Attending service taught by woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the imperative may carry over as in "I do not allow" or it may be that Paul intended to be understood as writing "I am not permitting" thereby implying a departure from his normal practice.

If Paul merely intended this to be a one time prohibition pertaining specifically to this church, why then does he make an appeal to creation order in the next verse? "For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived fell into transgression." It seems odd that Paul would appeal to a universal truth and condition merely to justify a command to a particular church in light of a particular situation.

That oddness is precisely the reason why I am no egalitarian. But the grammatical ambiguity is present in 1 Tim 2:12 and by being present it technically opens the door to the possibility that Paul is using that universal truth to justify a departure from his normal practice. While there are a number of points made in Scripture that suggest that women in the NT may have had something of a teaching role vis a vis men at some times in contrast to the traditional view of 1 Tim 2:12, there is, as previously noted no corresponding ambiguity in the scriptural texts dealing with homosexuality. It is universally condemned both in orientation and action and that's why one cannot call the pro women hermeneutic the same as the pro gay hermeneutic. The difference is also why the attempt to produce what DMcFadden calls an "academically acceptable argument" justifying the progay position is doomed to fail.

I am looking for some advice.

I am a complementarian. I believe that women should not be teaching from the pulpit and should not be assuming spiritual headship over mixed congregations.

My evangelical Baptist church is egalitarian and believes there is no perpetual prohibition of female elders (I have already debated this matter to no avail). Now this has not been a problem so far because we have a male minister, but it has been pointed out to me that there may be female guest preachers in the coming months.

If I know in advance, should I attend anyway or should I visit another church where there will be a male teacher?

Just curious, is your Church part of the FIEC?

I am looking for some advice.

I am a complementarian. I believe that women should not be teaching from the pulpit and should not be assuming spiritual headship over mixed congregations.

My evangelical Baptist church is egalitarian and believes there is no perpetual prohibition of female elders (I have already debated this matter to no avail). Now this has not been a problem so far because we have a male minister, but it has been pointed out to me that there may be female guest preachers in the coming months.

If I know in advance, should I attend anyway or should I visit another church where there will be a male teacher?

If your Church is Oakham Baptist church, then I have the answer. It is in the Baptist union, which Charles Spurgeon parted ways from. I have searched for good churches in your area and the nearest I could find is a FIEC church, which I would not recommend. I will recommend that you move to another part of England that has a good Church. The nearest town I could find is Wellingborough Tabernacle, which is about 30 miles away from Oakham.
I will recommend that you find another Church.

If you had transport, another church you may consider is about 30 minutes from you in Peterborough. Salem Baptist Chapel is apart of the Grace Baptist Churches (Reformed, Confessional) - Salem Baptist Chapel & Church in Peterborough

If you wish, I know the man who is heading up the work there. I could arrange for him to get in contact with you, perhaps they have transport to assist you in attending church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back