Baseball Glove

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
What do I look for in an all purpose glove (if there is such a thing)?

You would be looking for a glove that is not made for the 1st baseman or catcher. Depends how much you're willing to break it in and pay. The expensive ones take forever to break in, but will last for a really long time. In general, you can find a decently priced one that is easy to break in. I spent $60ish on my last one and it's working out great for me. I bought it at the local Sports Authority. I just play catch with it, so I wasn't looking for anything fancy. Whatever you do, don't let it pancake (get flat). You want it to form a nice pocket (so the glove will be more round).

All-purpose in terms of multiple positions on the baseball field or all-purpose in terms of baseball and softball use? If it will just be used for baseball and you want a nice glove that you would like to have (and cherish!) for years to come, get a Wilson (make sure it's leather). Anything from 11 to 12 inches should serve you well for a glove that can be used at about any position. If you plan on using it in softball you could extend your range from 11 to 13 inches.

Rawlings is the other brand to consider. Mizuno and Easton are usually good, too. Nokonas are too expensive and overrated, in my opinion.

Again: Leather, 11 to 12 inches (could use in infield or outfield), Wilson or Rawlings.

Make sure you keep a baseball where the pocket and palm meet. Stretching a rubber band around the outside of the glove (around where the baseball is) will help you form a nice structure to your new glove.

Thanks folks.

What else are gloves made of other then leather? When I looked at them at Wal Mart I couldn't tell the difference of material just price. Wilson and Rawlings started at $30 bucks and went up.

Many cheaper gloves are made from synthetic, pleather-like material. These will work alright but will not last. I bought my softball glove at Walmart for $20 or $30 and it's one of those. You may have to look at a Sporting Goods store to find something that will last. The nice thing is that if you get a good glove and take decent care of it, it can honestly last you 50 years.

Two ways to tell: 1) the smell test. You will be able to smell the leather.
2) the gloves often have the material printed on it somewhere.

Wilson A2000. No better glove on the market. Will last you a lifetime, but be ready to spend $175 or more. Synthetic gloves (unless you're paying more than this) are generally not worth a second glance.

Thanks folks.

What else are gloves made of other then leather? When I looked at them at Wal Mart I couldn't tell the difference of material just price. Wilson and Rawlings started at $30 bucks and went up.

If you go to Dick's sporting goods, look at the professional glove rack that ranges from $200-$300. You'll see the difference in the thickness of the leather and it's quality and craftsmanship. I don't think you'll need this kind of glove for a general purpose. Just go with what the others are saying...you want one that forms a nice, round pocket that makes sort of a basket when you roll the ends around. No bulging of the leather in the pocket area. Many people fold the glove at an angle and catch the ball in the web; this limits the catchable space. The glove should fold in more of a U-shape to catch the ball in the palm area, and provide a deep, round pocket.

Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back