Best Apologetics Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right, Steven. I have read a few of his stuff. When he makes a mistake its hard to miss. However, I picked up his book on Aquinas (Summa of Summa) because I do not want to misrepresent that school of thoughts. Plus, the footnotes can be awesome (or annoying) at times. Here is his best argument for the existene of God:

P1: There is the music of J.S. Bach.
Therefore, there is a God.

You either get this one or you don't!

[Edited on 3--18-06 by Draught Horse]

I am appreciating all the good suggestions for the best apologetic books.

How many of you guys are familiar with Biblical Worldview Magazine...and does any one have any input on other Worldview magazines that you can recommend?

: )

True

You want to read a good description on Aquinas, read Chesterton's work. Catholic too, yes, but masterful.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
That's right, Steven. I have read a few of his stuff. When he makes a mistake its hard to miss. However, I picked up his book on Aquinas (Summa of Summa) because I do not want to misrepresent that school of thoughts. Plus, the footnotes can be awesome (or annoying) at times. Here is his best argument for the existene of God:

P1: There is the music of J.S. Bach.
Therefore, there is a God.

You either get this one or you don't!

[Edited on 3--18-06 by Draught Horse]

[Edited on 3-18-2006 by caddy]

1. Bahnsens book "Always Ready" is a great book.

2. Richard Pratt has a book "Every Thought Captive: A Study Manual for the Defense of Christian Truth"

3. Moreland and Craig have a good book (although more textbookish) called "Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview"

I have Bashnsen's book on order, and J.M. Frame's as well.

Anybody here read Frame's The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God

I know them by name, and have heard many good things about them but have not read any of their work, save some of their stuff on the net.

Originally posted by fivepointcalvinist

2. Richard Pratt has a book "Every Thought Captive: A Study Manual for the Defense of Christian Truth"

3. Moreland and Craig have a good book (although more textbookish) called "Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview"

Originally posted by caddy
I am appreciating all the good suggestions for the best apologetic books.

How many of you guys are familiar with Biblical Worldview Magazine...and does any one have any input on other Worldview magazines that you can recommend?

Not me, but I get Worldmagazine, it's pretty good for keep up with the news.

[Edited on 3-18-2006 by Civbert]

Originally posted by caddy
I have Bashnsen's book on order, and J.M. Frame's as well.

Anybody here read Frame's The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God

I know them by name, and have heard many good things about them but have not read any of their work, save some of their stuff on the net.

Originally posted by fivepointcalvinist

1. Always Ready is a good small arm .45 to carry with you.
3. Some of Moreland/Craig is good. There logic chapter is awesome, but the other's are touch and go.

---------------------------
Biblical Worldview is good. I read it.
I have benefitted tremendously from Frame's DKG.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
The Standard Bearer

The essay by Michael Butler on Transcendental Arguments is ten times worth the price of the book, and the other stuff in the book is superb.

Also, Ryan, you would love the article by Kevin Clauson in this book.

I agree. Michael did a fabulous job clearing up many misconceptions often voiced on the Van Til List.

Ron

Originally posted by Paul manata
if you like a particular method you've learned from a book, then go over to the internet infidels site, or the infidel guy site and try your arguments out on real people who deny and challenge the faith. See if the proof is in the pudding.

Paul - I do a bit of "discussion" over on the Internet Infidel's site - who are you there?

-JD

Originally posted by matthew11v25

I can.

Gertsner may be a brilliant historian or theologian, but not a philosopher and apologist.

As far as Geisler goes, if you want weak, pat answers to give unsuspecting, immature, critics and cult members; then get the book. I, for one, think it is disrespectful to immage bearers to use arguments that are extremely poor and fallacious just because it can trap them.

So, if you think the ends justify the means, then use the arguments. But don't say I didn't warn you when you try them on someone philospphically sophisticated and you get embarrassed.

Btw, I hope I didn't sound too partisan:)

This is true Paul (of me atleast). I have always stayed with the high school atheist. Now that I am in college, I begun to deal with a different animal. So what would you recommend for resources?

The resources "draught horse" gave in his first post are good. Before I read any books I listened to probably 20 different tape series on apologetics by Greg Bahnsen (available at cmfnow.com).

I think this tip is valuable (if you are interested in apologetics): Learn your method (hopefully presupp), then *use* it. Talk to friends, teachers, atheists on line, etc. I'm convinced that real world interaction is one of the most important things to do. Basically, there is nothing new under the sun, so, over time, you're gonna hear almost anything that's out there. Learn how to think and reason presuppositionaly, then apply that method to the new arguments you hear. After time, you'll be very familar with almost anything someone can throw at you. This will help you be more fluent and also you'll, more often than not, be able to give fellow Christians and/or non-Christians a very good answer on the spot. This is better than saying: "Oh, let me check my Josh Mcdowell book and I'll get back to you."

:2cents:

I think Paul M. is right when he encourages Christians to think and reason (presupossitionally). Bahsnen was (still is) a great teacher to learn apologetics from. Think about it; all people engage in philosophical thought whether they observe themselves doing it or not. We all have a worldview and the job of the apologist is not just to point out inconsistencies in other worldviews, but to demonstrate the coherency in our own. I have an aquaintance who frequently used incoherent philosophical arguments that i never picked up on until i watched bahnsens dvd training set. after learning the basics of philosophical thought (my roots were in a pentecostal church where thinking is forbidden) via presuppossitional apologetics, i was able to point out the inconsistencies in this aquaintances reasonings which forced him to reevaluate his arguments (he never discusses philosophy with me anymore).

Anybody recommend a good introductory Logic book, and then a more advanced book on Logic after that?

I am just getting into apologetics, and I think I should read up on various books from the different methods. That being said, what do you guys think of some of the following books:....

-Classical Readings in Christian Apologetics by L. Russ Bush
-Apologetics to the Glory of God: An Introduction by John M. Frame
-Unapologetic Apologetics: Meeting the Challenges of Theological Studies by William A. Dembski
-Come, Let Us Reason: An Introduction to Logical Thinking Norman L. Geisler
-Handbook of Christian Apologetics: Hundreds of Answers to Crucial Questions by Peter Kreeft
-Love Your God With All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul by James Porter Moreland
-Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity by James Porter Moreland
-A History of Apologetics by Avery Dulles
-The Doctrine of The Knowledge of God by John Frame
-Reasonable Faith: Christian Truth and Apologetics by William Lane Craig
-Without a Doubt: Answering the 20 Toughest Faith Questions by Ronald Nash
-The New Absolutes William D. Watkins

-The Gagging of God by D. A. Carson
-Life's Ultimate Questions by Dr. Ronald H. Nash

I left out the books by Van Til and Bahnsen because I knew most of you would approve...

[Edited on 5-4-2006 by caleb_woodrow]

I finished Routledge's Philosophy of Religion by Keith Yandell the other day and would have to recommend it.

He has a pretty good discussion on the problem of evil and critiques Aquinas five ways (not sure if his critique is very comprehensive) but also gives a 25 or so step proof for the existence of God (cosmological followed by teleological argument). His discussion of the different forms of religious pluralism is helpful. I really like his discussion of religious experience and how that can be construed as evidence. Most of his book is very detailed in its argumentation.

What sets his book apart is that he deals with Advaita Vedanta Hinduism, Jainism, and Theravada Buddhism. I know Bahnsen deals with the Eastern religions, but Yandell seemed to give more detailed criticisms. The first few chapters introduces the different religions. He gives blistering critiques of A.V. Hinduism and Theravada Buddhism. He also discusses enlightenment religious experiences associated with these (this is a different chapter from the discussions on Christian religious experience) and concludes that it cannot be construed as evidence, unlike those experiences for the Abrahamic religions.

Drawbacks = the main drawback was his discussion of free will (He is a libertarian).

Originally posted by caleb_woodrow

<snipped>

-Without a Doubt: Answering the 20 Toughest Faith Questions by Ronald Nash
[Edited on 5-4-2006 by caleb_woodrow]

Actually Nash wrote the foreword only. This excellent book is by Kenneth Samples, who I would recommend highly, having heard him speak and having read this book.

I would recommend Gordon Clark's Intro to Christian Philosophy.

I post in the hope that this doesn't get deleted or censored like my thread critical of John Frame and his defense of Norm Shepherd and FV which mysteriously disappeared from these boards :tombstone:

[Edited on 5-5-2006 by Magma2]

Originally posted by Magma2

I post in the hope that this doesn't get deleted or censored like my thread critical of John Frame and his defense of Norm Shepherd and FV which mysteriously disappeared from these boards :tombstone:

:ditto:

Clark's little book "Logic" is also very good. There's also a workbook to help you out. Clark's book may be small, but it packs a lot - and covers tradition Aristotelean logic and logical forms. He also doesn't make assumptions regarding logic rules of inference - but makes you really think about what's going on.

The Euler's diagram is invaluable (I have not seen it in any modern logic text) and really helps you get to the heart of logical "forms" which so few seem to understand. The traditional square of logic is a great aid to seeing what kinds of inferences are valid.

It doesn't hurt to read other text's on logic, but get Clark's "Logic" just to make sure you are well grounded.

[Edited on 5-5-2006 by Civbert]

Originally posted by Civbert
Originally posted by Magma2

:ditto:

Clark's little book "Logic" is also very good.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I think Stephen Charnock's "The Existence and Attributes of God" is superb.
We published some of Jonathan Edwards' apologetic in the early chapters of "Our Great and Glorious God." His statement that the greatest evidence for the existence of God is the impossibility that He does not exist!

And Gerstner's apologetic is exactly the same as Edwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back