Bavink advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

For personal reasons I've decided to not take the deep-dive into Bavinck's 4 volume Dogmatics. I instead purchased the1 volume abridged version, and have profited greatly from it.

My question is this: is The Wonderful Works of God (formerly Our Reasonable Faith) very similar to what I already have? If so, how much difference is there between the 2 works? Would I just be duplicating my reading by purchsing Wonderful Works?

From what I understand, the book I posess is John Bolt's abridgement from the 4 volume work, while Wonderful Works is Bavinck's adaptation of his 4 volume work. If I'm incorrect please let me know.

Thanks for any advice!!

From what I understand, the book I posess is John Bolt's abridgement from the 4 volume work, while Wonderful Works is Bavinck's adaptation of his 4 volume work. If I'm incorrect please let me know.
This is right. The abridgment of the Reformed Dogmatics is the work of an editor. The Wonderful Works of God is a related but separate work of Bavinck himself. Some people call it Bavinck’s own abridgment, but this is not correct. It is a separate work but, because it is Bavinck, has the same flavor.

If you would like to peruse the "Wonderful Works," it can be read and downloaded free of charge here.

If you would like to peruse the "Wonderful Works," it can be read and downloaded free of charge here.

Monergism used the first edition of 1909 for its computer generated translation. It is missing a chapter: “Diensten en Ambten” (services and offices).

According to a preface to the 2nd edition of 1931 of C.B. Bavinck (Hermans’ brother), Herman Bavinck had written that chapter to be included for when his book would be reprinted.

Monergism used the first edition of 1909 for its computer generated translation. It is missing a chapter: “Diensten en Ambten” (services and offices).

According to a preface to the 2nd edition of 1931 of C.B. Bavinck (Hermans’ brother), Herman Bavinck had written that chapter to be included for when his book would be reprinted.

Has this chapter been translated and published?

I stopped reading Bolt's abridgment of Bavinck's 4-volume dogmatics because, based on what Bolt says about how he went about doing the abridging, it's hard to tell, at any given spot in the work, if one is reading Bavinck or if one is reading Bolt.

I had the same question regarding Wonderful Works of God and the difference with Reformed Dogmatics. They are quite different and each valuable in its own right. I highly recommend both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back