Beeke - Reformed Systematic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I haven't heard about this, but it looks awesome. It's just volume one and it's already up to 1120 pages?!

Yes, he's told us about this in class. He's in the process now of basically turning all of his class/lecture notes into published volumes. For example this book: https://www.crossway.org/books/reformed-preaching-hcj/ is basically his class on Reformed Experiential Preaching. His systematic theology is going to be a multi-volume work from Crossway. I think the goal is to publish about one volume per year until the whole set is complete (I think they're aiming for four volumes if I remember right.)

I could be wrong, but I *think* he has said that it's going to be 7 volumes (!).

It's supposed to be published at the end of next March. What do you want to bet that date gets pushed back (you know how publishers are!)?

UPDATE:

I just got an answer from Dr. Beeke to an email I sent to him, asking about his systematic theology.

He gave me the following publishing schedule. His Reformed Systematic Theology will be in 4 volumes. Here is his publishing schedule:

Volume 1 - March, 2019
Volume 2 - March, 2020
Volume 3 - March, 2021
Volume 4 - July, 2022

Also, as someone linked above, his Reformed Preaching (512 pages) will be published on October 31, 2018.

Start saving your money!

I could be wrong, but I *think* he has said that it's going to be 7 volumes (!).

It's supposed to be published at the end of next March. What do you want to bet that date gets pushed back (you know how publishers are!)?
The editor is father to a young woman at my church, so he worships with us when he's in town. He told me that Dr. Beeke originally wanted to do seven volumes, but they talked him out of it.

The editor is father to a young woman at my church, so he worships with us when he's in town. He told me that Dr. Beeke originally wanted to do seven volumes, but they talked him out of it.

I guess he'll have to settle for being in the company of Bavinck, and not Bernhardus de Moor. I hope he's not too disappointed. ;)

Since Crossway are publishing it, does anyone know if these volumes will be sold as PDFs? I do not mind reading books on a computer and could do with saving the shelf-space.

Since Crossway are publishing it, does anyone know if these volumes will be sold as PDFs? I do not mind reading books on a computer and could do with saving the shelf-space.

It would surprise me if they DIDN'T do some electronic version, like Kindle, with the time and resources being poured into it.

Doesn't seem fair. If an Arminian like Lewis Sperry Chafer was allowed to publish an 8-volume (I think) ST, seems like a Dutch Reformed guy like Beeke should be allowed to do 7! LOL

Last edited:
Doesn't seem fair. If an Arminian like Lewis Sperry Chafer was allowed to publish an 8-volume (I think) ST, seems like a Dutch Reformed guy like Beeke should be allowed to do 7! LOL

According to this picture, it looks like Beeke's set is going to have more content than Chafer, if each volume is around 1200 pages!

I'm going to have a lot of reading to do.

Let's see: Joel Beeke's book on preaching (due at the end of October), Michael Horton's 2-volume set on justification (due at the end of November), and Beeke's first volume of his systematic theology (due at the end of next March).

That's gonna be a lot of eyeball work. . .

More content - both in terms of quality and quantity - than Chafer? That's setting the bar pretty low! LOL

I was only referring to quantity. In terms of quality, I would probably say that a single page of Beeke has more content than maybe the entirety of Chafer's works all put together.

Serious question:

This work is being co-written between a Dutch Reformed fellow and a Reformed Baptist one, no? I wonder how the section(s) on baptism will play out.

Serious question:

This work is being co-written between a Dutch Reformed fellow and a Reformed Baptist one, no? I wonder how the section(s) on baptism will play out.
A good question. That said, from the TOC of at least the first volume on theology proper matters, I am not seeing how sacraments explicitly enter into the stated purpose of the book. I can imagine some implicit prolegomena that may arise, but nothing more.

I've passed along this question to Dr. Beeke. I'll let you know what he says, if he responds.

UPDATE: Here's his answer:

"Good question: we have talked about this only once - and then briefly - so far. Since that is in volume 4, we have plenty of time to discuss this further! I am sure we will work something out, but right now, we are zoned in on completing volume 2 by the due date. But thanks for asking."

Reminder: volume 4 is scheduled to be published in July, 2022.

I can’t believe I must wait almost four years for this to be finished. Is patience really a virtue? Someone please tell me it isn’t...

Consider yourself lucky. As someone noted, Beeke originally wanted his systematic theology to be 7 volumes, but Crossway talked him out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back