Bernardinus de Moor's Commentarius Perpetuus

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new translation project is underway, to completely render the largest Protestant Scholastic system of theology from Latin into English. And this one will be posted in pieces online as it progresses, so we don't have to wait 20 years to begin enjoying.

Excellent! I look forward to following as it progresses.

I was thinking that with a Brakel and Turretin already in English, and van Mastricht in process, once this is done we really will have a representative sample of the best of Reformed Orthodoxy conveniently accessible.

I was thinking that with a Brakel and Turretin already in English, and van Mastricht in process, once this is done we really will have a representative sample of the best of Reformed Orthodoxy conveniently accessible.

It would be nice to think so, but not really without Voet or the Synopsis.

I'm not sure how Voet slipped my memory, since Vos calls him perhaps the "ablest, most learned, and most influential of all Calvinistic divines" of that time.

Voet, at least the earliest material would be of interest to Westminster studies; two early works figure prominently in the assembly's debate over congregationalism/presbyterianism in their "grand debate".

Ditto Zanchi; very very prolifically cited by the Puritans. The Opera in full is now online; go Google or easier for the right links use PRDL.org. And let me plug that super valuable resource (PRDL). Has made my job easier certainly when track bibliographical sources and citations.

It is about time the great Scottish works bound up in Latin were translated; like Rutherford's 3 Latin works; Brown of Wamphray (against the Anti Sabbatarians), Boyd on Ephesians (terribly inaccessible in the Latin and as arranged, so it may be buried forever through the fault of the author's approach), and Calderwood's Altare Damascenum.

If we're talking about things overdue for translation, it seems that Beza would be towards the top of the pile.

A new translation project is underway, to completely render the largest Protestant Scholastic system of theology from Latin into English. And this one will be posted in pieces online as it progresses, so we don't have to wait 20 years to begin enjoying.

Bernardinus De Moor | Translation of his Continuous Commentary
Wondering what the intellectual property issues are with this effort. I subscribed to the RSS feed and have been keeping a MS Word version of the posts as they come out. Now up to 93 pages at the latest Chapter 1:12 post. Does he intend to publish this as a book or are the translations being released into the public domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back