himself solely to his writing ministry.

I've thought a lot about his leaving church and besides his difficulty in social situations, I have the impression from the two biographies, and some of what he wrote in Studies in the Scriptures, that he set a high doctrinal bar and if a congregation's confessional position didn't reach that level he couldn't attend.

I don't doubt some of us on this board know something about those feelings.

For instance many of the congregations in that era, and in the places he found himself, were Arminian and/or dispenational. So between his personality, and his confessional convictions, that had to influence his behavior.

If you go to the Sermon Audio link in post 10, the lecture by Thomas Sullivan explains quite a bit of this in the 45 minutes or so he presents it.

Yes, he was not a people person and was more successful in itinerant evangelistic ministry than pastoral ministry, but ultimately his phobias brought him to devoting himself solely to his writing ministry.

I've thought a lot about his leaving church and besides his difficulty in social situations, I have the impression from the two biographies, and some of what he wrote in Studies in the Scriptures, that he set a high doctrinal bar and if a congregation's confessional position didn't reach that level he couldn't attend.

I don't doubt some of us on this board know something about those feelings.

For instance many of the congregations in that era, and in the places he found himself, were Arminian and/or dispenational. So between his personality, and his confessional convictions, that had to influence his behavior.

If you go to the Sermon Audio link in post 10, the lecture by Thomas Sullivan explains quite a bit of this in the 45 minutes or so he presents it.
Another issue was the changes in his doctrinal position through the years. His strong emphasis on personal holiness was likely as much of a turnoff as his rejection of dispensationalism and his Calvinism.

I likely wouldn't be able to find it again, but the defunct PB Ministries site had a brief piece posted by Pink that indicated that he had adopted what were essentially Landmark Baptist beliefs at one point under the influence of a Baptist preacher in the South. Later on, Murray (I think this is emphasized more in the 2nd edition) emphasizes that Pink took almost an ecumenical approach, which would be almost a complete reversal. Meaning that he identified with the best of the Congregationalists, the best of the Presbyterians, and the best of the Baptists. In that case, it is everybody else that is "too sectarian" or too narrow on some issues. If you spend all of your time with the worthies of past ages to the exclusion of most everything else, you're likely to be disappointed with your contemporaries, especially at a time when evangelical theology was at a low point.

Even though he had abandoned dispensationalism, Murray (and maybe Belcher) notes that he continued on with almost a "last days" attitude of most churches being practically apostate.

Last edited:
If you read Pink's The Sovereignty of God, be sure to read the edition published by Baker Books, as that is the book as Pink wrote it. Don't read Iain Murray's Banner of Truth edition, in which Murray practically re-writes much of the book to produce the book Pink "should have written." The Baker edition is Pink's actual book, wherein the man speaks for himself.

If you read Pink's The Sovereignty of God, be sure to read the edition published by Baker Books, as that is the book as Pink wrote it. Don't read Iain Murray's Banner of Truth edition, in which Murray practically re-writes much of the book to produce the book Pink "should have written." The Baker edition is Pink's actual book, wherein the man speaks for himself.
Other publishers (including Chapel Library) publish the unabridged book, but from what I've seen only Baker publishes the appendices. I don't know why that is. I would think they are in the public domain.

Note though that most if not all of Baker's other Pink books were culled from Studies, with them sometimes only publishing part of the works. While it is a useful book, I don't know for example if Pink would have endorsed the way that Practical Christianity was compiled. It starts out with maybe half or less of his series "Saving Faith" and then proceeds to include several other studies, several of which are also abridged.

Regardless, he never dreamed that all of those books would be printed. I think Murray reports that Pink was one of the bestselling authors of the 2nd half of the 20th Century.

Other publishers (including Chapel Library) publish the unabridged book, but from what I've seen only Baker publishes the appendices. I don't know why that is. I would think they are in the public domain.

Note though that most if not all of Baker's other Pink books were culled from Studies, with them sometimes only publishing part of the works. While it is a useful book, I don't know for example if Pink would have endorsed the way that Practical Christianity was compiled. It starts out with maybe half or less of his series "Saving Faith" and then proceeds to include several other studies, several of which are also abridged.

Regardless, he never dreamed that all of those books would be printed. I think Murray reports that Pink was one of the bestselling authors of the 2nd half of the 20th Century.

Westminster Seminary California has an almost complete set of Pink's magazine Studies in the Scriptures. Perhaps some diligent soul could plug the holes in some of those series and make them complete. The entire run of Studies in the Scriptures ran from January, 1922 to December, 1953.

Westminster Seminary California has an almost complete set of Pink's magazine Studies in the Scriptures. Perhaps some diligent soul could plug the holes in some of those series and make them complete. The entire run of Studies in the Scriptures ran from January, 1922 to December, 1953.
Didn't Chapel Library reprint the whole set? I'd think that would indicate they have a full set unless they borrowed someone else's.

This is probably stretching things a bit. In Stornoway at the time there were at least two flourishing confessional Reformed congregations (the Free Church and the Free Presbyterian church) and plenty more across the island if for any reason those particular congregations didn't suit him. However, as he was against infant baptism, it is questionable to what extent he was really looking to settle in a confessional Reformed church anyway.

Additionally although he wanted to preach for the Free Presbyterians, the impression that Rev Donald Beaton (FP theological tutor at the time) formed about him after personal conversation with him was that he did not accept the eternal Sonship of Christ. He had also spent time in the Strict Baptist congregation in Brighton but was disaffected there too, and was understood by contemporary members of the congregation to have left them because their pastor affirmed the eternal Sonship in his preaching (this was a live issue between Strict Baptists at that time).

Rev Donald Beaton (FP theological tutor at the time) formed about him after personal conversation with him was that he did not accept the eternal Sonship of Christ.
This is explicitly denoted in Pink's Commentary on Hebrews 1 (viewable here starting about half-way down the webpage).

This is explicitly denoted in Pink's Commentary on Hebrews 1 (viewable here starting about half-way down the webpage).

A. W. Pink states the following on this subject (taken from the above link):

“Unto which of the angels said He at any time, Thou art My Son, this day have I begotten Thee” (verse 5)?
This latter expression has occasioned not a little difficulty to some of the commentators, and, in the past, has been made the battleground of fierce theological fights. The issue raised was “the eternal Son-ship of Christ.”

Those affirming understood “this day (or “today”) the Greek is the same as in Luke 23:43 — to be timeless, and “this day have I begotten Thee” to refer to the eternal generation of the Son by the Father. Much of the fighting was merely a strife “about words,” which was to no profit. Though Scripture clearly teaches the Godhead and absolute Deity of the Son ( Hebrews 1:8, etc.) and affirms His eternality ( John 1:1, etc.), it nowhere speaks of His eternal “son-ship,” and where Scripture is silent it behooves us to be silent too. Certainly this verse does not teach the eternal son-ship of Christ, for if we allow the apostle to define his own terms, we read in Hebrews 4:7, “He limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today,” etc. This, it appears to us, illustrates the Spirit’s foresight in thus preventing “today” in Hebrews 1:5 being understood as a timeless, limitless “day” — eternity.

Didn't Chapel Library reprint the whole set? I'd think that would indicate they have a full set unless they borrowed someone else's.
I linked to what Chapel Library displays currently on their webpage in another current Pink thread. According to Thomas Sullivan's audio bio on Sermon Audio Pink did not consider what he had published before 1932 worth reprinting, so Chapel follows that lead and begins in 1932. They don't have all of the Studies listed online, but a partial list from the '30s through '50s. I don't know what they have available in hard copy, the link is to free e-books, PDFs. They have other titles, including the Sovereignty of God.

https://www.chapellibrary.org/search?input=Studies+In+The+Scriptures

I linked to what Chapel Library displays currently on their webpage in another current Pink thread. According to Thomas Sullivan's audio bio on Sermon Audio Pink did not consider what he had published before 1932 worth reprinting, so Chapel follows that lead and begins in 1932. They don't have all of the Studies listed online, but a partial list from the '30s through '50s. I don't know what they have available in hard copy, the link is to free e-books, PDFs. They have other titles, including the Sovereignty of God.

https://www.chapellibrary.org/search?input=Studies+In+The+Scriptures
That's interesting. I think many who share Pink's aversion to dispensationalism would disagree with the idea that nothing he published before 1932 is worth reprinting. I don't have Murray's bio handy, so I can't verify what was published before that date. Naturally, he was in the middle of some series in 1932.

But note that "The Sovereignty of God" was published before 1932, with 1929 being the last update that Pink worked on. Perhaps he was referring specifically to "Studies?" He basically disavowed other early books he had published, particularly on Bible prophecy, but it would certainly be news if we are to understand that he disavowed "Sovereignty" to some extent as well, although it might go some ways toward vindicating Murray's opinion of it, which is that Pink had modified his views on some things after 1929. Murray notes that Pink did not see fit to announce the last reprinting in his lifetime (1940 I think) of "Sovereignty" in "Studies."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back