Ash Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
What's the diff between Lent and Ramadan? :candle:

I wonder how far Paul would have got in Athens or Corinth or anywhere else... with your spirit brother!

Just because someone does not belong to a Christian community now, does not mean that person is not of the Elect....people get saved or did you forget that...

Mock mock mock...

Or is it just Americans get saved these days :)

[Edited on 2-13-2005 by just_grace]

Originally posted by just_grace

I wonder how far Paul would have got in Athens or Corinth or anywhere else... with your spirit brother!

Just because someone does not belong to a Christian community now, does not mean that person is not of the Elect....people get saved or did you forget that...

Mock mock mock...

What in the world are you talking about?

Originally posted by just_grace

Mock mock mock...

What in the world are you talking about?

Andrew, I think he was taking your statement to mean that all who celebrate Lent (and thus are presumably Catholic, and thus "not belonging to a Christian community") are in the same boat as those who celebrate Ramadan, and are thus lost and apostate.

David, if that is what you took Andrew's statement to make, I'm sure you were misunderstanding him, since he simply meant that Lent is no more a legitimate holiday in which Christians should participate than is, say, Ramadan.

Thanks, Chris.

My point was really that Lent and Ramadan are both 40-day-long ritual "fasts" that purport to make a person more holy by the partaking (even though neither is a true Biblical fast). Both the Roman Catholic and Muslim approaches to holiness are works-based and the similarities are striking.

I certainly wasn't commenting on the persons who might partake of either ritual, but rather the rituals themselves.

I am a former Catholic and quite aware of the fact that God is able to save Roman Catholics and Muslims. I don't know why David assumed I was arguing somehow that only Americans can be saved, since I didn't say anything about Americans.

It seemed a strange response to a simple rhetorical question.

I think the following Scriptures speak to both the Lenten and Ramadan practices.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. (Col. 2.20-23)

Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. (Matthew 6.16-18)

[Edited on 14-2-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back