Ben Franklin a Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbcbob

Puritan Board Graduate
On another post someone wrote:

"Franklin was not not a Christian." Like I said, despite the caricatures of him in history, and for all his faults, he may not have been very orthodox, but he was a Christian. As a young man he fell into Deism, late in life in his autobiography, he wrote that at 26 years old he became "thoroughly a Deist." Many people take this recollection of Franklin's as the end all of end all's, and yet pay no attention to what happened in his life after he was 26 years old. Later, through the Grace of God and His use of G. Whitefield in Franklin's life, Franklin returned to the faith.

However Franklin said:
“Mr. Whitefield used, indeed, to pray for my conversion, but he never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard. Ours was a mere civil friendship, sincere on both sides, and lasted to his death.”- Ben Franklin, Autobiography in Republic of Reason p.38

And among the many other evidences he gave us in his writings of his unbelief there is this one:

“Faith is recommended as a Means of producing Morality … Thus Faith would be a Means of producing Morality, and Morality of Salvation. But that from such Faith alone Salvation may be expected, appears to me to be neither a Christian Doctrine nor a reasonable one.”
– Ben Franklin, Dialogue in Writings, 256

The mythology and aura that surrounds many of the "Founding Fathers" lives on despite copious writings, in their own hand, to dispel such paterology.

Last edited:
I did a project on Franklin for an Early American Lit class. From everything I read of his, I would say he was not a believer (although I don't pretend to know for sure). I can see why some would think he was - he had some very complimentary things to say about Whitfield, certainly and he often spoke positively about faith and Christianity. However, he never made a public profession.

Perhaps Mr. Franklin was very much like Agrippa in Acts 26:

Now as he thus made his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, "Paul, you are beside yourself! Much learning is driving you mad!" 25 But he said, "I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak the words of truth and reason. 26 "For the king, before whom I also speak freely, knows these things; for I am convinced that none of these things escapes his attention, since this thing was not done in a corner. 27 "King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you do believe." 28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You almost persuade me to become a Christian." 29 And Paul said, "I would to God that not only you, but also all who hear me today, might become both almost and altogether such as I am, except for these chains." 30 When he had said these things, the king stood up, as well as the governor and Bernice and those who sat with them; 31 and when they had gone aside, they talked among themselves, saying, "This man is doing nothing deserving of death or chains." 32 Then Agrippa said to Festus, "This man might have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar."

Warm to the gospel, friendly to the one who declares it, but uncoverted nonetheless. I wonder how many Agrippas and Franklins we have in our pews. May our prayers be that God would give them hearts to believe, and may we never be content with mere "warmness" to the gospel!

Warm to the gospel, friendly to the one who declares it, but uncoverted nonetheless. I wonder how many Agrippas and Franklins we have in our pews. May our prayers be that God would give them hearts to believe, and may we never be content with mere "warmness" to the gospel!

That is so sadly true Tim. How awful to be in such close proximity to truth and not embrace it!

Further words of Franklin:

“Your great Master though’t much less of these outward Appearances and Professions than many of his modern Disciples. He prefer’d the Doers of the Word to the meer (sic) Hearers … and those who gave Food to the hungry, Drink to the Thirsty, Raiment to the Naked, Entertainment to the Stranger, and Relief to the Sick, &c. though’ they never heard of his Name, he declares shall in the last Day be accepted, when those who cry Lord, Lord; who value themselves on their Faith though’ great enough to perform Miracles but have neglected good Works shall be rejected.”
June 6, 1753 Letter to Joseph Huey in Writings, p. 476

Speaking of Jesus Franklin confessed to having:
… some doubts as to his divinity; though it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble. I see no harm, however, in its being believed, if that belief has the good consequence, as probable it has, of making his doctrines more respected and better observed …”
March 9, 1790 letter to Ezra Stiles in Republic of Reason, p.42

Bob, how "modern" and common his thinking was/is! Many today would profess the same sort of thing. Very sad indeed.

Bob, how "modern" and common his thinking was/is! Many today would profess the same sort of thing. Very sad indeed.

Indeed. Ben Franklin was actually my main spiritual mentor for more than 25 years, until God quietly pinned me against the wall and ordered me to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back