As goes sabbath so goes the nation, older ref than Matthew Henry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I have later quotations to this effect, but who are those that Henry refers to and are their older theologians, maybe First Reformation, or even older? And help by our diligent diggers after this sort of stuff is much appreciated.

“It is a true observation which some have made, that the streams of all religion run either deep or shallow, according as the banks of the sabbath are kept up or neglected. Profanation of the sabbath is sin for which God often contends with a people. The impiety of mankind, and their rebellion against God, appear in the contempt so generally shown to His command of hallowing the sabbath.” “The degree of strictness with which this ordinance [of the sabbath] is observed, or the neglect shown towards it, is a good test to ascertain the degree of spiritual religion in any land. And as this matter is connected with the national peace and prosperity of every land, as well as of Judah, we have need to take heed to ourselves. Let all who possess authority and influence use it, and by their own example, by attention to their families, let them strive to check the progress of this evil, that true religion may be revived, reformation promoted, national prosperity preserved, and above all that souls may be saved.” Matthew Henry, on Jeremiah 17:19–27.​

I am having a hard time finding it, but one of the secular philosophers (I thought it was Descartes, but I can't seem to find the quote now) said that if one destroys the Sabbath, one can destroy Christianity.

Mmmh; can't get past that even if there's a quotation along the lines of what I'm looking for, which I didn't see. Henry would not have had a Saturday sabbath guy in view I'm pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back