Baptist view on the Lord's Supper and Church Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
In order not to hijack a current thread, I thought a separate dialogue might prove profitable.

Brother Rich suggested that the majority of Baptist churches would deny the Lord's Supper to paedo's. I concur. Certainly that would be the case in Finney-Scofield style Baptist churches. I wonder what is the view of Calvinistic, Reformed or Particular Baptist churches? I'm also curious as to what these churches believe in regards to church membership.

Recently Bethlehem Baptist Church (John Piper, Pastor) took up the issue of church membership for paedos into consideration. While the majority of the elders supported allowing paedo's to join without being immersed, a minority of elders dissented, therefore Bethlehem Baptist Church has not adopted the consideration, although they plan to revisit the matter again. You can read about it here.

It is the opinion of this Baptist that there should be no requirement for participation on the Lord's Supper other than: a) a professed belief in the Lord Jesus Christ b) having been baptized c) not abiding in willful or gross sin.

Additionally, it is this Baptists opinion that membership should be open to those who have been baptized as infants and display the evidence of a Christian life. There would be certain expectations should a person who falls into this category desire to join. They must understand that we believe believers baptistism is scriptural. Secondly, the would be barred from teaching otherwise. Thirdly, they would not be able to teach or hold leadership in the church unless they were in agreement with our baptismal position.

I don't believe that either of these areas would negate Baptist's from being Baptist's. The 1646 and 1689 LBC's are at best, ambiguous on the matter of who may participate in the Lord's Supper. The issue of church membership for those baptized as infants is not addressed at all. As brother Rich so rightly pointed out, many Presbyterians churches will accept credo's as communicant members. I am sure there are those Presbyterian churches who won't, but God bless those that do. Would it undermine our Baptist distinctives if we allowed paedo's or those baptized as infants to join with us?

I believe these questions are worthy of discussion. While the comments of my Presbyterian brethren are welcome in this thread, I want my Baptist brethren to weigh in. Don't be shy!

Personally, I like the way that Bunyan approached it. He never elevated the doctrine of water baptism to the point that some of our Baptist and Presbyterian brethren do and it did bring him some grief. For the life of me I just can't partake in the fights about it. However, in my church a Paedo would be allowed to take the Lord's supper but would not be allowed to join unless he submitted to baptism by immersion. :2cents:

I grew up in a PCUSA, am now a member of a Reformed Baptist church.

I can't speak for other RBCs, but when I joined my current church (I was a founding member) I had been baptized as an infant - I was able to join the church and able to participate in the Lord's Table. (I have since been baptized as a believer) We do have one or two other members who were baptized as infants and have not been re-baptized as believers.

As far as the Lord's Table - pastor makes it clear that the Lord's Table is for believers, that participants can't be under church discipline. If we have visitors he'll greet them before the service and explain our Lord's Table beliefs and practice - that way they know before that part of the worship service.

I am watching closely what Bethlehem Church is doing. I'm interested in the idea of accepting paedos into membership, although it might be a hard nut to crack. I know if my church goes in that direction I will be paying a price in my association with other Southern Baptist churches.

As far as participating in the debate betweem Baptist and Presbyterian brethren on the issue of baptism I'm with James. Just won't do it. Personally, I know I will not profit from it. Then again, my view is a little different than most.

I have decided to do a serious personal in-depth study on the issue again(LORD, please give me the time!!). I have ordered a number of good books on the subject from the Baptist perspective. I'll need to get a couple from the other perspective too, just to be fair....to myself...and others.

No Paedo would be barred from the Table at our Baptist church. (Although they are kind of like mythological creatures around these parts. There are no English speaking Presbyterian churches in our neck of the woods. Seeing they have no place to go, we would welcome them with open arms.) They would be required to examine themselves first, and be warned about taking unworthily.

The paedo/credo debate has been raging in its present form for about 500 years now and the church has not come to a concensus. I wonder how long it will continue before both sides realize that maybe their arguments are not as good as they think? Maybe we could cut each other some slack and realize that the disagreement might not be a matter of disobedience or stubbornness on either side.

Would any church deny the Table to someone who did not believe the Pope is the antichrist? (That would be contrary to both confessions)

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back