Articles about whether the Earth is running out of food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
My daughter asked me for help so I figured I'd crowdsource.

I know Mathusianism was proven to be bunk, but are there any good books, academic articles, or other good articles that deal with whether or not food production will keep up with the world population?

My daughter asked me for help so I figured I'd crowdsource.

I know Mathusianism was proven to be bunk, but are there any good books, academic articles, or other good articles that deal with whether or not food production will keep up with the world population?
I don’t have an article, but our food production will be just fine as long as the elites don’t succeed in “curtailing global warming”.

Diet for a Small Planet is likely behind much of what is discussed on the topic. It argues that a vegetarian diet will ensure that the world will have enough food.

By they way, this is not a "non-issue". The productivity of certain areas and the ability for some to support themselves could be an issue but it is more of a global question.

Obliquely related to this question, I read Not Stolen: The Truth About European Colonialism in the New World late last year.

The relevance of this work is that he debunks many of the myths that used to be considered fringe about the genocide of native populations at the hands of the Europeans. He points out that, in that period, the most productive areas in terms of the ability to support a given population per acre was in Great Britain given the technology they were using at the time. Native populations in the Americas were much smaller because the techniques used could only support a much smaller population per acre. There is no way that millions of people could have lived back then on Central or South American islands.

The reason why the Malthusian predictions failed was that it failed to account for the massive increase in food productivity through technology as well as global shipping. Of course, many Environmentalists are so singularly obsessed that they would see people starve rather than allow for the continued use of technological means to keep up with food production demands.

BTW, I was just talking to my friend last week. His Grandfather was a farmer in Minnesota and his uncle continued in the same tradition and farms thousands of acres in Minnesota. The equipment used can be upwards of $500K per combine and other machinery but they can operate without any operators. The technology is amazing.

By they way, this is not a "non-issue". The productivity of certain areas and the ability for some to support themselves could be an issue but it is more of a global question.

Obliquely related to this question, I read Not Stolen: The Truth About European Colonialism in the New World late last year.

The relevance of this work is that he debunks many of the myths that used to be considered fringe about the genocide of native populations at the hands of the Europeans. He points out that, in that period, the most productive areas in terms of the ability to support a given population per acre was in Great Britain given the technology they were using at the time. Native populations in the Americas were much smaller because the techniques used could only support a much smaller population per acre. There is no way that millions of people could have lived back then on Central or South American islands.

The reason why the Malthusian predictions failed was that it failed to account for the massive increase in food productivity through technology as well as global shipping. Of course, many Environmentalists are so singularly obsessed that they would see people starve rather than allow for the continued use of technological means to keep up with food production demands.

BTW, I was just talking to my friend last week. His Grandfather was a farmer in Minnesota and his uncle continued in the same tradition and farms thousands of acres in Minnesota. The equipment used can be upwards of $500K per combine and other machinery but they can operate without any operators. The technology is amazing.
A dear friend lost family land after buying into the idea that America could feed the world if it took advantage of new technology. The smaller, family operations are in a perilous situation financing equipment with all the seasonal uncertainties, and that's true even for someone who has the education and international reputation that my friend has. That leaves the huge operators.

Those trying to ride the micro, eat-local wave encounter speculators buying up rural land and inflating the prices.

When I was reporting on farm issues, I used to find a bunch of info that the USDA pulled together, much of it from census data, that reported on the production and economies of rural counties. An extension agent would likely know how and where that data exists now.

It's sad that we are affected by these people in charge that seem to lean to harming us instead of using tax dollars to help us they choose to use it against us. This is because they have no use for Christ and His Bible. These are the problems we are facing just look around and you can now see it everywhere it's no longer in hiding.

What may happen with coming population decline is a negative impact upon world supply chains, economies, stock markets, real estate, etc. and we will enter into a period of deindustrialization.

When I was reporting on farm issues, I used to find a bunch of info that the USDA pulled together, much of it from census data, that reported on the production and economies of rural counties. An extension agent would likely know how and where that data exists now.
Perhaps not what you are referring to, but there are some scary stats out there:

1708811417209.png
See https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produ...rting-the-essentials/farming-and-farm-income/ for more visuals of data.

"Total land in farms decreased 1.9 million acres to 893,400,000 acres in 2022 versus 2021." And there are 9,350 less farms in the US than there were in 2021. ( https://www.agweb.com/news/business/farmland/how-many-farms-are-us#:~:text=2022 versus 2021.-,Here is other noteworthy farmland data, courtesy of USDA's Farms,down 9,350 farms from 2021. )

Essentially farms are becoming bigger and less diversified - in production and genetically. For example, the vast majority (9 million) of dairy cows in the US are Holsteins and 99% of them trace back to 2 bulls. And over 90% of corn and soybeans produced in the US are from genetically modified seedstock.

If we run out of food (i.e. the food supply collapses) I believe it will not because of an inability to produce enough on the amount of land we have, but because we will have become overly reliant on too few sources of food to overcome the failure of one or more of them. It's like we're building an agricultural tower of Babel.
What may happen with coming population decline is a negative impact upon world supply chains, economies, stock markets, real estate, etc. and we will enter into a period of deindustrialization.
This is very likely, especially when the issue of caring for an ageing population with an insufficient number of replacements is factored in. Just ask China. And I'm not yet convinced AI/robotics can/will necessarily be the answer.

Last edited:

Hi Rich,

I know this much. As the CO2 has increased, food production in the areas of the greatest concentration has increased. Nasa, who is no friend of debunking climate change, has published a number of articles about The Greening of the Earth due to CO2. As you might guess, the greenest areas are China and India and surrounding land areas. The only thing that could destroy food production is this insane insistence that we stop using fossil fuels.

If you are unfamiliar with the above findings, just do a search on NASA, by member Ed Walsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back