As Protestants, what are we protesting?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13126
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13126

I wrote the title of this post a bit tongue-in-cheek. I recognize that as Protestants in the historical sense we're protesting against the Roman Catholic Church. However, as this article from today reminded me, we ought to be protesting a whole lot more than that. My fear is that a widespread failure to exercise our rights in this country may result in the erosion of those rights. Rather than simply plead with folks here to do more to picket and protest against the flesh, the world and the devil, I wanted to open it up with a few questions.

1. As a Protestant, what are we [actively] protesting?
2. If we aren't protesting anything, do you think we ought to be?
3. Why or why not?

Reforming the Roman Catholic Church? Or do you mean little c Catholic?

Originally, it meant we were Reforming the Western Catholic church. Later developments put an end to that. Reforming "little c" Catholic could work, but that term would be so broad today to be meaningless. I think the best answer is we are retrieving historical resources today. I have in mind the guys like Matthew Barrett and Richard Muller who are bringing us to the larger Reformed witness. Beeke's RHB is also bringing out the Reformed Scholastics, which are so desperately needed today.

I'm still protesting against the errors (to put it mildly) of Rome.
I wouldn't call myself "Protestant" in another context such as protesting against liberalism or heretical movements, etc., for which I'd instead used the term "reformed" or just plain "Bible believing"!

Originally, it meant we were Reforming the Western Catholic church. Later developments put an end to that. Reforming "little c" Catholic could work, but that term would be so broad today to be meaningless. I think the best answer is we are retrieving historical resources today. I have in mind the guys like Matthew Barrett and Richard Muller who are bringing us to the larger Reformed witness. Beeke's RHB is also bringing out the Reformed Scholastics, which are so desperately needed today.
Ok thanks- I don’t quite follow that all (as to how it impacts ongoing Protestantism) but understand there’s burgeoning thought and activity around the Scholastics and such.

Point of order: The term "Protestant" originally was a political term, not a religious one.

The term "Protestant" came about because some Princes of the Holy Roman Empire "protested" the edicts of the Diet of Speyer.

Of course, the name "Protestant" came to encapsulate anyone that followed the Reformers over and against the Papacy, but that's not how it started.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ok thanks- I don’t quite follow that all (as to how it impacts ongoing Protestantism) but understand there’s burgeoning thought and activity around the Scholastics and such.
To be sure, it is hard to focus these issues on "what are we still Protestanting?" In terms of the Western European situation as it relates today, the answer is "not much." What will bear fruit is getting guys like Junius, Vermigli, Zanchi, and the like more accessible.

To be sure, it is hard to focus these issues on "what are we still Protestanting?" In terms of the Western European situation as it relates today, the answer is "not much." What will bear fruit is getting guys like Junius, Vermigli, Zanchi, and the like more accessible.
Is the pen mightier than the pulpit? I ask because the idea that the first pulpit was fashioned for the outdoors speaks to my original point and the article that I linked to.

Books have their use, surely. But can academic pursuits not often keep us from the harder, more practical, less scholarly work? Are there things we should be protesting more locally, more publicly? Much of that kind of work can be done sitting down. What should we take a stand for?

Shall we take the light from the hill and set it in the library?

Is the pen mightier than the pulpit? I ask because the idea that the first pulpit was fashioned for the outdoors speaks to my original point and the article that I linked to.

Books have their use, surely. But can academic pursuits not often keep us from the harder, more practical, less scholarly work? Are there things we should be protesting more locally, more publicly? Much of that kind of work can be done sitting down. What should we take a stand for?

Shall we take the light from the hill and set it in the library?

The pulpit is mightier in terms of means of grace. The pen is much mightier in terms of larger reach. In any case, the purpose of the original Reformation was to reform worship, which used both pen and pulpit (sorry for the bad modern reference).

As to what we should protest more locally, more publicly? I have no idea. That is not high on my radar. I go back to the marks of the church. In terms of church life, it is that which affects the marks of the church for which I take a stand.

Now that I think about it, things worth protesting for, or at least reclaiming:

Light of nature/natural theology.
Classical doctrine of God.

"We are Evangelical because we protest the authority, truth claims and idolatry of the Roman Catholic Church."

- Puritan Board Homepage

My answer is basically that.

I have planted my garden and eat from it. The Lord has given me children, and we have sought the prosperity of the city where we live. It ain't cerebral, daring, or romantic, but that's how exiles are told to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back