Benedict Pictet on the sin of self-murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Self-murder is also forbidden [in the sixth commandment], by which a man sins against God, himself, his family, the commonwealth, and the church.

Benedict Pictet, Christian Theology, trans. Frederick Reyroux (1696; London, 1834), 8.8, p. 395.

He also condemned the practice of duelling:

Duels also are here forbidden, which no plea can render lawful; not the defence of empty honour; not the infliction of vengeance; not the clearing one’s self from an accusation.

Benedict Pictet, Christian Theology, trans. Frederick Reyroux (1696; London, 1834), 8.8, p. 395.

If duels are forbidden, what am I supposed to do when a man takes off one of his gloves and slaps me with it?

Self-murder is also forbidden [in the sixth commandment], by which a man sins against God, himself, his family, the commonwealth, and the church.

I like how he lists that the person who sins by suicide sins against his family, common-wealth and church as well. He deprives others of his help and burdens them in his death. Suicide is often an extreme form of selfishness if we believe that we live for others besides ourselves.

I think we should take into account the fragility of the brain due to a fallen creation. Just as we have an assortment of diseases such as heart disease, endocrine disease, lung disease etc we also have brain disease both in brain matter and in chemical imbalance. There are people including God's people who suffer greatly in the area of mental disease. We sometimes judge people for not being more mentally strong when God should be their strength. However, that type of thinking would fail to acknowledge diseases of the brain. We don't fail to see disease in the heart or lungs or the endocrine system etc because those organs do not have the duel function of physical function and intellectual function. The fall led to not only spiritual death but also to physical disease of the whole body and finally to physical death. So while suicide is a sin, we do not die naturally or through accidental events without sin which we have not asked for forgiveness for that day. Yes, suicide is selfish but which sin isn't? The majority of our sin isn't performed for the benefit of others. I think God's command of being a member of a church and being faithful to that membership will help with those who suffer mentally and those who don't suffer in this manner can help through love and prayer and active participation in their lives. A mentally ill Christian knows suicide is a sin, but this Christian doesn't always have the chemical makeup to seek help anymore than a person with a heart disease has the ability to seek help after they are laying on the floor with a massive heart attack.

There was more at stake in duels. Historical context has a play in it also.
I think so too. Issuing the challenge to a duel for your honor or ego is one thing. Ridiculously vain in most circumstances and times. Though I would consider that maybe it could be done to preserve the life and limbs of loved ones. I’m not sure. Accepting an invitation to one is another matter altogether. If refusing it will bring certain calamity to yourself or loved ones it becomes a self defense or just war consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back