B. B. Warfield on the levity of Keswick theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
A certain levity lies at the heart of “the Keswick Movement”; its zeal is to assure ourselves that we are actually and fully saved, rather than to give ourselves to the repentance which is due to our sins, to the working out of salvation with fear and trembling, to heavenly mindedness, and a life of prayer and a walk in love. ...

For more, see B. B. Warfield on the levity of Keswick theology.

A certain levity lies at the heart of “the Keswick Movement”; its zeal is to assure ourselves that we are actually and fully saved, rather than to give ourselves to the repentance which is due to our sins, to the working out of salvation with fear and trembling, to heavenly mindedness, and a life of prayer and a walk in love. ...

For more, see B. B. Warfield on the levity of Keswick theology.

I wasn't aware that the Keswick movement was that old...

I like how the movement uses the same terminology as the Wesleyan holiness movement, yet they deny the holiness doctrine of entire Sanctification.

Would the main difference between the two be that the Keswick folks are dispensationalist, while not all holiness people are dispensationalist?

Would the main difference between the two be that the Keswick folks are dispensationalist, while not all holiness people are dispensationalist?

That question is a good one. I should know the answer to it off the top of my head, but I will need to check the secondary sources.

"It imagines that there can be faith without repentance and conquest of sin without moral struggle."

Faith without repentance seems to be a very dispensationalist idea, similar to the hyper-dispensationalist doctrine of the "carnal Christian".

I like how the movement uses the same terminology as the Wesleyan holiness movement, yet they deny the holiness doctrine of entire Sanctification.

Their key teaching would be to let go and to let God.

"It imagines that there can be faith without repentance and conquest of sin without moral struggle."

Faith without repentance seems to be a very dispensationalist idea, similar to the hyper-dispensationalist doctrine of the "carnal Christian".

Their key teaching would be to let go and to let God.
David it correct here as far as I know. Its not the crazy and stereotypical antinomianism rather they think sinning comes from trying and a lack of faith.

I think early Holiness people (i.e. in the 19th Century) actually tended to be postmil. They have also always taught that a true believer can apostatize. The tendency among them is legalism rather than easy believism.

I don't think the Keswick people that Warfield has in view (also Ryle in "Holiness") were necessarily dispensational. (Probably almost none of them were at first. From what I understand, dispensationalism was mainly confined to the Plymouth Brethren in the UK and was then exported to North America and elsewhere.)

While the sanctification doctrine of Lewis Sperry Chafer is often said to be "Keswick," it is really a combination of Keswick and other emphases, including Reformed theology. I think he taught things that Keswick teachers generally denied, although I can't remember what they were off the top of my head. Maybe eternal security is one of them, particularly his form of it.

Last edited:
After some research it appears that it was DL Moody that first embraced both dispensationalism and Keswich theology. The founder of Keswich theology, William Boardman, had no connection with dispensationalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back