Best audio Bibles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Since I am going back to school (its almost an hour commute Downtown through driving, lightrail and then walking), and will be doing some field experience at a school at some point, I am looking for a decent audio Bible. I will certainly be having less time for a lot things and I do not want my private devotions to suffer (I need better habits in this anyway, so I could use some prayers) Preferably one that one can download (or already an mp3 players itself) that you can navigate through, at least book/chapter wise.
I had one by a now defunct company that just randomly stopped working.
Anybody know anything about the Word of Promise audio?

Since I am going back to school (its almost an hour commute Downtown through driving, lightrail and then walking), and will be doing some field experience at a school at some point, I am looking for a decent audio Bible. I will certainly be having less time for a lot things and I do not want my private devotions to suffer (I need better habits in this anyway, so I could use some prayers) Preferably one that one can download (or already an mp3 players itself) that you can navigate through, at least book/chapter wise.
I had one by a now defunct company that just randomly stopped working.
Anybody know anything about the Word of Promise audio?

Trent, Word of Promise is awesome. My favorite audios are that and The Bible Experience.

WOP is NKJV.
TBE is TNIV.

Both dramatized. Both with real actors. Good sound. Good primary narrators.

Memorizing isn’t the best with either as both will leave out phrases like “he said” and just have the actor/actress say the line.

In TBE, Levar Burton plays John the apostle. It’s pretty hard not to enjoy Geordi Laforge narrating the Gospel Of John l, 1-3 John & Revelation.

I've always liked Alexander Scourby. Don't no if this is a format you could use.

Do you have a CD player in your car? If so I have the Scourby reading on CDs. I would be happy to send them to you. It's KJV. He also did an RSV recording which, if I'm not mistaken, almost an ESV. Sort of. But I only have the KJV.

Ed

Trent, Word of Promise is awesome. My favorite audios are that and The Bible Experience.

WOP is NKJV.
TBE is TNIV.

Both dramatized. Both with real actors. Good sound. Good primary narrators.

Memorizing isn’t the best with either as both will leave out phrases like “he said” and just have the actor/actress say the line.

In TBE, Levar Burton plays John the apostle. It’s pretty hard not to enjoy Geordi Laforge narrating the Gospel Of John l, 1-3 John & Revelation.
Is the format navigable (i.e. where you left off in the chapter, book, .?)

Do you have a CD player in your car? If so I have the Scourby reading on CDs. I would be happy to send them to you. It's KJV. He also did an RSV recording which, if I'm not mistaken, almost an ESV. Sort of. But I only have the KJV.

Ed
I do. I think I have an actual portable CD player too. I need to figure out how to work that one.

My MIL ordered us a Bible a few years ago..some big desktop Bible. Anyways, the shipping kept getting delayed. I think there was an issue with printing. So to tide us over, the company sent us the WOP Bible set on CD. It's all I have experience with, but I've enjoyed listening to it.

I do. I think I have an actual portable CD player too. I need to figure out how to work that one.

Hi Trent,

If you would like me to send them to you, just send me a private message with your US mailing address. I'd be happy to find them a good home.

This is a no-nonsense, plain reading of the Bible: one guy reading the entire New Testament. I find it works for me, as it's a fast pace (closer to what I would read the Bible at) and I don't like the dramatized versions. It's also free. It's a bit of an odd translation choice, being the ASV, and I've never used the ASV besides this audiobook really. http://www.freeasv.org

This is a no-nonsense, plain reading of the Bible: one guy reading the entire New Testament. I find it works for me, as it's a fast pace (closer to what I would read the Bible at) and I don't like the dramatized versions. It's also free. It's a bit of an odd translation choice, being the ASV, and I've never used the ASV besides this audiobook really. http://www.freeasv.org

It was probably chosen because he didn't want to use the KJV for some reason. The ASV is also in the public domain and he could do it without having to get permission from the copyright holder. And its unique as there was apparently no other recording of it online.

I don't know if this is one of the apps suggested but YouVersion Bible has several audio bibles other than KJV. The KJV and NIV are read my Max McClean. I think he sounds great. He has kind of an old school actors accent.

Image-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back