Wrong to think another woman is beautiful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyofVision

Puritan Board Freshman
I apologize for making this short, but I am on my lunch break and was wanting to ask this question.

My wife and I were watching a movie last night, Blade Runner, and for some reason a random thought came in my mind. As a man of God, is it wrong to think another woman is beautiful? Not in a lustful or sexual way but just to honestly think she is a beautiful woman made in the image of God. Or for my wife, is it sinful for her to think another man is handsome without any sinful motives?
Be back later on tonight. Thanks in advance!

I apologize for making this short, but I am on my lunch break and was wanting to ask this question.

My wife and I were watching a movie last night, Blade Runner, and for some reason a random thought came in my mind. As a man of God, is it wrong to think another woman is beautiful? Not in a lustful or sexual way but just to honestly think she is a beautiful woman made in the image of God. Or for my wife, is it sinful for her to think another man is handsome without any sinful motives?
Be back later on tonight. Thanks in advance!

Some people have a physical symmetry that is exemplifies the Form of beauty. There is a natural symmetry to some human bodies that we have tended to associate with beauty. And there are people who don't have that symmetry. Compare Gary Busey's face with....well...anyone and you will see what I am talking about.

I probably wouldn't tell my wife that x is beautiful. You don't want your spouse to always have mental comparisons. Sure, some people exemplify the universal "Beauty" in ways that are more obvious than others. It has something to do with the Aristotelian mean. I'm not one of those people (at least not in the face).

Phil 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I would think that noticing a lovely woman (not as a thing) possibly gets a pass, however for me 1 Cor10:23 has to be taken into account as well (no doubt there is a CT somewhere that puts both passages together - check Zondervan!). I can't really say that noticing a random lovely woman is ever edifying, but I know that it can end in lawlessness. Your mileage might vary!

1Cor 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

The Bible mentions that the matriarchs of Israel were very beautiful. It could not possibly be a sin in and of itself to notice feminine beauty: God created it. However, the important thing is what we do with that afterwards.

Though I don't disagree with any of the suggestions above, in my opinion, it is probably safer not to appreciate certain beauties. Guard thy eyes....

Though I don't disagree with any of the suggestions above, in my opinion, it is probably safer not to appreciate certain beauties. Guard thy eyes....
Great advice, great warning. I suspect we (men particularly) avoid much sin by heading this. Women should focus more on avoiding too many shoes.

Great advice, great warning. I suspect we (men particularly) avoid much sin by heading this. Women should focus more on avoiding too many shoes.
What???

A Proverbs 31 woman having too many shoes?

From what I see of the learned, holy women here at PB, too many theology books is more likely the issue.:)

Josh, my husband and I find there are very few choices in movies/television for us to watch together that are edifying. He is vigilant about protecting himself from visual stimulus that is harmfull and I benefit from this as his wife.

Not sure how many more fishing shows I can watch though.

No of course it is not sinful to observe that a member of the opposite sex is physically beautiful. That is not in itself lust. When I meet good looking people (men or women), I notice it. I've never not noticed the good looks of someone I met. I may or may not remark on their appearance to them or someone else, but I still acknowledge it. We observe and inwardly pass judgment on the appearance of everyone we meet (good looking, ugly, or somewhere in between). It would be silly for anyone to deny that.

Lust is more than admiring physical beauty. It involves a strong sexual desire after someone, together with the imagination picturing the fulfillment of that desire. Viewing shows or movies that are sexually suggestive is something a Christian ought to avoid. And unfortunately, there is not much on TV left after you exclude those kind things.

Last edited:
Pastor Sheffield, have you had to address the issue of modest clothing for church attendance?

Josh, my husband and I find there are very few choices in movies/television for us to watch together that are edifying. He is vigilant about protecting himself from visual stimulus that is harmfull and I benefit from this as his wife.

Not sure how many more fishing shows I can watch though.

This is very true. My wife and I have been watching Life Below Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back