Augustine's "City of God"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, I've got my summer reading project ready to go. I'll be reading Augustine's "On the City of God Against the Pagans" this summer. I'm using Henry Bettenson's translation from 1972 - the Penguin Classics paperback edition.

To help me along, I've acquired two books:

Augustine's "City of God:" A Critical Guide, edited by James Wetzel; Cambridge Critical Guides series (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012).

Augustine's "City of God:" A Reader's Guide, by Gerard O'Daly; 2nd edition (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020). First edition: 1999.

So, it's going to be Oxford vs. Cambridge. Heh. The O'Daly is a book-by-book trip through the entire work, while the Wetzel is a collection of essays about Augustine and the book.

I'm hoping to be both informed and entertained this summer.

Well, I've got my summer reading project ready to go. I'll be reading Augustine's "On the City of God Against the Pagans" this summer. I'm using Henry Bettenson's translation from 1972 - the Penguin Classics paperback edition.
Same here! I’m almost 250 pages in, it’s been great so far

Been slowly reading through it for 14 years. I'd try to speed up, but every time I read a section, there's so much to think about. :duh:

I restarted reading volume 2 the other day and then felt I needed to go back to the end of volume 1 and had to stop and think after a couple pages. Very hard to read quickly.

BTW, I highly recommend the New City Press translations of Augustine. Not cheap but very clear and readable.

The Paideia Center for Theology holds study groups on classical works for fall and spring. This upcoming series will be on the City of God. You should check to see if there is a study group near your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back