Be Glad You Don't Live in Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in South Florida. Depending on the county it's either crazy expensive or affordable. We just bought our house, 3/2, concrete, on a cul-de-sac, awesome neighborhood, tile roof, .38 of an acre, and ten minutes from the beach. We paid $145,000. We are very grateful and have been given much more than we deserve.

Very blessed indeed! Wow!

you've got to be a millionaire, or spend like one if you're driving a new one off the lot.

They used to say in Dallas that your watch was worth more than the equity you had in your car.

I use Coca Cola as my inflation gauge. They cost a dime when I was young (I think you have a few years on me, so you may go back to nickle cokes). I've seen them as expensive as $2.50 in vending machines, although $1.25 is more common.

They used to say in Dallas that your watch was worth more than the equity you had in your car.

I use Coca Cola as my inflation gauge. They cost a dime when I was young (I think you have a few years on me, so you may go back to nickle cokes). I've seen them as expensive as $2.50 in vending machines, although $1.25 is more common.
The small greenish bottle was $0.05 when I was young, but old enough to remember. They had a vending machine in the post office and the coke was a nickel. There was a rack next to it to put the empty bottle in. A tin can attached. If you took the bottle they asked you to deposit two cents in the can.

Then Pepsi came out with a longer bottle for $0.09. But you had to buy that in the corner store. I also remember Camel Regular (no filter) @ $0.25. They were thirty cents when I began smoking them at age 15, as was a tin of Copenhagen when I began dipping, but that was years later. I was about 25 by then.

I also remember when Camels, and most other cigarettes went up to thirty five cents. Then they raised them to $0.37 and if you bought them in a vending machine there were three pennies under the cellophane against the pack. The world was a lot simpler than. Levis jeans $5.00 a pair in the army/navy store down the block from the ironworker's union hall circa 1970.

Except they reduced the quality of the ingredients along with inflating the price. Subsidized corn syrup?

Except they reduced the quality of the ingredients along with inflating the price.

They reduced the carbonation when they came out with the plastic bottles. And they either made them sweeter or reduced the acid content - what they sold after 'New Coke' wasn't the same thing they were selling before. They always marketed 'New Coke' as a corporate mistake, but as a conspiracy theorists, I've concluded it was just a mask to change the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back