Berkhof vs Bavinck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if my question sounds a little basic but I was wondering what specific benefits one gets from reading Bavinck AFTER reading Berkhof. It seems to me Berkhof helpfully summarises Bavinck, is slightly more up to date in theological discussions (eg, interaction with Karl Bath) etc. Berkhof also used Vos' Biblical theology etc. So what is the specific advantage in reading Bavinck? Thank you.

Besides the difference in detail you get from a one volume ST and a four volume ST (yes, yes RD), I find Bavinck's writing to be devotional. I often reference Berkhof if I want something basic and succinct, but go to Bavinck for greater depth and joy of reading. Bavinck's descriptions make the theology ripe for application.

Berkhof is strictly systematic in that he is assuming the results of exegetical theology and applying them systematically to doctrinal issues and contrasting one formulation with another. He wrote separately on the history of doctrine. Bavinck includes more philosophical and historical methodology in the progress from exegesis to systematics, together with the way doctrines function co-operatively within the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back