Benny Hinn on Nightline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from an Assemblies of God church, seeing people "slain in the Spirit" is quite common. I'm on the fence as to whether it's real or not, but after seeing Benny Hinn for the first time in those videos, I am no longer surprised that everyone brushes it off as unbiblical garbage. It's like watching a magician.

Perhaps we should open another thread to discuss this question. It seems there would be serious implications to maintaining this understanding of slain in the spirit. I am guessing most, if not all, would find this unscriptual and non-confessional.

Perhaps. But I learned as a charismatic attending Westminster Seminary in the 70s that it is difficult for people to divorce their views of scriptural teaching on certain practices from their experience with and observation of people who engage in such practices. At Westminster, I found that those who were vehemently and unalterably opposed to continuationism had usually had some exposure to the worst excesses of charis-mania at some point, while those who were willing to at least entertain and discuss the possibility that there might be some validity to the continuation of the gifts had had some exposure to charismatic groups where they could see God at work in the lives of the people.

I'm just suggesting that those of us who have seen Benny Hinn on TV will need to recognize that this will prejudice us against any sort of activity of the Spirit that results in people falling over, and we'll need to consciously set aside those prejudices and look at the real issue. I.e., it has nothing to do with flamboyance, it has nothing to do with meetings being whipped into a frenzy, it has nothing to do with the fact that in the cases we've observed we may not have seen any evidence of God at work in the lives of those "slain". We need to focus strictly on the question, can there be any scriptural basis at all for the Spirit of God coming upon people in such a way that they fall over, and as a separate but related question, any basis for prayer with laying on of hands (which can be done without pushing people over) that results in such phenomena.

Coming from an Assemblies of God church, seeing people "slain in the Spirit" is quite common. I'm on the fence as to whether it's real or not, but after seeing Benny Hinn for the first time in those videos, I am no longer surprised that everyone brushes it off as unbiblical garbage. It's like watching a magician.

Perhaps we should open another thread to discuss this question. It seems there would be serious implications to maintaining this understanding of slain in the spirit. I am guessing most, if not all, would find this unscriptual and non-confessional.

Perhaps. But I learned as a charismatic attending Westminster Seminary in the 70s that it is difficult for people to divorce their views of scriptural teaching on certain practices from their experience with and observation of people who engage in such practices. At Westminster, I found that those who were vehemently and unalterably opposed to continuationism had usually had some exposure to the worst excesses of charis-mania at some point, while those who were willing to at least entertain and discuss the possibility that there might be some validity to the continuation of the gifts had had some exposure to charismatic groups where they could see God at work in the lives of the people.

I'm just suggesting that those of us who have seen Benny Hinn on TV will need to recognize that this will prejudice us against any sort of activity of the Spirit that results in people falling over, and we'll need to consciously set aside those prejudices and look at the real issue. I.e., it has nothing to do with flamboyance, it has nothing to do with meetings being whipped into a frenzy, it has nothing to do with the fact that in the cases we've observed we may not have seen any evidence of God at work in the lives of those "slain". We need to focus strictly on the question, can there be any scriptural basis at all for the Spirit of God coming upon people in such a way that they fall over, and as a separate but related question, any basis for prayer with laying on of hands (which can be done without pushing people over) that results in such phenomena.
Agreed. I'm about to go to bed, but if somebody wants to open a thread on this, I'd be interested to see where it goes.

It's a futile endeavor in my humble opinion. Most charismatics at lay level don't give a rip about theology and those at teaching levels can't adequately give a critique/defense of "slain in the Spirit." It might not be the same in the States, but it is definitely the case in Singapore.

Dr. Melvin Ho from Azusa Theology College in Amsterdam describes such events as "human responses to the Spirit's work," which because it is a human response, cannot be found to be either right or wrong. I sat under him in my Pneumatology class and it was awfully trying.

Ask other pastors or leaders and they will simply shrug or smile sheepishly. At the very bottom of the issue is this, that Pentecostals don't have a doctrine like Sola Scriptura to maintain. Anything goes, even rolling on the ground and howling like dogs.

I heard this interview on Wretched Radio a couple of days ago.The interesting part was the publisher trying to wreck the interview by coughing and interrupting. :doh:

I'll help you out. "slain in the spirit" is not real and certainly not biblical. And for the record I was saved and heavily involved in a Pentecostal church for a good 6 years before God graciously opened my eyes, so I am not speaking for a position of unfamiliarity.

It's a futile endeavor in my humble opinion. Most charismatics at lay level don't give a rip about theology and those at teaching levels can't adequately give a critique/defense of "slain in the Spirit." It might not be the same in the States, but it is definitely the case in Singapore.

Dr. Melvin Ho from Azusa Theology College in Amsterdam describes such events as "human responses to the Spirit's work," which because it is a human response, cannot be found to be either right or wrong. I sat under him in my Pneumatology class and it was awfully trying.

Ask other pastors or leaders and they will simply shrug or smile sheepishly. At the very bottom of the issue is this, that Pentecostals don't have a doctrine like Sola Scriptura to maintain. Anything goes, even rolling on the ground and howling like dogs.

My whole point in my earlier post is: None of this is relevant. All that matters is what scripture teaches on the subject. To argue that a practice is wrong because teachers who advocate it are lousy theologians or some people who practice it also bark like dogs, is like arguing that the regulative principle is wrong because worship services based on it seem cold and lifeless compared to those that aren't based on it.

Andrew,

Would you mind elaborating a bit on your experiences with "slain in the spirit?"

Also, probably twelve years ago now, I briefly attended a Charismatic high school (my parents transferred me back to public school after learning of 3-hour special "revival" chapel services. I was raised Southern Baptist, so I was an outsider to any of the typical Pentacostal antics. Anyway, I was "slain in the spirit" during a service there, and to this day I don't know exactly what to make of the experience.

Given the fact that I don't see it in Scripture, but literally felt physical sensations (dizziness, total weakness, and a tingly feeling like my whole body had fallen asleep), I wonder if it was demonic. And if it was demonic, what is the purpose of this deception?

My whole point in my earlier post is: None of this is relevant. All that matters is what scripture teaches on the subject. To argue that a practice is wrong because teachers who advocate it are lousy theologians or some people who practice it also bark like dogs, is like arguing that the regulative principle is wrong because worship services based on it seem cold and lifeless compared to those that aren't based on it.

It was not my intention to argue those things you've mentioned. I do agree with you that there is zero scriptural teaching on this. Which is why I said that the bottom line is that they have nothing like Sola Scriptura, so having no biblical mandate would not stop them.

Andrew,

Would you mind elaborating a bit on your experiences with "slain in the spirit?"

Also, probably twelve years ago now, I briefly attended a Charismatic high school (my parents transferred me back to public school after learning of 3-hour special "revival" chapel services. I was raised Southern Baptist, so I was an outsider to any of the typical Pentacostal antics. Anyway, I was "slain in the spirit" during a service there, and to this day I don't know exactly what to make of the experience.

Given the fact that I don't see it in Scripture, but literally felt physical sensations (dizziness, total weakness, and a tingly feeling like my whole body had fallen asleep), I wonder if it was demonic. And if it was demonic, what is the purpose of this deception?

Steve,
My experiences were I saw many people prayed for and "slain", I personally was "slain" on occasion, and at times people I prayed for were "slain".
You mentioned demonic activity, and I won't rule that out 100%, but I honestly don't believe that is the case most of the time. For example, I would say the majority of charismatic/pentecostal churches believe in and participate in being "slain in the spirit" or some derivitive, but I don't neccessarily think they are dabbling in satanism. Instead, I believe they are simply misguided and/or ignorant. I know this was certainly the case with myself. Since being slain has been a tradition of charismatic/pentecostal churches, most just do it out of that's what they see and know. For example, if a person attends a pentecostal church a few times and at the end of each service several people are prayed for and "slain", then eventually that person will come to recognize this behavior as normal for that situation and they will eventually probably participate. I would say it is much more a psychological issue than anything else. People can build up things in their mind to where their body actually acts in weird ways because of what they've built up in their head. Think of teen girls who faint when they see their pop music idol in person. Or think of some forms of hypnotism, where the mind is not completely in touch with reality of what the body is doing. Sorry, others could probably explain these psychological phenomena better than I, but I hope you are at least getting an idea.

That is mostly my personal experience and belief, but some may not value my opinion worth anything so instead let us go to something with real authority, that being the Holy Scriptures. I find absolutely no biblical basis for being "slain in the spirit". Some will cite verses such as Matt 28:4 which states, "And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men." but clearly the guards here were unbelievers who fell in great fear of the risen Lord. There are a couple other verses people cite where believers do fall but each time my understanding is the people are conscious and willingly fall. Also they generally fall on their faces in scripture out of a type of reverence rather than a type of rest.

THis was my very brief summary but if you have more specific questions, I will do my best to answer.

I attended Benny Hinn's church for a few weeks in 1992. Not the point just thought I'd throw it out there. :D

As an example of my recent experiences with "slain in the spirit." The church I was a member brought in a revivalist. The first year he came out only those who were from a pentecostal background fell. There were only two. There were more former pentecostals but they were "catchers" since they "knew" what was going to happen. Over 30 people had the revivalist lay hands on them and he was pushing on their heads. Like I said, only two fell. The following weeks during Bible study this was addressed.

The following year again comes the revivalist. Again the laying of hands however this time almost everyone fell. The ones who did not had no frame of reference but the most interesting fact was they were also the first ones the revivalist laid hands on. One of these ladies was "slain in the spirit" as she helped catch another. :think:

During the year there was this yearning to have the pastor lay hands on people in order that the "slayings" would continue which they did. One woman had a strange experience in that she began to flop around like a fish out of water. She was a large woman and her "slaying" was violent and she hurt a few people around her. One of the people was an elderly female "reverend" who eventually had to go to physical therapy because of the incident. There were no more laying of hands after that. The reason given was that the pastor was inexperienced and could not wield the "spirit" correctly.

Year three...no revivalist...no laying of hands...no one falling...no "slaying"... Reason? The church's insurance company cancelled our policy because of the previous incident. Now a preacher was brought in but not to "slay" anyone but to preach a revival.

I was "slain" before but I was also coaxed into just relaxing and allowing myself to fall back. I quit believing in charasmania long before God opened my eyes to the DoG.

I doubt if R.C. Sproul or John MacArthur have a publicist accompany them on interviews to step in when things get too hot! This man and his ministry truly grieve my heart.

Here's a great quote from Marrow Man from one of the threads Ewen posted:

What's always amazed with with Benny Hinn, even when he whips off the Nairu jacket and knocks people over with that, is that no matter how many people fall down or how much excitement takes place, the camera man (the one standing near him with the portable unit) never ever falls down.

Yes, and there are always blankets at such meetings, used to protect the modesty of women when they are slain.

Imagine the work of the Spirit that outrages the modesty of women.

I can't remember who it was who gave this observation. :up:

Golden Statue

Benny-Hinn--9381.jpg

I'd rather listen to an interview and testimony of Nebechadnezzer than Benny Hinn.
The influence of this man to fleece the gullible and needy masses in the USA is one thing. When he goes to third world countries and preys upon the destitute with his false doctrines it is abominable.
When psychology is confused with the Holy Spirit the results are deceptive and devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back