Best Available Translations of the TR in 2022

aaronsk

Puritan Board Freshman
Last edited:

NM_Presby

Puritan Board Freshman
I think the NKJV is undoubtedly the best modern translation. Most of the others don’t have the weight of scholarship behind them, or were done by a single man. The NKJV also remains pretty widely used, which is a big plus.

As far as comparison to the KJV, you could debate whether the KJV is a technically superior translation. I don’t know enough to firmly say whether that is the case, and I do enjoy the KJV as well. However, the reality is that many people in our increasingly poorly educated society will struggle with it, and the NKJV, while still requiring some biblical language acquisition, can ease some of the difficulty.

Last edited:

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Sophomore
I enjoy my Reformation Heritage Study Bible (KJV). I got one for super cheap a few years ago. One of the title pages was cut incorrectly. It didn't affect anything at all. It's just not "perfect."

Ok, I'm throwing this out there for anyone at RHB or elsewhere to see: bring back the FULL John Brown of Haddington KJV!

C4MERON

Puritan Board Freshman
I recently acquired the Reformation Heritage Study Bible and it is indeed superb.
My favourite KJV though is the flagship Longprimer from RL Allan.
As far as other TR translations go I have a copy of the ‘Modern English Version’ and its pretty good but I wonder if the NKJV might be better..?

retroGRAD3

Puritan Board Junior
I recently acquired the Reformation Heritage Study Bible and it is indeed superb.
My favourite KJV though is the flagship Longprimer from RL Allan.
As far as other TR translations go I have a copy of the ‘Modern English Version’ and its pretty good but I wonder if the NKJV might be better..?
I think so, but the MEV seems good too.

Taylor

Puritan Board Graduate
The MEV, although a great project, seems to me to be a lost cause. The publishing house—Charisma House, I believe—is horrible at marketing. They seem to care nothing about promoting the MEV. There has been a second edition of the MEV completed and sent off to print, but the publisher simply refuses to answer questions regarding when and how. Nothing is ever communicated, and fans of the MEV are left perpetually in the dark, much to their frustration (see the Facebook group devoted to the MEV).

My prediction: Unless the MEV gets picked up by Thomas Nelson or some similar publisher, it Will be forgotten in a decade.

Northern Crofter

Puritan Board Freshman
What are your favorite TR translations and why? What issues do you see with modern TR versions and what benefits do you see with them over the KJV & Geneva? Is the NKJV the best modern translation in 2022 or are there others?

This thread was spawned from: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/one-more-textus-receptus-critique-question.109224/post-1315705
It is also a sister thread to: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/what-is-your-favorite-non-KJV-tr-based-english-bible.109299/
The Geneva and the KJV/AV because they were both authorized for use in the Church by the civil magistrate of a Christian nation.

Ironically it was King James VI (Scotland) who authorized the printing and maintenance of the Geneva in every Scottish congregation before later deciding he didn't like its anti-"divine right" commentary and supported the creation of the AV. So the Geneva was really the first "AV"!

I only know of one "Christian" nation (constitutionally) so are there any other TR versions adopted by a Church? (I don't know of any such adoption in the US). I've never understood why, if Scripture is foundational to our faith, churches and denominations do not at least officially endorse a translation (I know a few state which is to be used in public worship which is close) - not to claim it's inspired but to commend it as a faithful translation to its members.

retroGRAD3

Puritan Board Junior
The MEV, although a great project, seems to me to be a lost cause. The publishing house—Charisma House, I believe—is horrible at marketing. They seem to care nothing about promoting the MEV. There has been a second edition of the MEV completed and sent off to print, but the publisher simply refuses to answer questions regarding when and how. Nothing is ever communicated, and fans of the MEV are left perpetually in the dark, much to their frustration (see the Facebook group devoted to the MEV).

My prediction: Unless the MEV gets picked up by Thomas Nelson or some similar publisher, it Will be forgotten in a decade.
Very good observations. I mentioned in another thread at some point that I had no idea this translation even existed until someone at the conference brought it up. Apparently, it's been out since 2014. Was not aware that a second version was in the works either.

Before

Puritan Board Freshman
1549 Tyndale facsimile. A challenge trodding through the olde Gothic print plus it was written in blood.