AWANA

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have about 20 minutes, I think it might help to listen to this. One of the most important points my pastor makes in this brief address is getting the people in the local church on the same spiritual diet.

I think you would do far better to catechise your children to reinforce what you're being taught within the context of the local church, assuming that your local church is sound. That would prove more productive than risking other sources undermining what you purpose to teach your children and then having to undo the damage.

:2cents:

They are. The PCA churches in the St L area refused to have them as they could not sign the SOF in good conscience. For that reason we ruled out one of the PCA churches here...they have AWANA....you have to sign the SOF in order to have it at your church. Conflict. In fact, the church we are visiting right now also has a non-reformed "club"...not too happy about this when there is KidsQuest available (catachising).

I agree with above poster...catechism is the best way to go. (btw, my children were in AWANAS when we were Dispensational/baptists and it is a grilling thing. I was relieved to leave it behind)

Originally posted by jaybird0827
If you have about 20 minutes, I think it might help to listen to this. One of the most important points my pastor makes in this brief address is getting the people in the local church on the same spiritual diet.

I think you would do far better to catechise your children to reinforce what you're being taught within the context of the local church, assuming that your local church is sound. That would prove more productive than risking other sources undermining what you purpose to teach your children and then having to undo the damage.

:ditto::up:

My son has gone the last 3 years to AWANA and it is a good program. It would be a shame not to have him involved with it. He gets invoved with other childern in the church. And the activities they do Glorify the Lord. Sure there is definetly a place to teach catechism but there is also a place to have fun and fellowship. I suppose I could isolate my son from the other boy's and girl's on Wednesday nights and keep him home so we could go over the catechism. But there are other nights of the week we can do that. :amen:

We stay away from AWANA.

My wife went as a child (her dad is a baptist pastor) and it is very focused on getting your kids to say the "sinners prayer". in my opinion these programs do a lot of damage to covenant children by promoting easy-believism & a false assurence.

I am suprised that a PCA church would be able to have an AWANA program because my understanding is that they will not set up a paedobaptist church with the program.

Originally posted by Scott Shahan
My son has gone the last 3 years to AWANA and it is a good program. It would be a shame not to have him involved with it. He gets invoved with other childern in the church. And the activities they do Glorify the Lord. Sure there is definetly a place to teach catechism but there is also a place to have fun and fellowship. I suppose I could isolate my son from the other boy's and girl's on Wednesday nights and keep him home so we could go over the catechism. But there are other nights of the week we can do that. :amen:

Or perhaps confessional churches need to implement more group learning activities for the children within their congregations.

The Kids' Quest Catechism Club that JColleen mentioned looks very cool; I never heard of it before. Last night I emailed many of the local PCA churches asking if they offer this program through their churches.

Fellowship and social interaction is great, but kids ask a lot of questions. I am not so sure I trust the people who will be answering those questions being that I will be leaving my kids in the care of some of these churches that I sharply disagree with. One of the churches in my area that offers AWANA only uses KJV and another church has women officers and practices divine supernatural healing through laying of hands. I don´t want to confuse my kids.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

I find this interesting because I find myself in a situation where I HAVE to be a leader in an AWANA program for school. Not to swtich the subject, but I had to watch their instructional video and it was a VERY shallow way of sharing the gospel!

What should I do as someone who is obligated to be apart of the program in order to stay enrolled at my school (Moody Bible Institute)?

YIKES! I wish I knew what to tell you. Have you tried sitting down with the dean or whomever?

Other than that, your main thing is memorizing scripture...grin and bear it?

haha I know.. well I figure that I present the Gospel in a Biblical way when asked to do so.... I won't be at Moody next semester so it is only for a while... I really don't know what to do though... I knew it would be really weird! God has put me here for a reason... what the reason is could be interesting! :)

I'm an AWANAs leader and have two daughters in the program-- both in Sparks. I like the aspect of involvement with other kids and it's an overall good, positive way to spend the time. As a parent, I enjoy working on the verses with my daughters at home. Yes, I could do that without them being in AWANAs too.

I was a leader last year as well, and I can tell you that premillennialism was never mentioned, nor was I pressured to get anyone to pray the "sinners prayer".

There's some goofy things, sure, but nowadays everything is a little bit goofy. It depends on what hills you are willing to die on. For me, those hills have decreased in recent years. Time was I would probably wax poetic about the Textus Receptus or some other essential, but alas no more. I was so much older than. I'm younger than that now.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
They are. The PCA churches in the St L area refused to have them as they could not sign the SOF in good conscience. For that reason we ruled out one of the PCA churches here...they have AWANA....you have to sign the SOF in order to have it at your church. Conflict. In fact, the church we are visiting right now also has a non-reformed "club"...not too happy about this when there is KidsQuest available (catachising).

I agree with above poster...catechism is the best way to go. (btw, my children were in AWANAS when we were Dispensational/baptists and it is a grilling thing. I was relieved to leave it behind)

Colleen,

What is a SOF? I go to a Evangelical Free Church which teaches the Doctrines of Grace. I would like to know what is the theological problem with the AWANA program. I have looked at their material for a few years now and I am not sure what the problem is. My son has to memorize scripture verses every week, is there somekind of problem with that? and then we are to do different activities together, such as arts and crafts or field trips, ect, I need you to show me in their literature where the theological problem is. :book2:

[Edited on 06-07-2006 by Scott Shahan]

Founded on the Rock,

Why not mention to those in charge the other program Ladyflynt mentioned?

They might consider implementing that as an alternative or maybe find it to be a better program and do away with the other altogether.

Scott,

SOF = Statement of Faith. The SOF on the website states believer's baptism and premillinialism.

My issue with the program does go deeper. My children were in it for several years (four or five years). It has a high burn out rate. We had alot of verses to learn (and in my case alot of children with different verses). Some of the leaders were kind and understanding...some were not. To them and then to the kids, it was very stressful and come hell or high water the child better memorize the verses in a short time or get left in the dust. This was frustrating. The goal was on rewards and recognition...not truely an understanding of the Word. At first glance the program looks great...from having lived it, it can be gruelling. A friend's son is dyslexic and the leaders gave him a really bad time, had the mother in tears...she finally grabbed someone she knew and said here is the problem and that she was about to pull him. That one person was kind enough to take over and help her son out and inform the other leaders that he MUST be permitted to go at his own pace. And then there is leader burnout. I have never seen a program that adults tried to hide from recreuitement as much as they did this program.

Being involved in our SBC AWANA program for our 5-6-7 year olds, I fail to see the "HARM" in being grilled with memorizing scripture. I mean, step back and listen to how that sounds!

As a reforming SBC member, I am not privy to all the interesting programs like "Kids' Quest Catechism Club" and others that have a more Reformed flavor, but let's be realistic here. I see first hand the positive effect this program has on kids, if not just time spent in God's word and with loving adults who care about where they might spend their eternity. God is at work in AWANAs just as He works in Kids Quest. No program, however well thought-out is flawless in conception, administration, or methods.

YIKES! I wish I knew what to tell you. Have you tried sitting down with the dean or whomever?

Other than that, your main thing is memorizing scripture...grin and bear it?

I'm not against the memorization.

I'm against the fact that memorization in the mind takes primary place over understanding of the heart. That rewards, recognition, speed, and how many kids can win at conference takes place over working together in class and actually TEACHING. I have not seen any true CARE or TEACHING in this program. Ringing a bell and having a child give a memorized answer is not what we are after. Having a child understand what and why is.

I agree!

I have been invloved with our AWANAs program for 3 years now. I have yet to see any hint of a pre-mil "bent" nor have I heard or witnessed anyone pressured to pray a "sinners prayer."

When I see our children come to Christ--as He draws them--I have seen a very concerted effort on the part of our parents, pastor and workers, to help them understand the drawing of the Holy Spirit and the seriousness of where He is leading them.

Excellent point Rick about waxing poetic. Let's not major on the minor here. ;)

Originally posted by Rick Larson
I'm an AWANAs leader and have two daughters in the program-- both in Sparks. I like the aspect of involvement with other kids and it's an overall good, positive way to spend the time. As a parent, I enjoy working on the verses with my daughters at home. Yes, I could do that without them being in AWANAs too.

I was a leader last year as well, and I can tell you that premillennialism was never mentioned, nor was I pressured to get anyone to pray the "sinners prayer".

There's some goofy things, sure, but nowadays everything is a little bit goofy. It depends on what hills you are willing to die on. For me, those hills have decreased in recent years. Time was I would probably wax poetic about the Textus Receptus or some other essential, but alas no more. I was so much older than. I'm younger than that now.

Mayhap, it is how the program is handled from place to place.

There is still the issue of having to sign a SOF that is contrary to what a church believes (ie., a prebyterian church signing something that is contrary to paedobaptism).

True Caring and Teaching is the epitomy of what is taking place with these children in our Awanas program. I can't count the times I have nixed the memorization and replaced it with stories that teach simple truths. Being that my age group is 5-6-7...and that many are just dropped off at our church by their parents, I have also nixed the teaching when I have seen that some of these kids just want a little rough-housing, a hug, or some individual time and attention. God works through us in all the above ways. Kids know when they are loved. I think it is extremely hard to fool a child in matters of the heart, and I also believe they are extremely intuitive. Understanding of the heart is captured in all its profoundness when a child knows he is loved with the love of Christ. That is what we do in Awanas.

I'm not against the memorization.

I'm against the fact that memorization in the mind takes primary place over understanding of the heart. That rewards, recognition, speed, and how many kids can win at conference takes place over working together in class and actually TEACHING. I have not seen any true CARE or TEACHING in this program. Ringing a bell and having a child give a memorized answer is not what we are after. Having a child understand what and why is.

[Edited on 9-26-2006 by caddy]

Mayhap, it is how the program is handled from place to place.

There is still the issue of having to sign a SOF that is contrary to what a church believes (ie., a prebyterian church signing something that is contrary to paedobaptism).

:ditto:

Faithful Presbyterian elders will be keenly aware of their accountability before God in their decision to sign, or not sign, such a statement.

Note Statement of Faith here.

[Edited on 9-26-2006 by jaybird0827]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by jaybird0827

:ditto::up:

:ditto: I have heard some horror stories about Arminian teaching to the core at AWANA.

I have heard some horror stories about Arminian teaching to the core at AWANA.

Is this statement verifiable? Or is it just what you've heard.

I've heard horror stories about Presbyterians, that' they're all hyper-Calvinistic and don't believe sinners should be told to "believe". Surely it must be true.

You know, I've been away from here for quite a while, and now I remember why. It's the weasel-like remarks like this.

Originally posted by Rick Larson
I have heard some horror stories about Arminian teaching to the core at AWANA.

Is this statement verifiable? Or is it just what you've heard.

I've heard horror stories about Presbyterians, that' they're all hyper-Calvinistic and don't believe sinners should be told to "believe". Surely it must be true.

You know, I've been away from here for quite a while, and now I remember why. It's the weasel-like remarks like this.

It depends on what you mean by verifiable. I'm sure I could get the phone number of the people who attended/helped lead at AWANA if you wanted to "verify" the information that way. If you are asking me if I have seen this first hand, the answer is no. Are they trustworthy witnesses? In my opinion, yes.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
:ditto: I have heard some horror stories about Arminian teaching to the core at AWANA.
I'd agree that the teachings definitely (from my experience, anyway) are much more Arminian than Calvinistic. I use to be an AWANA leader for a number of years and there was always an invitation given to 'accept Christ', with the emphasis being 'its your choice'. The idea that God chooses people for salvation was never taught. This is how it was locally, and that's also how it was when we had the regional grand prix and the regional olympics (a message was always given at the end, with an opportunity to 'accept Christ'.)

[Edited on 9-26-2006 by blhowes]

^^^

I have not seen this, but obviously, being SBC there is a definate Arminian element in our Church Service. So much so I am sure that I probably can't even understand from a Reformed or Presbyterian perspective the dynamic that runs through their services.

J.I. Packer chose to stay in his current Anglican Church and work with all the flaws from within. Do we leave or are we to stay and be salt and light to our current churches and programs, flawed though they are!? I have so far chosen the latter, so would appreciate your kind understanding and prayers....

Let's just face the facts that nothing is going to pass muster with you guys unless it's a 100% Reformed presentation, complete with footnotes from the Westminster or LBC, and even then you'll argue about details and intricacies and someone will no doubt hit the floor as a heretic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back