Beeke and Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedoc84

Puritan Board Sophomore
This is NOT meant to be another debate thread. I’m simply asking if anyone knows if Joel Beeke has made a defense of Christmas. My google search came up empty.

This is NOT meant to be another debate thread. I’m simply asking if anyone knows if Joel Beeke has made a defense of Christmas. My google search came up empty.
Not to my knowledge but he’s advocated hymn singing. So...

Was your search motivated by this:

He’s advocated it during lectures on family worship. Maybe that is different.

Of course Beeke is from the Dutch Reformed tradition which generally allows for the "five evangelical feast days" viz. Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, Ascension, and Pentecost.

Last edited:
Not sure he would feel the need to since Christmas celebration is in the Church Order of Dort and is the normal practice in his denomination (HRC) and similar denominations (NRC, FRC, PRCA, etc.).

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Beeke has had a line or two of comment on this given the puritan view and his status as expert on it, just like I think he has had on occasion made comment because of the elephant in the room in his church, that monstrous size pipe organ, for the same reason (which I have heard once). But as some have indicated since both are part of his tradition which he accepts, there doesn't seem to be any need that he would have done any sort of paper or defense (if he were rejecting them that would be another thing). Presbyterianism, on the other hand, has defected on both counts and is why you see it addressed; of course its fine for the Dutch to retain their views but never the Presbyterians their original views.....

Even in the EP camp are there not differences in some seeing hymns as being acceptable in family and individual worship and others as believing Psalms only in all 3 worship categories?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Beeke has had a line or two of comment on this given the puritan view and his status as expert on it, just like I think he has had on occasion made comment because of the elephant in the room in his church, that monstrous size pipe organ, for the same reason (which I have heard once). But as some have indicated since both are part of his tradition which he accepts, there doesn't seem to be any need that he would have done any sort of paper or defense (if he were rejecting them that would be another thing). Presbyterianism, on the other hand, has defected on both counts and is why you see it addressed; of course its fine for the Dutch to retain their views but never the Presbyterians their original views.....
Yes, this is why I was asking. Given that he is the president of Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary, and that he is considered an expert on the Puritans and their theology, I figured he would have interacted with their views on this since his own tradition/conviction are at odds with them.

He explicitly says that the church is only to sing the psalms in corporate worship here: tinysa.com/sermon/923171912521
I listened to his excellent sermon “Reforming Worship”. His main point i believe is at 2:42. “Worship is the purpose for why God made you”.
“So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands.” Psalms 63:4.

As a student, I can tell you that he does defend the celebration of Christmas (along with the other five evangelical feast days). BUT, he also is very careful to explain what that looks like. Basically, he's fine with having yearly services which focus on a particular doctrine/theme in the sermon and songs. However, he (and the general tradition of which he is a part) would shy away from Christmas decorations, gifts, advent wreaths, etc.... He covers this in one of the preaching classes here at the seminary.

For churches that don’t preach the birth of Christ on December 25th what are the day’s that you recall His birth was preached upon this past year, just asking.

Have a blessed Lord’s day,

For churches that don’t preach the birth of Christ on December 25th what are the day’s that you recall His birth was preached upon this past year, just asking.

Have a blessed Lord’s day,
The incarnation is a key component of the Gospel, so it is touched upon every Lords day in to one extent or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back