B. B. Warfield on the evil of forsaking corporate worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
No man can withdraw himself from the stated religious services of the community of which he is a member, without serious injury to his personal religious life. It is not without significance that the apostolic writer couples together the exhortations, “to hold fast the confession of our hope, that it waver not”, and “to forsake not the assembling of ourselves together.” When he commands us not to forsake “the assembling of ourselves together,” he has in mind, as the term he employs shows, the stated, formal assemblages of the community, and means to lay upon the hearts and consciences of his readers their duty to the church of which they are the supports, as well as their duty to themselves.

And when he adds, “As the custom of some is,” he means to put a lash into his command. We can see his lip curl as he says it. Who are these people who are so vastly strong, so supremely holy, that they do not need the assistance of the common worship for themselves; and who, being so strong and holy will not give their assistance to the common worship?

For the reference, see:

I know an individual that does go off on his own and forsakes the community of believers to a greater extent. Sometimes he is seen in the church but those times are few and far between. His spiritual life suffers as a consequence. He has aberrant ideas concerning marriage. He has been married several times. One of those marriages involved a woman with the mind of an 11 year old. Even his beliefs concerning God are heterodox.

I used to attend a Baptist Church that viewed the sabbath as being fulfilled in Christ. Because of this, the attendance of church members, deacons, and even elders tended to be spotty in the summer months. People would miss many weekends camping, racing in 5k,10k+ races, and Triathlons (this was my thing). There is a lack of understanding of what corporate worship archives every Sunday.

I started to feel convicted of this and raised this as a concern in my Baptist church at that time but not much changed. Our family now attends an RPCNA church and couldn't be happier. They have a high view of worship and I have since become more intentional with corporate worship. My family has also been thriving in a church that values worship. I think it speaks volumes about its importance.

No man can withdraw himself from the stated religious services of the community of which he is a member, without serious injury to his personal religious life. It is not without significance that the apostolic writer couples together the exhortations, “to hold fast the confession of our hope, that it waver not”, and “to forsake not the assembling of ourselves together.” When he commands us not to forsake “the assembling of ourselves together,” he has in mind, as the term he employs shows, the stated, formal assemblages of the community, and means to lay upon the hearts and consciences of his readers their duty to the church of which they are the supports, as well as their duty to themselves.

And when he adds, “As the custom of some is,” he means to put a lash into his command. We can see his lip curl as he says it. Who are these people who are so vastly strong, so supremely holy, that they do not need the assistance of the common worship for themselves; and who, being so strong and holy will not give their assistance to the common worship?

For the reference, see:

I wish I could amen this like 100 times. There are so many who think church is something you just do when nothing else in going on. Even within reformed churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back