Being a Calvinist...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivepointcalvinist

Puritan Board Sophomore
has anyone been treated as a pariah since becoming (or being) a Calvinist? if so how do you respond to people? ive had people say "what religion are you?" or, "youre a what? a Calvinist?" it seems as if everyone is arminian!

:banghead:

The "man on the street" nowadays generally doesn't even know what Calvinism is, much less have an opinion on it, although he may have some ideas about "free will" etc.

what i was thinking was that since arminianism is so prevalent, how do you respond when people find the doctrines of grace offensive or even heretical? i have been castigated by those i am aquainted with because i dont hold to arminian theology

Actually, most of the Arminians & Dispensationalists I know seem to be a good deal more polite than the ones I've heard of from people on this board. I used to tell them I had "designer religion - you know, Calvinism?" Got quite a few laughs, and a few good (but polite) arguments, in which we all learned a lot of theological terms!

I don't normally tell people I'm a calvinist. I'm not ashamed of being Reformed but, when people ask me, I tell them I'm a Christian and sometimes a Presbyterian. When I tell them I'm a Presbyterian, however, I always qualify that I'm of the Bible believing kind.

I worship with Southern Baptists right now and the subject of my Calvinism has never come up in 9 months. I teach adult Sunday School and am reforming them without using terms that would immediately raise hackles and objections. Two weeks ago I was talking about the nature of our faith and that we should never take pride in it as if we were smarter than others for believing. Why do two men hear the same message and one responds? It's not because you're smarter and your salvation is somehow of you. You believed because God gave you faith. They all nodded.

Many need to be more thoroughly Reformed from their man-centered and pietistic tendencies. I won't help them in that direction, however, if I announce: I'm a Calvinist and your'e not and I'm hear to straighten you out!

Except when somebody is assaulting the doctrines of Grace head on, I don't think it is necessary to announce yourself as anything but Christian.

Are we Calvinists or Christians? Do we wave the flag of election and predestination or of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Is it necessary to answer the question of, "What religion are you?" with, "I'm a Calvinist?" I am not ashamed to be a Calvinist. For those believers who are not, I would rather the opportunity to defend Calvinism come from another catalyst besides raising the subject.

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
Are we Calvinists or Christians? Do we wave the flag of election and predestination or of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Is it necessary to answer the question of, "What religion are you?" with, "I'm a Calvinist?" I am not ashamed to be a Calvinist. For those believers who are not, I would rather the opportunity to defend Calvinism come from another catalyst besides raising the subject.

forgive me if im taking this wrong, but i dont think i was implying that i promulgate calvinism from the rooftops. i was curious how people respond when the subject is brought up. if someone says "What religion are you?", i dont respond by "I'm a Calvinist" or immediately start discussing the tenets of calvinism. i have simply been admonished because whe the subject does come up, i disagree with most im aquainted with.

Originally posted by SemperFideles
I don't normally tell people I'm a calvinist. I'm not ashamed of being Reformed but, when people ask me, I tell them I'm a Christian and sometimes a Presbyterian. When I tell them I'm a Presbyterian, however, I always qualify that I'm of the Bible believing kind.

I worship with Southern Baptists right now and the subject of my Calvinism has never come up in 9 months. I teach adult Sunday School and am reforming them without using terms that would immediately raise hackles and objections. Two weeks ago I was talking about the nature of our faith and that we should never take pride in it as if we were smarter than others for believing. Why do two men hear the same message and one responds? It's not because you're smarter and your salvation is somehow of you. You believed because God gave you faith. They all nodded.

Many need to be more thoroughly Reformed from their man-centered and pietistic tendencies. I won't help them in that direction, however, if I announce: I'm a Calvinist and your'e not and I'm hear to straighten you out!

Except when somebody is assaulting the doctrines of Grace head on, I don't think it is necessary to announce yourself as anything but Christian.

I am a member of a Southern Baptist church and I do preach there from time to time. The pastor knows without a doubt that I'm Calvinist and a few of the members have figured it out. It's been okay. A few bumps here and there.

I do not go around telling people I'm a Calvinist either. If the subject is brought up I do not hesitate to state my case. However, I do prefer to say that I hold biblical beliefs rather than Calvinistic beliefs. Most people haven't a clue as to what Calvinism is anyway. Why muddy the waters? Get right down to brass tacks and discuss the Bible.

Originally posted by fivepointcalvinist

forgive me if im taking this wrong, but i dont think i was implying that i promulgate calvinism from the rooftops. i was curious how people respond when the subject is brought up. if someone says "What religion are you?", i dont respond by "I'm a Calvinist" or immediately start discussing the tenets of calvinism. i have simply been admonished because whe the subject does come up, i disagree with most im aquainted with.

I didn't mean to critique you personally, but this topic has come up in other places lately. I don't scream "Calvinism" from the rooftops either, although I will certainly defend God's sovereignty when the discussion calls for it. That said, it is a tempting for Calvinists to steer the conversaton if we are not careful. There is some truth to Calvinists being smug. That comes from being convinced of the truth beyond all reason. It is an attitude we need to be careful of adopting. Not directed to you personally, just a general statement.

Yes I was removed from our first Church as a relatively new Christian for being a calvinist. It was hard because I lost most my old relationships when I became a Christian and found new friendships in this Church but they don't speak to me anymore when I was told to leave for my calvinism. Anyways that answers the first part of your question the second thing is keep them in the scripture and away from their personal philosophy. Know your Bible backward and forward and keep answering them from Scripture. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by SemperFideles

:up::up:

This is the proper way to introduce people to the Reformed faith. I'm not saying you are doing something wrong, fivepointcalvinist, I'm just appaulading SemperFideles' method.

That said, it is a tempting for Calvinists to steer the conversaton if we are not careful. There is some truth to Calvinists being smug. That comes from being convinced of the truth beyond all reason. It is an attitude we need to be careful of adopting. Not directed to you personally, just a general statement.

i agree. sometimes i may come across as that and that may be something i need to work on. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back