Baptist brothers I need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PresbyDane

Puritanboard Doctor
Today I talked with a really dear friend of mine, he was the man that first tought me when I bacame a christian at the age of 16 today nearly 10 years later he is 60 years old, and I have grown in my faith and theology, but the love for this "my father in Christ" is the same as it has always been.

When I talked to him today he asked what I was doing this summer, When I told him one of the things I was doing was going to a Paul Washer conference here in Denmark set up by some baptist friends of mine, he got all worried and started to talk seriously to me about how dangerous this was, he said:
They do not believe in "original sin" and thus deminish grace, the re-baptise and on and on it went....

As you can hear he has you confused with the anabaptist of Luthers day.
I tried to explain and told him some of the stuff that I have heard from Paul Washer, to which he replied "if Washer said that- that he beliefs original sin and does not practise re-baptism, then he is not a baptist"
I said there was a difference between anabaptist and reformed baptist, he had never heard of reformed baptist and questioned if they even excicted (he thought I was mistaken)

He asked me to find "evidence" and send him, remember he is 60 in many ways set in his ways and does not read english, could you help me with what and how to explain the baptist position, so I do not do you any injustice.

Thank you in advance,
Yours sincerely brother martin.

One of the simplest things you could do is show him a copy of the 1646 London Baptist Confession of faith. It is from that confession that the 1689 LBC was developed. These two confession clearly show the belief in original sin and the other tenets of Reformed faith. The 1646 also clearly states they Baptists are not Anabaptists.

One of the simplest things you could do is show him a copy of the 1646 London Baptist Confession of faith. It is from that confession that the 1689 LBC was developed. These two confession clearly show the belief in original sin and the other tenets of Reformed faith. The 1646 also clearly states they Baptists are not Anabaptists.

:agree:

I am a Southern Baptist in Texas. Even those that profess to be Southern Baptists are all over the map. The LBCF is a great place to start. (although most SBC Baptists have never heard of it) Here is a link to the SBC Faith and Message which is the most common document of unity you'll find in our denomination. Baptist Faith and Message 2000

Good luck with your discussions with your friend.

In Christ.

Today I talked with a really dear friend of mine, he was the man that first tought me when I bacame a christian at the age of 16 today nearly 10 years later he is 60 years old, and I have grown in my faith and theology, but the love for this "my father in Christ" is the same as it has always been.

When I talked to him today he asked what I was doing this summer, When I told him one of the things I was doing was going to a Paul Washer conference here in Denmark set up by some baptist friends of mine, he got all worried and started to talk seriously to me about how dangerous this was, he said:
They do not believe in "original sin" and thus deminish grace, the re-baptise and on and on it went....

As you can hear he has you confused with the anabaptist of Luthers day.
I tried to explain and told him some of the stuff that I have heard from Paul Washer, to which he replied "if Washer said that- that he beliefs original sin and does not practise re-baptism, then he is not a baptist"
I said there was a difference between anabaptist and reformed baptist, he had never heard of reformed baptist and questioned if they even excicted (he thought I was mistaken)

He asked me to find "evidence" and send him, remember he is 60 in many ways set in his ways and does not read english, could you help me with what and how to explain the baptist position, so I do not do you any injustice.

Thank you in advance,
Yours sincerely brother martin.

Martin here is the Sermon Audio Link to the lesson I taught on the Anabaptists. I will try to find the notes on my computer by Saturday.

SermonAudio.com - The Anabaptists

Yes Danish and Norwegian is very similar to danish so he can read that, he might also be able to read swedish

I've come accross a twenty year old Dutch Reformed girl who thought the expression "Reformed Baptist" sounded like an oxymoron!! Just lack of knowledge. Some Continental Reformed folk say that Baptists, or "Anabaptists" as they may call them, can't be properly Reformed.

I've come accross a twenty year old Dutch Reformed girl who thought the expression "Reformed Baptist" sounded like an oxymoron!!

My wife was one of those when we met :lol: Exactly 20 and Dutch Reformed, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back