BATMAN BEGINS - Reviews or Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Okay - as one brother said to me, "Matt, you're a study in contrast." Turretin plus Batman is an interesting mix of the mind, eh?

I have to admit, Batman Begins was outstanding.

Everyone was typecast perfectly. From Ras Al Ghul, to the Scarecrow, to Christian Bale playing the Dark Knight, it was A+. I never liked the original Batman series put together by Tim Burton (the gothic reject). The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Batman movies were more corny than a cornfield. This one blew away Michael Keaton in the first Batman, and rescued it from the "goofy" stage.

After the first 45 minutes, I counted it as probably one of the top 5 action movies I'd ever seen. I loved the martial arts aspect, and the League of Shadows (especially poignant for those of you who follow, or followed, the comics).

It had a great story, and never stopped for a moment.

I would not recommend it for children. NOT REMOTELY. Too scary and too intense (Scarecrow was REALLY intense).

Note: They used the Lord's name blasphemously one time (which was exceedingly disappointing to me).

In any case, Scott will be upset that we didn't go together, so I'll just have to go with him next week when he returns from his vacation.

My wife is not "into" these kinds of movies, but went with me anyway - and she loved it.

As a man with over 2500 Batman comics (almost a complete run of several titles, many back to Nov 1966), I have to agree with the Webmaster's assessment. I was enthralled from the beginning until the very nice ending (with its teasing setup of a sequel).

I thought Bale did a magnificent job, both as Bruce and Batman. I especially like him in costume. What rage!

A few quibbles: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

1) I didn't really "feel" Bruce becoming Batman. I can't explain it but I just didn't sense the emotional journey as much. It seemed too "easy" - psychologically speaking.
2) I like the overseas training aspect but they left out his training in all the sciences. In fact, in the comics. Henri Ducard was a French private detective who trained Bruce in that work. However, Bruce is not much of a detective. Of course, he's only been Batman for a few weeks so that will come.
3) I'm not sure if I like Lucius Fox knowing Bruce's secret. I guess it will help in the long run having a man of Fox's talents inventing things for him. But it won't be long before everybody in Gotham knows the great secret.
4) Again, not sure about the whole Al Ghul/Ducard thing.

But those are VERY minor. I left thrilled. I believe I had a smile on my face through most of it. I will see it again, possibly multiple times with different friends/family. I will buy the DVD as soon as it comes out. Finally, Tim Burton and Joel Shumacher have been exorcised from my psyche!

Thanks for the review Matt. Ever since the first Tim Burton disaster I hoped someone would redo the entire thing. Glad to hear it is up to par. The previews alone look better than the originals.

Someone kindly fill me in.... what is the League of Shadows, and who is Scarecrow? The only Batman I know prior to this movie (besides the Burton films) is the old campy movie from the 60's or 70's with Julie Newmar, Caesar Romero, Adam West et. al. So I am only familiar with the penguin, joker, riddler, and catwoman.

How does this one rank in quality overall with the Spiderman movies and the X-men movies?

SPOILERS:

-The league of shadows is where Bruce Wayne trains to become Batman. No, while he is training he does not know he is going to be "Batman" yet, but he wants to fight for justice and against crime. Something happens at the end of his training that "changes his perspective". You will see what that is isn the film.

-Scarecrow is a major Batman villan from the comics. He is a psychatrist that is really "crazy" himself out to make fear his weapon. If I say any more it will ruin the movie for you.

As for how it ranks with the Spiderman and X-Men movies...better than the X-Men movies and equel or even slightly better than the Spiderman movies. It's THAT good.

Originally posted by houseparent
-The league of shadows is where Bruce Wayne trains to become Batman. No, while he is training he does not know he is going to be "Batman" yet, but he wants to fight for justice and against crime. Something happens at the end of his training that "changes his perspective". You will see what that is isn the film.

-Scarecrow is a major Batman villan from the comics. He is a psychatrist that is really "crazy" himself out to make fear his weapon. If I say any more it will ruin the movie for you.

As for how it ranks with the Spiderman and X-Men movies...better than the X-Men movies and equel or even slightly better than the Spiderman movies. It's THAT good.

Sweet! Can't wait. Thanks Adam.

For some reason, Batman as a whole has never really done anything for me. But I might see this one simply because it looks interesting as a film.

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
For some reason, Batman as a whole has never really done anything for me. But I might see this one simply because it looks interesting as a film.
Chris,

I'm pretty much felt the same. This movie was pretty striking though. There's just no getting around it--it was cool to the bone. If you have access to IMAX I most definitely recommend the experience.

One quick echo of Matt's original post: it's probably too much for kids who haven't reached their teens. I could definitely see it giving a seven year old nightmares. Not worth an 'R' rating or anything though.

The Dark Knight is back!!!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!! I just got back from it....Loved it!

I agree Adam, the best Super Hero film to date in my opinion. Not that it's "better" than Spider Man, I couldn't be happier with those films, but, man, this was good. They did a great job in explaining the technology behind the cape etc.

The crowd in the theatre was cheering at the end.

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

The crowd cheered in my theatre also. I saw it Friday. Great movie! By far the best comic book/superhero movie ever, and is a great start to a new series. When is the next one scheduled for release?

[Edited on 6-20-2005 by RAS]

No schedule yet, but the entire cast signed for 3 films. The bummer? This opened to LESS money than the last Batman fil (Batman and Robin) which was horrible.

Sad!

It's just sad that quality films rarely pull in the money that the junk does...so the beat goes on.:um:

I may now actually see this.I have not been interested in Batman since the first movie but after reading about this new one.......

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
I cant say how awsome that movie was!!!
Absolute perfection as far as a batman movie should go!!!
I would see it again then star wars then batman then star wars etc.....

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

SPOILERS:

I gave it a 7.0. As a standard, the Last Samurai was a perfect film; it gets the 10! Ciderella Man gets 7.5. The fight scene's in this batman were not clear; I hate that. Batman did not use any weapons really to speak of. Katie Holmes was a bad first lady; they could have used someone better. Spiderman was better in my estimation as well was X-Men 2 and Seabiscuit.

My 2 cents

[Edited on 6-23-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Awwww.....

That hurts.:(

But I have to say, you're right about the fight scenes. I like some of the effect they were going for, (happens so fast nobody knows what hit them) but a little more clarity would have been nice, see a blow or defensive move here and there.

I loved it though.

I need to see Cinderella man...so little time to see movies.

No intrest in Seabicuit at all. My wifes mom said they took the Lord's name in vain so many times in Cinderella man that she couldn't stand it and noticed little else about the movie, and Spiderman 2 was absolutely awesome, but I find the X-Men movies average at best.

Finally going to the movie house to see what you are all excited about. I will see if what you say is true. You know 'Test the Spirits'.

No schedule yet, but the entire cast signed for 3 films. The bummer? This opened to LESS money than the last Batman fil (Batman and Robin) which was horrible.

Yeah....but I think the "real" Batman fans that got ripped off by the other installments will come around...it does seem as though the writers for this one were amazingly faithful to the original material and vintage quality of the stories. We can only hope they keep that up in the future episodes.

As with "Lord of the Rings" I was cringing at the thought of yet another horrible disappointment in making a book into a movie. Wow --- see what happens when there's a devoted, intelligent director/writer, attempting to preserve a great story?

Being a serious fan of the vintage Batman stories, I came away stunned and thrilled to see "Batman Begins". Now we can gleefully forget all former idiotic expressions of the Dark Knight. Michael Caine as "Alfred" just absolutely made it, for me! What a fabulous expression of that character --- what a fine use of villians, too. A really solidly, satisfying story (who cares about SPFX?)

Sorry kiddos, this might be too scary with all the bats!

:cool:

Robin

It was the most awesome Comic Book movie to date. My boys said it made Star Wars look bad. I have to agree. We liked Star Wars also. But Batman the Beginning was very, very, very good.

Eight fingers and Two thumbs up.

:um: Just one question. How do we use awesome and batman in the same context? I mean we are talking about a movie here. Does it really deserve awesome? There just seems to be a little incongruity between the two. Maybe I have a disconnect somewhere :p

batman like Star Wars is only appreciated fully by those who understand the type of film it is meant to be. Most frequently people are 'disapointed' because they expect 'LOTR' out fo star wars and dont get it. Or expect 'Spiderman' out of Batman and get disapointed. Just my thoughts. Batman was AWSOME!!!! Plain and Simple. Star Wars was AWSOME!!!!! Plain and Simple.

Blade

Originally posted by Michael Butterfield
:um: Just one question. How do we use awesome and batman in the same context? I mean we are talking about a movie here. Does it really deserve awesome? There just seems to be a little incongruity between the two. Maybe I have a disconnect somewhere :p

When I call something awesome I mean it in the context of what it is. For a movie, or a superhero/comic book movie Batman Begins is absolutely awesome.

Waiting for that punk who does\'nt like his move!!!

batman.begins.movies.photos.jpg

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by Bladestunner316]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back