BBQ Joints

Discussion in 'The Iron Chef' started by Blue Tick, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Tick

Blue Tick Puritan Board Graduate

I love your humor!:rofl:

2. Blue Tick

Blue Tick Puritan Board Graduate

I love the name of this place.

[video=youtube;6CYoZABWvUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYoZABWvUU[/video]

3. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

Thats it!!! VANS PIG STAND Probably been 20 years and I still remember it.

also I can't believe I forgot these two near Austin that bowhunter mentioned

kreus market in lockhart.....prolly the best one in the state

meyers smokehouse in elgin

They are also institutions.

4. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

Richard, you could go back to Van's today and I'm sure the decor would be exactly the same as you remember it. Time stands still in Shawnee...

http://www.pigstands.com/

5. Chris

Chris Puritan Board Sophomore

Probably the banana pudding. I've never met a banana pudding I didn't like (and eat...)

:up:

6. bigheavyq

bigheavyq Puritan Board Freshman

bbq in florida

Ozona bbq near clearwater FL
    specialty is bbq nachos. torilla chips, pulled pork, nacho cheese, and jalapenos, mmmm good

7. javajedi

javajedi Puritan Board Freshman

Oh yea, the Salt Lick. Actually here in Austin and vincinity you can visit a different BBQ place every day for long, long time :up:

My favorite is brisket from several places... The best are often the out of the way places.

8. javajedi

javajedi Puritan Board Freshman

Elgin, that's where I live - Meyers is OK, but get off the highway and try Crosstown...

9. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

You guys gotta quit makin me drool, it's gettin messy around here! I want to try Van's, but it means going to the Midwest. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent!

10. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

Meg, it's worth the drive...

11. Rev. Todd Ruddell

Rev. Todd Ruddell Puritan Board Junior

There are a couple of chains that do a decent job--I agree that one is able to find that BBQ shack that serves that knock-your-socks-off sweet/bitter/smokey meat and sauce--brisket or or a rack--who cares if it's been done right!

As far as chains go, here in Dallas we have Spring Creek BBQ--good slaw! Dickey's as has been mentioned, Sonny Bryans, and we have the Memphis import, Red, Hot, and Blue--good dry rub! Then there's North Main BBQ over in Euless, which is the all-you-can eat (you can hurt yourself) Friday Ribs.

There also a spot out in Sulphur Springs called "Bodacious BBQ" Only in East Texas!

Thanks for the fun thread.

12. puritan lad

puritan lad Puritan Board Freshman

Best BBQ I've ever had was in Charlottesville, VA at a place called "Pee Wee's Pits". Excellent.

13. Carolyn

Carolyn Puritan Board Freshman

17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro, IL has the best by far.

My parents brought it up for our son's high school open house and our place was mobbed - about 100 more showed up than I had thought would come (AND I had made enough food)! At least River Falls, WI knows what BBQ is supposed to taste like now.

Side note on regional differences in cuisine: in western WI, "BBQ" is used to refer to what I grew up calling sloppy joes! "Goulash" is hamburger, tomato sauce, and cooked elbow mac cooked all afternoon in a large roaster oven.

14. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

I would visit this place often as I used to live nearby (five minute walk from the parsonage!):

http://www.doublebarrelbbq.com/

If you are ever in the area I highly recommend it. Try their pulled pork sandwhich served with baked beans and baked potato salad.

15. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

I've got to check that one out -- is it in Scottsville, perhaps?

16. LadyFlynt

LadyFlynt Puritan Board Doctor

If you ever in Nashville, check out Fate's Pig & Pie. The best baby back ribs you ever had...literally melts in your mouth (and I never thought meat could do that).

17. jbergsing

jbergsing Puritan Board Sophomore

Are you kidding? I live in Alabama. We're known for our BBQ! Pulled pork is practically it's own food group out here! Man, now I know what I want for supper!

18. jbergsing

jbergsing Puritan Board Sophomore

Been there .. she ain't lyin'! Oh, my mouth is watering thinking about that place! I don't think I can get my wife to drive 2 hours north just for supper, though...

19. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

20. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Any good BBQ joints in southwestern Wisconsin or Northern Illinois? Roughly in the physical area of Milwaukee, WI to Antioch, IL to Rockford, IL to Madison, WI and back to Milwaukee.

21. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

Ivan -

Don't think we have anything up this way that compares to what you can get in the real home of BBQ. People don't seem to have an appreciation for it in the midwest... :(

Todd

22. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

Personal name (and food!) favorite BBQ -

The Dinosaur Barbecue (both in Syracuse and Rochester, NY) - great stuff!

Todd

23. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

How about the St. Louis area?

24. ServantOfKing

ServantOfKing Puritan Board Freshman

When I was in college in Tallahassee there were 2 hole in the wall BBQ places owned by the sweetest families -
    one was called Gertie's Barbecue off of Crawfordville Highway. They were only open a couple days a week and they don't have a website.
    The other one we loved is called Jack's off of US-29/ Appalachee Parkway.
    We just tried a new place the other day called Piggin and Grinnin in New Smyrna Beach, FL and it was pretty good :)
    I guess you could say my husband and I are BBQ afficionados and always try to find the best hole in the wall places to support them :)

25. SpiritAndTruth

SpiritAndTruth Puritan Board Freshman

EXTREMELY well put... :cheers:

26. caddy

caddy Puritan Board Senior

Yes...Friday night's is "Bailey's Night"

My wife and I have the BBQ Pork Plate, cole slaw, Baked Beans, Sweet Tea. She gets the Loaded Potato an I get the Onion Rings.

It is off of Old 41 just outside of Ringgold, Georigia

"Oh yes it's Bailey's Night...and I'm feeli...." oh well, you get the picture.

27. SpiritAndTruth

SpiritAndTruth Puritan Board Freshman

Wow-- is that set to the music of Kool & The Gang?!?!?!

BTW, when in South Florida, do yourself a favor, and go to Bucky's BBQ on Glades Road and Dixie Hwy. You can thank me later. It's phenomenal, with HUGE portions. Owned by the folks who run Houston's Restaurants down here.

28. Carolyn

Carolyn Puritan Board Freshman

:sing: (fanfare smiley)

According to The Food Network/Bon Appetit magazine, the best place in the U.S. for ribs is...

17th St. BBQ in Murphysboro, IL :banana:

I'm homesick today!

29. mbj0680

mbj0680 Puritan Board Freshman

Bbq

Hi Everyone,

Fun thing to do if you all like BBQ is to get involved in your local BBQ association and do some judging for competitions. You don't need lots of experience and they are always looking for judges to help out. Most associations will hold classes and get you certified to be a judge. I took my class this last year and got certified. It was pretty easy. It took a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.

It is tons of fun. During the competitions they are obviously really good cooks so you know you are going to get some good BBQ. Best of all is not only tasting the food, but the tips on how to BBQ are well worth the time spent. These guys are masters at their craft and it is neat to walk away with some tips from them.

Just a thought for some of you BBQers out there.

Thanks,

-Mark

30. PastorFaulk

PastorFaulk Puritan Board Freshman

This discussion is completely unfair. Do you know how hard it is to find any BBQ in japan, let alone good BBQ.

That said, hands down the best- http://www.coopersbbq.com/

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.