Baker Edition: Calvin's Commentary on Hosea

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
I am reading Calvin's commentaries on Hosea along with my study of the book, and happened upon a funny printing error in my copy. I'm wondering if others of you who have the 22 volume set (not the 5-volume Banner of Truth edition, although I'd be interested to find out whether the same issue exists there) have, on page 173 of the Hosea section of Volume XIII, the printing error I have. That is, page 173 is in fact NOT from Calvin's comments on Hosea, but is a copy of page 173 of his comments on Daniel, which is also in the same volume. The remarkable thing is it seems NOT to be an insertion of a whole 4-page single piece of paper, but rather is a single page misprint (page 174 picks right up with Calvin's words on Hosea).

Anyone find the same error, or more interestingly, anyone have the 22 volume set from Baker that does NOT have the same error? Wonder if I can trade it in? Mine is from the 2003 reprinting.

Yours in Christ,

Todd

Todd, I have the exact same 2003, 22-hardback-volume Baker edition, and sure enough, the exact same misprint is there. I was hoping that page 173 in Daniel was perhaps the missing page from Hosea, but indeed they are both the exact same page on Daniel. That's unfortunate, since the set is therefore missing that page on Hosea. But I'm sure there are ways of finding out what Calvin said there, ranging from looking at the context of the surrounding pages to trying to find a mention of it online. I'm glad you pointed this out, since I just recently received my set in the mail the other day.

The list price is $225. Amazon sells it new for $184.50. Personally, I lucked out (even though luck is just a short way of saying providence!) and got it used in new condition for $120. It's a great set.

Oh man ...$99.00 for 22 volumes of Hardcover commentaries. That's a pretty righteous deal! Perhaps they'll do it again sometime -I'll have to keep my eyes on it.

Reformation heritage books, sells the 22 volume set of Calvin for $135. But i was wondering why the book of Job is not included, and does have this set more books (besides Job) which are not included ?

[quote:479b75ae5f]Oh man ...$99.00 for 22 volumes of Hardcover commentaries[/quote:479b75ae5f]

I saw that offer and didn't buy it. Somebody kick me. :banghead:

On the other hand, I did once get the entire 16-volume set of the works of John Owen from CBD for $15 and alerted my pastor and several others to that deal. So, at least I've got that going for me. :D

[quote:62d7d1b46b]
On the other hand, I did once get the entire 16-volume set of the works of John Owen from CBD for $15 and alerted my pastor and several others to that deal. So, at least I've got that going for me. :D[/quote:62d7d1b46b]

I take it you meant $150? I got mine a few years ago from cvbbs.com for
something around that much. I just wish Sibbes & Brooks would go for something less than $100... (but I've never seen deals that good on either of them)

Todd

[quote:08cdab95f4="fredtgreco"]$99 from CBD on sale last year. (Sorry Chris :chained: )[/quote:08cdab95f4]

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I actually bought mine from Paul Martin. He's looking to sell his Reformed works, including Owen's and Edwards' complete works, and other things.

[quote:1b05e097a8]I take it you meant $150?[/quote:1b05e097a8]

No -- that wasn't a typo. I got it for $15.00 (or maybe $15.99). I was so astonished that I thought CBD's catalogue had a typo. I called them to make sure it wasn't a mistake. The call center guy looked it up and said that's right. I immediately ordered a set and alerted several people whom I knew would be interested. I personally know of at least 7 or 8 sets that were purchased that day at that price. I still wonder whether it was a mistake at CBD and they just decided to honor the quoted price.

[quote:e2caa8fe8a="Me Died Blue"][quote:e2caa8fe8a="fredtgreco"]$99 from CBD on sale last year. (Sorry Chris :chained: )[/quote:e2caa8fe8a]

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I actually bought mine from Paul Martin. He's looking to sell his Reformed works, including Owen's and Edwards' complete works, and other things.[/quote:e2caa8fe8a]

Who is Paul Martin, why is he looking to sell his reformed works, and how can I get his Edwards?

Paul Martin, as in Rembrandt. I was talking to him on AIM about his return to Romanism and he asked me if I'd like to buy some Reformed works, since he doesn't have a use for them anymore. Another one that I forgot to mention above was Warfield's complete works. Unfortunately, I only had the money to buy Calvin, otherwise I would've already done Owen, Edwards and Warfield as well.

Fred, he was offering the classic Hendrickson edition of Edwards' works in new condition for $45, and the CBD price is $60. To you and to Matt, his e-mail address (listed in his profile) is [email protected]. In addition to the Reformation Study Bible, he has several other books as well, but they're just regular-sized paperbacks by popular Reformed authors.

Wow...'looks like Rembrandt really flipped his wig for the Romish thing. And I didn't really feel like his pro-Rome argument was so persuasive as to make one overlook the multitude of obvious and well documented errors and contradictions authorized within the Roman Church.

Considering how fast he seemed to move through other theological perspectives (based on his own testimony) it seems pretty rash to sell off such gems as Calvin and Owen, etc. Somehow I have a hard time believing that he even absorbed a fraction of what is contained in those works.

Owen for Bellarmine...Westminster for Trent...Scripture for Bull...(no pun intended)...I don't know man.

Owen's collection for 15 bucks!!! Who is this CBD? Do they have a web-site?

No need to move. But let's keep this on point. I'm closing.

Todd, if you get a response from CBD, PM me and I'll reopen for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back