Augustine in Reformation / Catholic Reformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
Hey PB'ers,

I wanted to let you know that I'm working on a new project for school and work. I'm putting together resources for studying the reception of Augustine in the Reformation and Catholic Reformation. I would be remiss if I didn't probe the knowledge of PB'ers.

At some point, I hope to take this up through scholasticism, but right now I'm working on the foundations. How was Augustine being read, interpreted, and used on the Eve of the Reformation? What role does he play in Luther's early exegesis and controversies? As the early Reformers were solidifying their theological identity, what role did Augustine play, either influencing or legitimating their theology?

My blog, Sacra Pagina, will hopefully be charting my progress over the coming months. I invite interested persons there to ask questions, give advice, refine ideas, or just peek at what's going on.

As the early Reformers were solidifying their theological identity, what role did Augustine play, either influencing or legitimating their theology?
Calvin on Augustine:
Augustine is so wholly with me, that if I wished to write a confession of my faith, I could do so with all fulness and satisfaction to myself out of his writings. (Src: A Treatise on the Eternal Predestination of God)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back