Basics of Amillenialism question

Status
Not open for further replies.

robot

Puritan Board Freshman
Can someone make a short summary of what amillenialism is all about? How does it view prophecy in Revelation; is it all in the future, or has some of it been already fulfilled? Any help would be appreciated.

Amillennialism (or, Realized Millennialism) is the teaching that the 1000 years of Revelation 20 began with the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and extends to His second advent.

Amillennialists hold that the dragon, Satan was overcome by the blood of Christ and that he was bound that the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ may be preached in all the world.

We hold that the first resurrection is the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of the saints by our union with Him. During this realized millennium the saint (including those who have been martyred) do indeed presently live and reign with Christ.

At the second advent of our Lord, all who are in the grave shall be raised, some to the resurrection of life, and some to the resurrection of damnation. All men shall stand before the judgment seat of Christ, and all whose names are not written in the book of life shall be cast into the lake of fire. Those whose names are in the book of life shall dwell upon the New Earth eternally.

As the Book of Revelation was written to the churches, so also the things therein are for the church, and hence are applicable thereunto, throughout this present age.

The church of Jesus Christ has endured many great tribulations throughout the age, and shall continue to endure them until the coming of our Lord. The book of Revelation was written that the church might take hope in that although we be persecuted in this present age, this is but a short season. Our Lord, the Sovereign who even now reigns over all the earth, shall prevail against our persecutors. His kingdom shall endure forever. If we endure this tribulation, we shall inherit all things through our Lord Jesus Christ.

[Edited on 3-28-2004 by Dan....]

Robot:

Short isn't so easy, although Dan...... did a good job. I recommend you read [i:dbd456d858]Worthy Is the Lamb[/i:dbd456d858] by Ray Summers. It's about as short as you can get with about 225 pages.

The first part of the book is an overview of the major views of Revelation. He then does a great job of interpreting Revelation for what it is - a book of great encouragement in difficult times, even severe persecution. Even those who do not agree with his amillennial stand will benefit from his good work showing how Revelation is dedicated to the glory of Jesus Christ.

BTW, you can get his book on Amazon.

[quote:1504e2ea6d][i:1504e2ea6d]Originally posted by robot[/i:1504e2ea6d]
Can someone make a short summary of what amillenialism is all about? How does it view prophecy in Revelation; is it all in the future, or has some of it been already fulfilled? Any help would be appreciated. [/quote:1504e2ea6d]
If you would like a classic Amil view of Revelation, read Hendrickson's [i:1504e2ea6d]More than Conquerors[/i:1504e2ea6d]. It's a short amil commentary on revelation.

What is the amillennial view on the anti-Christ, the two witnesses, etc.? Is it similar to the historicist view?

[quote:cbf58b1eaf][i:cbf58b1eaf]Originally posted by robot[/i:cbf58b1eaf]
What is the amillennial view on the anti-Christ, the two witnesses, etc.? Is it similar to the historicist view? [/quote:cbf58b1eaf]
The Antichrist will be an individual or group perhaps, that will lead the world against Christ before the 2nd Advent.
The two witnesses represent the church.

amillennialism

Amillennialism is the belief that the millennium of Revelation 20 and the Church Age are one and the same.

[quote:4ced222e29][i:4ced222e29]Originally posted by robot[/i:4ced222e29]
What is the amillennial view on the anti-Christ, the two witnesses, etc.? Is it similar to the historicist view? [/quote:4ced222e29]

It is quite possible to be a historicist and an amillennialist, so your question makes no sense.

[quote:1abc4fdd9a][i:1abc4fdd9a]Originally posted by Fernando[/i:1abc4fdd9a]
It is quite possible to be a historicist and an amillennialist, so your question makes no sense. [/quote:1abc4fdd9a]

oh, ok. Sorry about that:)

[quote:24f9fd1fd2][i:24f9fd1fd2]Originally posted by robot[/i:24f9fd1fd2]
What is the amillennial view on the anti-Christ, the two witnesses, etc.? Is it similar to the historicist view? [/quote:24f9fd1fd2]

Since Revelation is the revealing of Christ, read the Book in that light.
The two witness' of Chapter 11 are the Law and the Prophets. Christ's teaching from the Law and Prophets during the 3.5 years and even today burn the heart of the hearers. The burning of the Word in our lives kill our flesh.

I'm not sure the anti-Christ is necessarily a person. What could be more anti-Christ than the apostacy of the church which we are told will be at the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back