Being happy at the fall of others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Is it always bad to be happy when an evil person falls?

Or to wish an evil person well?

Is it always a sin to think, "I hope they die."

Does this extend to the death of dictators and false teachers and persecutors?

Some historical examples: Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Osama, King Eglun, Goliath, Haman?

Does this extend to the death of dictators and false teachers and persecutors?

Some historical examples: Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Osama, King Eglun, Goliath, Haman?
Why not pray aright that God's will be such that the suffering brought about by these men be ended according to the will of God? We can rightfully rejoice that the suffering these men brought upon others is now ended by their death, but to be happy about the death of any human being made in the image of God does not seem appropriate.

I was a soldier in Vietnam, just as were those that lawfully hunted down and killed Osama bin Laden. I did my duty and my conscience was clear that the ending of the lives of my enemy was lawful. Was I happy to see the dead bodies of young men, some of whom had pictures of family in their pockets?

May it never be. Rather I was grieved and remain so to this day about the state of humanity that seems to have no end to devising evils that often requires others to mete out the ultimate act of lawful justice.

Being united with Christ, we pray as he prays in the Psalms, including for God’s vengeance and justice on his (and therefore his people’s) enemies. The saints will rejoice to see that final day of retribution come. But that day is all about God’s glory and the church, so I think we have to have our minds trained by the Psalms and other parts of Scripture so we don’t think amiss about the present destructions of the wicked. I think it is right to give thanks and glory to God when we see wicked men brought to justice in this life- especially if they’ve been persecutors of Christ (as they all are or would be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back