Banana Ketchup Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
Thought I'd post this into a new topic to help make it visible.

Originally posted by Lauren Mary
Never heard of Banana Ketchup so I looked it up and found a recipe (see below) from the SF Chronical. I have not prepared this recipe so I cannot vouch for it, but the ingredients read like a variation of some chutneys, and it also sounds delicious. Too, there are lots of websites that sell Banana Ketchup. I bet this is good with curry dishes as well as Mexican food. The presence of uncooked rum in the recipe may not make this suitable for everyone but at least the recipe tells us a little more about this fruit ketchup.

Banana Ketchup
Ingredients
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup coarsely chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 1/3 cup cider vinegar
4 large very ripe bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
3 to 4 cups water
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp ground allspice
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp dark rum

Instructions
Combine the raisins, onions , garlic, tomato paste and 1/3 cup vinegar in the container of a food processor., Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large, heavy saucepan.

Add the banana chunks and another 1/3 cup vinegar to the food processor container. Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the banana mixture to the saucepan. Add the remaining 2/3 cup vinegar, 3 cups water, brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper.

Bring the mixture in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook the ketchup, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours. If the ketchup threatens to stick to the bottom of the pan at any point, add some of the remaining water, up to 1 cup.

Add the corn syrup, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cloves to the ketchup. Cook the ketchup over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes longer, or until it is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Stir in the rum. Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool a few minutes.

Force the ketchup through a fine sieve to strain it, pressing down hard on the solids. Let it cool to room temperature, then store the banana ketchup, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.

Credits

Thanks, that's a keeper. Later, when I'm not getting ready for school, I'll post a gooseberry chutney.

Deploy barf bags!

Gooseberry Chutney

3 lbs. gooseberries
8 oz. raisins
12 oz. onions, peeled & chopped
1/2 oz. crushed mustard seed
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t ground mace
1 Tbsp salt
2 lbs. brown sugar
1/2 pt. malt vinegar

Put all ingredients into pan, bring slowly to simmering point, cook over low heat until blended and vinegar has been absorbed. Takes 2 hours. Stir with wooden spoon. Seal and store.

It's good with fish and turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back