Augustine on the Scriptural Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Part of my on-going studies is in the area of patristics, particularly the view of the early church on Scripture. Just when you think you've collated everthing a particular church father has to say on a certain subject, you find that there is more that has escaped you. I was reading William Whitaker again the other night for the second time when I came across this quote he translated from Augustine. I then went and pulled Migne for the Latin text (as I do every time I comes across a quote in a secondary source) in order to verify the authenticity of it. The English title of this work from Augustine is Against the Letters of Petilianus, which he wrote in three books. The whole of this work has never been translated into English, but is slated for translation by New City Press sometime in the near future in the Rotelle series new translation project of The Works of Saint Augustine.

Augustine (354-430): Whether the subject be Christ, or his church, or anything else appertaining to our faith and life; if (I do not say we, who are no wise comparable to him who said, "˜though we,´ but even what he there immediately subjoins, if) an angel from heaven preach to you anything besides what you have received in the scriptures of the law and of the gospel, let him be accursed! Translation in William Whitaker, A Disputation on Holy Scripture Against the Papists, Especially Bellarmine and Stapleton, trans. and ed. William Fitzgerald (Cambridge: University Press, reprinted 1849), p. 624.
Latin text: Proinde sive de Christo, sive de ejus Ecclesia, sive de quacumque alia re quae pertinet ad fidem vitamque vestram, non dicam nos, nequaquam comparandi ei qui dixit, Licet si nos; sed omnino quod secutus adjecit, Si angelus de coelo vobis annuntiaverit praeter quam quod in Scripturis legalibus et evangelicis accepistis, anathema sit. Contra Litteras Petiliani, Liber Tertius, Caput 6, PL 43:351.

DTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back