Best Available Translations of the TR in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Thomas Nelson really is at the top of the game right now in terms of Bible publishers!
That’s very debatable. While they have certainly improved, I would not rank them at the top. Their leather covers are decent, but their book blocks are—I believe without exception—still printed in China. This is like covering a turd in gold and calling it exquisite. The best Bible publishers are still the “big three”—Allan, Schuyler, and Cambridge.

I have not had a fancy bible but I dont think the TN text block looks bad. Though I would prefer them not to be printed in China. What is the difference one would look for in a fancier text block over Nelson’s offering?

I wouldn't go as far as Taylor in his view of Thomas Nelson. I agree they are not as good as Allan, Schuyler, and Cambridge, but TN's new offerings are impressive. Their premium line up is decent.

I would stick with Allan and Cambridge personally. I like traditional looking bibles but without the fluff. This is where Schuyler and TN can be a little too much for me with their faux renaissance flair. The Allan Longprimer 53 is well worth the investment. I've had mine since 2008 and it still looks new. The cross references and Names, Subject Index, and Concordance is a constant guide for me. Cambridge Pitt Minions are awesome for their small size. With the NKJV you can have the same layout if you have the Pitt and Wide Margin (I like this set up for my ESV end).

TBS is another favorite. The Westminster with Psalms is hard to beat for the value. I appreciate the difficult or archaic words explained in the margins and the quality build of the bible overall.

For KJV: Allan Longprimer 53; Cambridge (Turquoise, Cameo, and Pitt); TBS Westminster.
For NKJV: Cambridge (Pitt and Wide Margin); Thomas Nelson.

I like my TN text block quite a bit. Line matched, clear font, very beautiful and readable. What about being printed in China makes it a “turd”? The paper quality?

I like my TN text block quite a bit. Line matched, clear font, very beautiful and readable. What about being printed in China makes it a “turd”? The paper quality?
Possibly that every product made in China is one not made in the USA, which then has far-reaching ramifications when it happens 100,000,000,000 times?

What about being printed in China makes it a “turd”?
The mere fact that it's made in China.

Seriously, I question the quality not only of the paper but also of the print and the binding. I simply trust the Netherlands and London binderies.

Why not just appreciate the TN line as being better for the others who definitely won’t go Allan/Schuyler? The average user has a far better selection now compared to grainy non line matched bibles last time.

Why not just appreciate the TN line as being better for the others who definitely won’t go Allan/Schuyler? The average user has a far better selection now compared to grainy non line matched bibles last time.
I never said they were bad. "Covering a turd in gold," though admittedly a little crass, was merely an illustration. There is no shame in buying Thomas Nelson's top-tier Bibles. I'm sure they're fine. I was only disputing the claim that they are "top of the game." They are very objectively not—in my opinion, not even close.

Having been a union Ironworker for 20 years I have always been an advocate for made in USA. Be that as it may, some of the finest printed and bound Bibles now come out of the Netherlands, by Royal Jongbloed. They are the exclusive printer/binder for Schuyler, and sometimes for Allan and Crossway. The Crossway premium ESV Legacy and Heritage are wonderful examples if that translation agrees with you.

I read various translations including the NIV. Unfortunately my 2011 NIV with a beautiful goatskin cover, has a Chinese block. Allan hasn't printed a UK NIV block since the '90s as far as I know. I have an Allan '84 printed by Clay's (UK) in '98.

On the other hand, an Allan personal size SC paragraph ESV ... Chinese block, has perfect line matching, very good opacity, and I'm pretty sure 32 gsm paper. Same with my 2011 NIV. So, giving the devil his due, there are some Chinese blocks that are of a better quality.

On the one hand that we are doing business with an evil empire that is anti Christian certainly is regrettable, but on the other hand, I can hope that since China is the largest printer of English Bibles in the world (so I've read) that some individuals who are elect will come to the knowledge of the truth through that vocation of working in the houses that do the printing.

That’s very debatable. While they have certainly improved, I would not rank them at the top. Their leather covers are decent, but their book blocks are—I believe without exception—still printed in China. This is like covering a turd in gold and calling it exquisite. The best Bible publishers are still the “big three”—Allan, Schuyler, and Cambridge.
I should have added a caveat-- I meant they are at the top in terms of major Bible publishers, not including those who produce only premium editions. I agree those publishers you mentioned are higher quality. However, in terms of non-premium production, I think Thomas Nelson is beating out Crossway and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back