BEST BBQ STATE...Redux....

Best BBQ State

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
We did a BBQ poll a few years back, HOWEVER, we have new members, some have changed locals (those in Texas a SURELY convince of the supremacy of Texas BBQ!) Let the game begin.

Now I , in my little Poll, named states in renown for BBQ. I I "happen" to have missed one or two. Please do write it in. (Chuckle.):cool:

NJ is not a choice????? Since I live here and luuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvv the grill (and some would say I have become quite good at it) I can't vote.:stirpot:

NJ is not a choice????? Since I live here and luuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvv the grill (and some would say I have become quite good at it) I can't vote.:stirpot:
You just voted my Friend....NJ! PB is PROUD of the effective write in system employed!:popcorn:

Ok, I know this video has been posted on the PB before, but it appears that it is needed again. For those of you from the North this should help to give you a basic introduction into the world of BBQ and should clear up any misconceptions you may have about what that term itself includes.

[video=youtube;6ubTQfr_tyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY[/video]

What happened to North Carolina?!? Also, you need to put Mississippi in there as a choice as well -- completely gristle-free BBQ!

And the best sweet sauce in the world is from Greenville, SC! Smokin' Stokes BBQ and their world championship Cheerwine sauce! They cater a meal at the ARP's General Synod every year! Yum!

What happened to North Carolina?!? Also, you need to put Mississippi in there as a choice as well -- completely gristle-free BBQ!

And the best sweet sauce in the world is from Greenville, SC! Smokin' Stokes BBQ and their world championship Cheerwine sauce! They cater a meal at the ARP's General Synod every year! Yum!

Yeah, but what about Texas?

Well, I've been all 'round this great big world and I've met all kinds of.... BBQ. And to be honest, I've found something to admire about all different styles, so I'm not gonna get into this "my BBQ is red hot, you're BBQ ain't diddly squat" silliness. But my favorite, which probably is such just by acclimation, is Mr B's BBQ in White Post, VA. Run by decendents of local farm slaves whose families have lived on land ceded to their ancestors by their former masters after the 'Great Disappointment' (at least to you gents enamored of the antebellum days), they know how to take a pork shoulder and turn it into a veritable thing of beauty, as well as spareribs, chicken, beef ribs, and even excellent steamed shrimp. Their chopped pork BBQ is my favorite comfort food. My beloved bride will sneak down there when she knows I'm sorrowing about one thing or another, and bring home a quart of that, some baked beans, some shrimp, and a package of buns, and knows it will bring a smile to my dour face.

We used to live in White Post, in simpler days, and have had the pleasure of Thanksgiving turkeys smoked to perfection (and some of you might remember I do not like turkey, but this ain't really turkey, it's a little piece of heaven), many a joyous fellowship dinner at our humble abode of Mr B's delicacies, and numerous feasts from there with my little family when the kids were but babes, so it holds a special place in our hearts.

I love to go in there and shoot the breeze with those neighborly folk that I've known for 15 years, smell the outdoor smokers, and watch my kids with big round eyes stare through the glass cases at mounds of deliciously prepared meats. So ya'll can scratch and snit over whose is best for whatever reason, and I'll tip my hat to every one of you - I'm sure what you like best is just that for you - but I'll be happy with my 'lil roadside BBQ shack 10 miles from my home. That food comes loaded with precious memories that no sauce from anywhere could hold a candle to.

Yeah, but what about Texas?

The poll is obviously flawed. Texas is being compared to states that are not known for their BBQ. A similar analogy might be this: Who is the most orthodox theologian? A) Rick Warren; B) Arius; C) Nestorious; C) Pelagius; D) Charles Finney. I know the correct answer, but I ain't happy with it. :D

No one who's ever been to South Africa, whether Northern or Southern or Western or Eastern or Black or White or Asian or Hispanic or Liberal or Conservative or Rich or Poor or Catholic or Protestant or Pentecostal, or whatever will deny that a good, Afrikaner "braai" with range feed meat is the best in the world.

Wood that you have to collect by hand from the wild, one match, an old grill over rocks, good friends and good drinks, salt and pepper and MAYBE a bit of sauce, warm nights, no one within miles except you and your friends and family, soft music playing in the background, stars that no one in North America or Western Europe have ever seen due to pollution. No, you can't beat that, and again, no one who's ever been there will contradict this Californian son of the South.

The four main styles are

1. Texas
2. Memphis
3. KC
4. Carolina

In that order in my opinion.

Every other type of BBQ branches from that.

The four main styles are

1. Texas
2. Memphis
3. KC
4. Carolina

In that order in my opinion.

Every other type of BBQ branches from that.

Brother, thou speakest with great wisdom!

Using your rubric, how does nasty sauce-already-cooked-in-it Georgia BBQ fit?

Uh, where is the poll choice for Oklahoma?

If you left it out on purpose, then you are in sin, Brother Crimm.

Ha, while I love the tomatoey BBQ around here (especially in NC, where they serve hush puppies and brunswick stew... MMMM!), and while I adore good old Texas brisket, gotta go with Memphis. I only had ribs at Rendezvous once, and still miss them. :)

West Tennessee pork shoulder and dry ribs. (They ain't dry.) My family have been pit masters for generations. Come to my house and I'll convert you to the Truth! If you disagree with the Truth you must repent or that fire you're tending all night (You do sit by the pit all night don't you? A proper pork shoulder is on the pit for at least 18 hours.) won't be nothing.

My family has barbecue on both sides West Georgian and West Tennessean. West Tenn. is tops.

Brisket? Come on. That's scrap meat.

BTW, if you go to my blog you will see that I have posted the gospel song of barbecue there as well.

One of my son's is an attorney in Fayetteville (AR). He introduced me to the . . .

wholehogcafe.jpg

Listed in Fodor's:

1 of 5 Restaurants listed as "Don't Miss" as you travel through Arkansas.

Arkansas Times Reader's Choice Awards:
Winner - Best Bar B Q 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Arkansas Democrat Gazette: Best BBQ 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

2002 Awards:
Memphis-in-May World Championship
First Place Whole Hog
Second Place Ribs

2001 Awards:
Arkansas State Championship
Governor's Award
Reserve Grand Champion
First Place Whole Hog
Second Place Pork
Second Place Chicken
Fourth Place Ribs

2000 Awards
Memphis-in-May World Championship
Second Place Ribs
Tunica Rivergate Festival
Grand Champion
First Place Whole Hog

Springfield Area Rotary's Rockin Ribs BBQ Festival
Grand Champion
First Place Whole Hog
First Place Shoulder
First Place Ribs

Batesville Ozark Hawg BBQ Championship
First Place Whole Hog
Third Place Shoulder

It is FANTASTIC with or without the sauce. I rest my case.

BTW, if any of you dare to try it, I recommend the "volcano."

Sauce No. 1: Sweet, mild, molasses.
Sauce No. 2: Traditional tomato, vinegar, slightly tangy.
Sauce No. 3: Same as No. 2, but much spicier!
Sauce No. 4: Traditional Southern vinegar & spice.
Sauce No. 5: Sweet, heavy, molasses.
Sauce No. 6: Rich mustard & vinegar, Old South favorite.
"Volcano": Available at the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back