Bagpipes

Discussion in 'Music' started by JM, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

I had my first bagpipe lesson last night on a chanter. Wow, that's was different. Any pipers on PB? I'm looking for recommended videos with the basic scale and other basics so I can improve upon the sound I'm producing.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

2. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

I thought about taking up the bagpipe at one point - then I read that it takes about 10 years to be any good. I decided I had better use for my spare time over the next decade, so I re-thought.

I expect you to upload some video files in a decade or so.

3. JM

I was told it would take about a year for the basic tunes. That's not bad. I have the scale down for the most part I'm just looking for a video to compare the sound with.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

4. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

I grew up in Kearny, NJ, a town that became the home of thousands of Scottish immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th-century. I am a descendant of Scottish immigrants. It was not unusual to hear the pipes playing during parades, celebrations, and at my high school. This video reminds me of the tunes I grew up with.

5. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

The most interesting thing I've ever read about bagpipes:
    Bagpipes – A Weapon of War!

"For hundreds of years... the bagpipes, when listed among the items captured in combat, was counted among rifles, sabers, and munitions. It is interesting to note that bugles and drums were recorded as musical instruments, where the bagpipe ranked among the lists of weapons."

:)

6. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

I've always loved the sound of bagpipes of all sorts. Scottish pipes, Uillean pipes or Northumberland smallpipes. There is something special about the sound.

Not everyone loves them, though! When I was a teenager, my mum wasn't such a big fan of my bagpipe CDs.

7. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

You were probably the only teenager listening to bagpipes. ;)

8. JM

I did! I never missed a Highland Games.

9. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

I guess the only rational conclusion is that PBers are an odd bunch. ;)

(I grew up preferring Rachmaninoff over Goo Goo Dolls.)

10. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

The sound of my cat hacking up a furball is to be preferred over Goo Goo Dolls.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  11. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

If you squeeze your cat while it is hacking up it sounds strangely like bagpipes.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. LadyCalvinist

LadyCalvinist Puritan Board Junior

:p

13. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

Come to think of it, I don't seem to remember any of my friends having posters of the Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (PADOTRSDG for short).

14. JM

I feel dizzy after playing a short time. This is a very difficult instrument.

o_O

15. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

The last couple of Nightwish albums have pipes. I don't recall which ones.

Btw, they are a symphonic metal band...so they might be an acquired taste for some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.